Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the suburbs of St. Louis. Our yard is not fenced but our neighbors is. We back up to a large wooded area that our dogs loved to run in and **** my wife off. One of them always comes back after he has rolled in deer ****. I have decided to build a fence from local materials and use the existing trees a part of it. A wattle style fence maybe it a woven. Does anyone has tips or dyi advise?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Trees aren't going to keep anything in nor out.
You should use real woven wire or chainlink fencing unless you just want a pretend fence.

·
reluctant sinner
17,564 Posts
Build it as high as you can or are allowed. Dogs can be be very good jumpers and some are climbers. Don't forget to put something down on the inside too because they will dig out.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Depends on the size and breed of dog. Some dogs don't try to get out. My brother had a dog that accidentally jumped over a fence catching a tennis ball then barked until he opened the gate to let it back in.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Depends on the size and breed of dog. Some dogs don't try to get out. My brother had a dog that accidentally jumped over a fence catching a tennis ball then barked until he opened the gate to let it back in.
That sounds like a real fence, not some trees.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I built a fence in our backyard out of 4' tall 2x4 wire fencing. I put 4 strands of hot wire around the bottom and top on both sides (To keep the neighbor's dogs from visiting our jips). The hotwire helps alot. It kept a Great Dane in for over a weak and a couple of lab mixes when we were dog sitting for friends. They won't test the hotwire after a pop or two.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
If you are going with a wattle style fence from materials in the woods it will take a lot of branches and it will be very high maintenance. After the first year or so it will constantly be rotting from the bottom up and you will constantly have to work on it to keep it standing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I built a 700' long wattle fence about 4 years ago out of all willow. It was to keep our dogs out of the garden / orchard and so our chickens had a larger place to roam during the day. Last year we ripped it all out and put in a chain link fence.

I wish I would of never spent the time with the wattle fence due to the amount of yearly maintenance.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts

I fenced in my backyard with a 6 foot tall privacy fence that I built 2 feet inside my property lines.

You mention that your neighbors have existing fences. It is common practice to ask for permission and-or to split the cost on that run if you tie into their fence and; that fence is your neighbor's fence; therefore, it is their call if you split the cost.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
:thumb:

I wish my mutt would run away and never come back. Sadly, she is a damn curse on me and will not leave. :mad:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I built a fence in our backyard out of 4' tall 2x4 wire fencing. I put 4 strands of hot wire around the bottom and top on both sides (To keep the neighbor's dogs from visiting our jips). The hotwire helps alot. It kept a Great Dane in for over a weak and a couple of lab mixes when we were dog sitting for friends. They won't test the hotwire after a pop or two.
That's a proper fence.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
:thumb:

I wish my mutt would run away and never come back. Sadly, she is a damn curse on me and will not leave. :mad:
When I was a kid I had a Pit Bull that got bred by a Doberman.
We gave one of the pups away 4 times and he kept coming back from over 10 miles away.
I suspect he ended up with a bullet in the head.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
When I was a kid I had a Pit Bull that got bred by a Doberman.
We gave one of the pups away 4 times and he kept coming back from over 10 miles away.
I suspect he ended up with a bullet in the head.
Yesterday when I was washing my truck my craptastic rescue mutt chewed BOTH of the leads for my Dobermans in two setting them both free from where I had them tethered. I actually saw the mutt snip the second lead. Took her a second...

Mutt ruined a perfectly good 30' lead in seconds. :mad:

Keep in mind the mutt was NOT tethered to anything at the time. (no need with her cause she is not going anywhere)

She snipped the leads for the dogs that WERE... :mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts