Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread on this subject a week or so ago. At the time, I thought Wal-mart running out of ammo was just coinciding with the holidays. BUT...tonight I went to Wal-mart to get some supplies. I went to the outdoor section and asked the lady for some 40 cal. She had this "I don't know if we have it" look on her face. She did find 2 boxes of 165gr FMJ in 40. No hollow points. They didn't have much ammo at all. She said she didn't know what the deal was. She also said "you better get it while you can" and then tried to cover her statement with some jibberish. She also said that she knows they will not be getting any more Federal brand ammo in. Something was strange about the entire conversation that took place between us. Almost like she was trying to tell me something without simply stating it.
It may just be that the ammo manufacturers are having a hard time keeping up with demand. Hopefully that is all it is. I guess we shall see.

·
NO!
106 Posts
I would say it because everyone is hording ammo, I know I'm guilty of it, as soon as its there I try to buy it. The manufactures can't keep up with the demand. I have been thinking that I might try reloading after we get our house built.

·
Da BADDEST MoFo!!
518 Posts
I too have been having issues with the Silsbee and Lumberton Wal-marts (kev you got the same issues?) being out of ammo. I was told buy a guy i went to school with that after march the Lumberton store (where he works) will not carry any firearms and very little ammo.

As of lastnight there were nothing but the crappy Federal 22lr rounds and no 30-30, 40cal and one box of 9mm (i bought it). The price of the rounds have already went up almost $1 a box and the 300wsm rounds (1box) i found are $40-20rds... that right at $5 a box more than feb-march of last year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
one of my local walmarts has a very poor selection and is almost always low on ammo. the other just updated there ammo cabinet and have more than they ever have now. so its kind of a toss up.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If there is something sinister going on I seriously doubt that the sporting goods cashier is 'in the know'.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Walmarts might been running low because "everyone" shops at Walmart and "everyone" is buying ammo. I have 2 Walmarts within 20 miles of each other, they both have plenty. But I have noticed that every time I go in the sporting goods section it is jammed packed with people waiting to buy rifles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have found that from an insider that works for the corporate giant that it's not that Wal-Mart doesn't want to sell the stuff,they just can't get it like everyone else.

As we know Wal-Marts prices are lower then mom and pops store because they order in a much much larger quantity.Guess what,when that much much larger quantity isn't available, that can't sell it at there "smiley face" prices.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
I was at Wally World this evening looking for .40 s&w. The lady there told me that everyone bought it up for New Year's and that the next thing they're setting out is the turkey stuff. She did say that she wouldn't expect any in until next week. They were drowning in .22 though. I should have gotten there before the holiday crowd but I'm thinking that getting into reloading my own might be best anyways. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I was at Wally World this evening looking for .40 s&w. The lady there told me that everyone bought it up for New Year's and that the next thing they're setting out is the turkey stuff. She did say that she wouldn't expect any in until next week. They were drowning in .22 though. I should have gotten there before the holiday crowd but I'm thinking that getting into reloading my own might be best anyways. Decisions, decisions.
Smartest thing I've read all day. I went and reloaded 100 rounds for the Garand this afternoon. Didn't have to leave the house, no lines to wait in or cashiers to round up and it cost me under what 40 decent commercial rounds would have. I hope you get into it firecraft.

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
Many Wal-Marts have decided not to carry Firearms. Only the stores in heavy hunting and rural areas with no gunshops will carry guns, and at the descretion of the store manager. This was a decision made by their HQ last year, after many lawsuits from lack of background checks, and sales regulations. Certain employees have to be trained to sell firearms and how to run the background checks, etc. This is one store section where you can't have a kitchen employee or hardware guy fill in for the day. ATF cited numerous wal-marts for failures on forms and regulation violations. In addition, Wal-mart settled a mega-lawsuit a couple of years ago, after a man purchased a shotgun and ammo after his divorce and child custody hearing. He had a restraining order against him for violence and actually answered the question on his form truthfully about that. The clerk, didn't notice it, and did not call in a background check because she didn't know how to conduct the sale. She took the money and he left. He went to his In-laws home and killed his ex-wife, her parents and his teenaged son, then himself. A big time suit resulted in I believe 13 MILLION dollars in the settlement. OUCH!
As for the ammo, wally world has been selling primarily during the hunting season with rifle and shotgun ammo. I have only seen some basic FMJ ammo for handguns, and I have never seen hollowpoints at any walmart I have been in. Everybody is buying ammo. Even your anti-gun neighbor down the street is buying the hell out of ammo right now. Wal-marts inventory on ammo has always been limited in quantity, except when they do a truckload sale on shotshells before waterfowl seasons. I don't think there's a big conspiracy here. Just typical freakin' WalMart.

·
Going Postal
14 Posts
I guess I live in heaven then. I have access to about 1/2 dozen Walleys and all carry ammo. Three have a significant selection with reloading supplies etc.

Al

·
Git'er done
94 Posts
I was walking through W-M a couple weeks ago and noticed there were a lot of empty shelves in the food section. I went back a few days later and they were still empty, odd. Have you ever noticed everything in wal mart is made in china.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
I hope you get into it firecraft.
Thanks. Between saving for a house, all the other supplies we're trying to stock up on, and not knowing how to do it, I just haven't taken the plunge yet. I don't think time's on my side though so I'm getting antsy!!

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Question for the group ... I bought a shotgun before the election (A Remington 870 20 gauge) and have bought a bunch of shells of different types.

Is it possible to re-load/make your own shells with bought components as some of your do with pistol and rifle bullets?

If so, any suggestions for sources?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Question for the group ... I bought a shotgun before the election (A Remington 870 20 gauge) and have bought a bunch of shells of different types.

Is it possible to re-load/make your own shells with bought components as some of your do with pistol and rifle bullets?

If so, any suggestions for sources?

Yes, I do it. Here is one innerweb supplier amongst many...Midway USA. I'd also check sporting goods retailers in your neck of the woods.

All different tools that rifle/pistol tho.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Living here in Portland Or we have a lot of anti gunners in certain areas. What I did for alot of my freinds when they were going crazy was to go to the stores that were in the center of all the hippie types. They got almost all the ammo they could afford. Dont try where everybody else runs to think outside of the box that even makes it more fun.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Thanks for the link Fishbread. It seems the are out-of-stock on some of the shotgun shell reloaders. Interesting.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts