Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm your Huckleberry
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be making a nice, big fire pit in my backyard this year out of some local stones.

I have all the stones lined up and ready to go, but what i'm really needing is the actual grate for cooking.

Can anyone give me some good recommendations for some? Or, even better, something that will accomplish the same thing even though it isn't it's intended purpose?

I'm looking at something about 3-4 feet wide at the moment. Thanks guys

·
Retrofitted Sheeple
30,078 Posts
Generally speaking, if your pit is built and used correctly, it shouldn't matter too much what you use as the temperatures won't climb particularly high. Original Caribbean fire pits which were the origin of modern barbecue even used sticks. That should give you some idea of the relatively low temperatures we're talking about.

So if I were you, I'd look into something durable and easy to clean. Maybe something made from a single piece of metal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you know how to weld or know someone who can for you, you can build a nice one. Just buy a couple grill grates and a couple metal rods and weld 'em together. I built a grill out of a barrel and welded 2 grates together for it. You could also find some heavy duty chicken wire (or something similar) and reinforce that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is mine, that I built from an old large truck rim. I built a flip-over grate from 3/8" rebar. I made the flip grate to hold a Dutch Oven or cast iron skillet. It has a removable charcoal grate in the bottom and a removable 22" grill grate in the center. These are held up by 1" rebar nubs.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I forgot to say, I covered the two large holes in the bottom sides with steel plate. I covered the large round bottom hole and the small holes with a piece of #9 expanded steel. I cut it into a circle to fit the whole bottom. This keeps any large pieces from falling out. The ash pan underneath is a galvanized pan. It never gets hot enough to burn the galvanized coating, so there is no worries of contaminating the food. I remove the grates and use it as a fire pit. It works great. Now, I just need to make or buy a lid for it.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
923 Posts
I cut a 55 gallon drum in half and buried it part way in the ground. It works pretty good but I do plan on ringing it up with rock. The grill is cast iron and came off my old aussie grill. I have the grill a griddle and a wok plate all cast iron the fit it.

Attachments

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
Before I spent the money for a high priced, store bought grate, I'd try the local scrap yard.
You might get lucky and find what you need there and only pay scrap prices for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts