Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's some stuff I bought at Giant to put away for a "rainy" day :)

I was bored/curious, so did some stats of everything, which shows that when shtf, buy out the rack of peanut butter :O
And sadly the mighty spam is at the bottom next to the list, only beating jelly lol. I had to buy it though!

Overall, $38 for so much food (and only me eating it) will last a while, gg Giant and the even cheaper "Guaranteed Value" brand! (The GV honeys were a great deal, especially since the cheapest ones were in the smallest containers!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the above with some stuff I already had:

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/4172/dsc00391fm2.jpg

And neatly packed away in my storage closet (Both bags of cereal fit in a single box, just barely), crushables in the cooler, cans in the cooler bag:

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/1533/dsc00392kp4.jpg

I also have a 2 gallon bucket of rice among other stuff in the apartment, so I didn't bother with a bag of that, plus it's kind of expensive at Giant. Now that I have some food that will last me a bit, my next step is BoB supplies :)

And I guess this is my first post, hello. (though i've been lurking for a while :3 )

·
Registered
111 Posts
Welcome Kevin R!! looks like you're already ahead of most people!! i can already tell that you are going to be a welcome addition to this forum!!

ps.. GET MORE TOP RAMEN!!! lol

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Kevin welcome to the prep community .
Keep your eyes open for sales on food you eat. It's amazing how your preps will grow at an extra $5 or $6 a week in canned goods you put away every week.
Save your 1 gal milk jugs, wash , bleach and store drinking water in them.
When your closet gets full , start storeing your preps under the bed or in the space under your couch.. Before long you'll have 6 mos. worth of food.
Good luck and keep prepping........Alaskan.....Dennis

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
do you have a 99.cents store or a dollar store near where you live
they have great prices on can goods for use as backup foods

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
cheap meal that i make up need is go to wally world and get the 50.cent cans of potatoes and corn and with can of chicken or pork or spam meat throw all togerther and cook it and spices to taste and not bad for a 5.mm meal

·
Prophet
1,261 Posts
thats a good start, no keep adding... before you know it, you'll have a whole pantry full! ;)
You might want to also think about adding a few water containers to that.
I myself have a few weeks mabye a month's supply including rice, lotsa beans, and single serving tuna 'pouches'(too many things to list here...). Wish i could find the single serving chicken/spam pouches here in canada...

peace
al

·
Registered
91 Posts
may I suggest you add some canned fruit ... it can become a breakfast meal or a dessert later in the day. It is nice to have a change of pace from the heavy flavors. If you drain the juice and add water.. makes a nice fruit juice.

cereal... you might want to pick up a small box of powdered milk. With a little flour and milk, makes roux to put over your black beans and rice.

canned vegetables with garbanzo beans added (including juice), throw in ramen noodles or rice to make a soup... dice spam and throw in.

Menu planning it probably the best way to get started, then you build from there.

I agree with the 99cent store or the Dollar store for canned food.

Tuna in oil lasts longer then tuna in water.

get lots of water! even bottled water and stick under your bed.
need water to cook rice.

they make a nice 3 bean salad in cans!

·
Registered
428 Posts
welcome kevin, your not the only college student that has lurked for a good wile. peanut butter is great as a prep food. the other guys are right about spices, they can go a long way to making things taste good. rosemary is really good with lemon peper. i use it on chicken and all sorts of stuff.

·
Wherever I may Roam
339 Posts
If you can afford can food on a college budget, you're ahead of alot of people...I remember the Ramen days! Welcome to the boards!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts