Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have more Bug Out stuff than I'll probably ever need. Sold a bunch recently but still have a bunch. Although I have a couple of Bug Out Bags in my home ... most of my bushcraft, survival, emergency, and wilderness gear is currently in a storage unit.

So this is what I'm thinking of doing:

I want to remove the back seat of my 2003 Silverado and replace it with a large "Bug Out Box" which can be filled with essential, important, or useful items that could be used in various emergencies, camping excursions, survival situations, or for general purposes.

Has anyone attempted a similar alteration or "upgrade" to your vehicle and, if so, is it something you built yourself or is there a product on the market that would fill this niche?

I do have a metal tool box for the bed of my truck but it doesn't hold a lot and the stuff that I keep in it are more oriented towards truck tools, jumper cables, spare oil & other fluids, etc. I want to orient an interior box for camping gear & survival stuff.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
IMO leave it stock.
Will the rear bench fold? Is it a full bench or 3/4 with a single on the passenger side?
Why not get a storage box for the rear space on the passenger side? If not a simple storage box then a med size cooler.
some of my tools go under my seat but water and camp stuff goes in my box.
If I don't limit myself my truck soon runs out of room and it gets tough to even go to the grocery store.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,539 Posts
I have more Bug Out stuff than I'll probably ever need. Sold a bunch recently but still have a bunch. Although I have a couple of Bug Out Bags in my home ... most of my bushcraft, survival, emergency, and wilderness gear is currently in a storage unit.

I want to remove the back seat of my 2003 Silverado and replace it with a large "Bug Out Box" which can be filled with essential, important, or useful items that could be used in various emergencies, camping excursions, survival situations, or for general purposes.

Has anyone attempted a similar alteration or "upgrade" to your vehicle and, if so, is it something you built yourself or is there a product on the market that would fill this niche?

I do have a metal tool box for the bed of my truck but it doesn't hold a lot and the stuff that I keep in it are more oriented towards truck tools, jumper cables, spare oil & other fluids, etc. I want to orient an interior box for camping gear & survival stuff.
WHAT VERSION.. ?
Extended with bat wing doors?
4 door?

I think a lot of the utility will be based on the ease of accessibility
BUt
if you have any skills at wood working you could actually build a seat box that would store a LOT but still leave you with the use of a back seat for more bodies if that would need to be a future consideration... might not be the most comfortable but it would still seat folks.

A good idea if you think you need the extra capacity.

Otherwise there are a lot of different boxes to go under the seats. Just need to figure out what you need.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,626 Posts
Good idea. I have toyed with doing something like that myself.
That damn seat does nothing but hinder me constantly. I store stuff in front of the seat, which prevents the bottom seat from folding forward which prevents the seat back from folding down to access behind it. I want to remove all the rear seat crap and tie it to Musk's next rocket to Mars. :)

Thanks for confirming my sanity and my next little project!
Operation Remove and launch the backseat. :)

The way they have it all interlocked together is surely the most diabolical thing I have ever seen.

Well, I cant grab that thing from behind the seatback, because it wont fold down, because the lower seat aint flipped forward, and cant flip the seat forward, because there is an air compressor and a bucket with oils and a charger on the floor.

Where is my dynamite! I'm sane . I'm rational. And I want to blow that back seat into outer space. :)

Wow, I just scoured the internet and it seems NOBODY has the same back seat type that I have. On planet Earth. They are all different.

My GMC was obviously built by Aliens. And their plan to conquer mankind is to drive me batty with a uniquely screwed up back seat design. It has cables and little pull straps and interlocks. Like a 3D Tetras game that is rigged to prevent anything from working right.

Wow, I Found 1 whole picture of the thing. As you can see, the entire back seat must be COMPLETELY empty to allow the seat bottom to tilt forward, which must be all the way forward, to release an interlock and allow the back seat to tilt forward.

Maybe just a little work with the cable cutters will get it to behave.

This looks like the seat back folded forward.
The thing has more gears and levers and pulleys than a bascule bridge.

Another guy with the same seat, except his doesn't even work.
https://www.silveradosierra.com/interior/2004-silverado-crew-cab-rear-seat-issue-t565098.html

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Just keep stuff out of sight. I used to keep a cooler in back seat but quit because of car prowl concerns. Its just too easy to break in, no reason to encourage that.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMO leave it stock.
Will the rear bench fold? Is it a full bench or 3/4 with a single on the passenger side?
Why not get a storage box for the rear space on the passenger side? If not a simple storage box then a med size cooler.
some of my tools go under my seat but water and camp stuff goes in my box.
If I don't limit myself my truck soon runs out of room and it gets tough to even go to the grocery store.
I have a large plastic box that I've used for several years but I've had my truck broken into twice in recent years so I'm looking for something for permanent and lockable. Also, I'm looking for something with more room for more stuff. I may have to start designing something myself. Perhaps a wood frame with plywood covered in carpet. Not sure yet.

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WHAT VERSION.. ?
Extended with bat wing doors?
4 door?

I think a lot of the utility will be based on the ease of accessibility
BUt
if you have any skills at wood working you could actually build a seat box that would store a LOT but still leave you with the use of a back seat for more bodies if that would need to be a future consideration... might not be the most comfortable but it would still seat folks.

A good idea if you think you need the extra capacity.

Otherwise there are a lot of different boxes to go under the seats. Just need to figure out what you need.
I do have the extended cab with "bat wings." I also have a heavy bass speaker under the seat which is anchored to the floor so whatever I decide to do ... I will have to work around the speaker. That being the case ... building something myself is likely my best option.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good idea. I have toyed with doing something like that myself.
That damn seat does nothing but hinder me constantly. I store stuff in front of the seat, which prevents the bottom seat from folding forward which prevents the seat back from folding down to access behind it. I want to remove all the rear seat crap and tie it to Musk's next rocket to Mars. :)

Thanks for confirming my sanity and my next little project!
Operation Remove and launch the backseat. :)

The way they have it all interlocked together is surely the most diabolical thing I have ever seen.

Well, I cant grab that thing from behind the seatback, because it wont fold down, because the lower seat aint flipped forward, and cant flip the seat forward, because there is an air compressor and a bucket with oils and a charger on the floor.

Where is my dynamite! I'm sane . I'm rational. And I want to blow that back seat into outer space. :)

Wow, I just scoured the internet and it seems NOBODY has the same back seat type that I have. On planet Earth. They are all different.

My GMC was obviously built by Aliens. And their plan to conquer mankind is to drive me batty with a uniquely screwed up back seat design. It has cables and little pull straps and interlocks. Like a 3D Tetras game that is rigged to prevent anything from working right.

Wow, I Found 1 whole picture of the thing. As you can see, the entire back seat must be COMPLETELY empty to allow the seat bottom to tilt forward, which must be all the way forward, to release an interlock and allow the back seat to tilt forward.

Maybe just a little work with the cable cutters will get it to behave.

This looks like the seat back folded forward.
The thing has more gears and levers and pulleys than a bascule bridge.

Another guy with the same seat, except his doesn't even work.
https://www.silveradosierra.com/interior/2004-silverado-crew-cab-rear-seat-issue-t565098.html
Hahahaha! I relate!!

I was keeping a large, plastic bin on the back seat which I strapped down with the seat belt. But after my truck got broken into the first time (almost $2000.00 in damages to the door locks; steering column; and the theft of several expensive items) -- I no longer keep it in the truck. It's currently in my storage unit.

There is a company that makes an under-the-seat storage container for GMC pickup but it's designed for 2014 trucks and later. Mine's a 2003. I was just hoping that someone had actually designed and built one for themselves and had some insight (or pictures) into what they did and how they did it.

I can't even remember the last time I had a passenger in the front of my truck -- let alone the back seat. That area is going to waste as it is.

I've even considered installing a compost toilet in that area with a padded seat on top. Could serve two purposes. But that's another idea for another time.

·
Let the Debate begin
6,378 Posts
I don't know how much you need to store.
But what if you bought a big old cooler.
That way, when your truck gets really hot inside
your stuff would not melt.
Anyone thinking of breaking into your truck would
think its full of food rather than tools.
In an emergency you could grab a handle and pull
it out to get full access, or quickly put it in back
so some one could sit in the back seat.
I would buy an old ugly one so no one would
want to steal it since people have tried to break in
before.

·
Let the Debate begin
6,378 Posts
Your idea may be better.
Buy a huge plastic toilet
and keep your stuff in there.
Make it look like its just been used.

Reminds me of when my Dad's radar
detector broke and he left it in his
blazer. Some one broke his windshield
to get it. He would have just donated it
to them had he known.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,626 Posts
I am thinking on mine I might just remove the lower part of the smaller passenger rear seat.
Then just stack all my junk in that space and leave the large seat mostly unencumbered by junk, for a passenger or small store purchases etc.

The trick will be to do it without destroying stuff to enable putting it back to original later if I want.

·
Let the Debate begin
6,378 Posts
Another possibility is a long drawer like contraption that would go from
one side of the truck to the other. Then you throw a blanket or something
on top so its not seen easily from the window. They also make a false
floor for the back of your truck to hold plenty of weight, then drawers
go under that.

If you take the seats out, it may look like its worth breaking into the
truck again. But if you can use the space in front of the seats and under
them, it may be a better idea,

Or remove only the bottom portion of the seats, then make your chest
out of wood, and cover both with a matching seat cover.

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,896 Posts

As long as you could yank out that box and stow it in a different vehicle, if you were forced to jettison your truck for any reason, then that may make sense. (As well as assuming you never need a back seat! :eek: )

To whatever extent possible, I attempt to keep preps in man-portable bins or cases or cans (ammo), such that jettisoning a vehicle doesn't mean jettisoning those preps inside the vehicle.

[This becomes increasingly challenging as I become increasingly older... :thumb: ]

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know how much you need to store.
But what if you bought a big old cooler.
That way, when your truck gets really hot inside
your stuff would not melt.
Anyone thinking of breaking into your truck would
think its full of food rather than tools.
In an emergency you could grab a handle and pull
it out to get full access, or quickly put it in back
so some one could sit in the back seat.
I would buy an old ugly one so no one would
want to steal it since people have tried to break in
before.
I am considering the idea of a container that spans the entire width of the seat. As long as I can find a way to lock it in place then I would be happy with that. I could easily attach a simple, hinged padlock system to it. I could even devise a way to attach an axle with wheels in case I needed to remove it and roll it away from the vehicle for any reason.

Reactions: Truck Vet

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reactions: TENNGRIZZ

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,626 Posts
***Mission Accomplished.***

Removed the passenger side seat. Just 2 pivot bolts, 2 more bolts that held a piece of plastic, 3 screws that held another piece of plastic, and wrapped mechanic's lock wire around the interlock switch for the seatback. Voila!

Seat is out of the vehicle, and now there is a really nice little storage/access area where the seat used to be. All the tools fit easily there in that space, The saws and emergency belt kit are behind the seatback, along with the tire change tools the truck came with. And all by emergency stuff slides under the other seat where i can simply reach it now. (Golock, Spetznaz shovel, Long handled Eastwing ax, big Schrade survival knife kit, jumper cables, lithium jump pack etc. One medium toolbox sits right between the 2 steel seat support pipes, and the huge 3 ratchet Husky socket and wrench set sits in front of that. plenty of room for a coupe smaller toolkits, hand cleaner, paper towels, rain gear bundle, work boots, etc. Moving blanket tosed on top makes it all disappear.
if you wanted to lay down in back you could still even do that. Just put your legs on the moving blanket and you still have 2/3 or whatever of the seat left.
And the truck is 20 lbs lighter at least with that seat gone.

Man, I wish I did that a LONG time ago!

Now to find out when Musk's next rocket to Mars takes off and go tie that seat to it. :)

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
***Mission Accomplished.***

Removed the passenger side seat. Just 2 pivot bolts, 2 more bolts that held a piece of plastic, 3 screws that held another piece of plastic, and wrapped mechanic's lock wire around the interlock switch for the seatback. Voila!

Seat is out of the vehicle, and now there is a really nice little storage/access area where the seat used to be. All the tools fit easily there in that space, The saws and emergency belt kit are behind the seatback, along with the tire change tools the truck came with. And all by emergency stuff slides under the other seat where i can simply reach it now. (Golock, Spetznaz shovel, Long handled Eastwing ax, big Schrade survival knife kit, jumper cables, lithium jump pack etc. One medium toolbox sits right between the 2 steel seat support pipes, and the huge 3 ratchet Husky socket and wrench set sits in front of that. plenty of room for a coupe smaller toolkits, hand cleaner, paper towels, rain gear bundle, work boots, etc. Moving blanket tosed on top makes it all disappear.
if you wanted to lay down in back you could still even do that. Just put your legs on the moving blanket and you still have 2/3 or whatever of the seat left.
And the truck is 20 lbs lighter at least with that seat gone.

Man, I wish I did that a LONG time ago!

Now to find out when Musk's next rocket to Mars takes off and go tie that seat to it. :)
That makes sense. So you leave the back seat in and remove the passenger seat. The box will sit sideways so when you open the door the lid is facing you and you can flip it up with ease? My seats are all electric. I wonder if that would mess up my wiring if I disconnected them?

Oh ... Trump may have a rocket ready to launch in the near future. The space program is underway.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,626 Posts
Yes, the seat back is still there. But I rigged the latch so I can just grab it and tilt it forward to access the stuff behind it. The part you sit on, just on the passenger side is removed.
The medium tool box sits fore and aft and the lid opens so you have perfect access to the tools. The big blow molded kit
sits in front of that. That has full 1/2, 3/8. 1/4 inch sets, and a full set of wrenches and hex keys. There were a couple more layers to the big tool box, but those stay in the garage. 3/4 drive ratchet etc. stuff I don't want to lug around for no reason.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts