Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,good to read all your posts again.
Some of you knew I was in Thailand for a few months doing a course and orphanage work. Well I am just back on track now after catching Denghi fever and being hospitalized for a while over there.Long story, but it is nice to be back and reading what is going on with all you survivalist comrades.
Hubby and I are on the farm still and preparing .Look forward to talking again with everyone.Bless you all ,farmerswife.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
god your avatar fits what went through my mind Trix

Glad to see you back, FW

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Glad to see you back.
Hope you are feeling better and everthing is good with the family.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Would love to hear more about it. Did you make it to Northern Thialand? I love Chang Mai and Chang Rai. Fewer tourist, MUCH better food. That is awesome that you gave your time to such a good thing like that!:thumb: My wife and I are very interested in doing the same thing next time we go. Any advice or recommendations?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Given the political, cultural and social differences you've just recently seen in Thailand, I have a simple question.

Are you glad to be back in the US? Yes or No?

Sorry, just saw your location is Australia.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome back. I was in the Chiang Mai region ,kodie1,
and loved the culture and food too. Unfortunately two of the orphans I met were struck with lightning last week and one of the boys died,their happy smiles will be missed by many,the other boy is still in hospital. Life is a little harder over there for the locals than what we are used too.
The influx of westerners certainly has a great deal of influence,as far as beauty and materialism goes. It is rather strange to see shelves lined in supermarkets and chemists with skin whitener for the asian skin whilst our western shelves are packed with fake tan!
Whilst some westerners are seeking survivalist strategies and a simpler life, the villagers there are flocking to the latest widescreen movie and dressing like Brad Pitt,a bit sad.Some might say that is a generalization,but when you see more coke bottles than bananas and mangoes along the muddied mountainside and microwaves in thatched roofed naturally air conditioned shantis, you know something has changed.
Yes, the political atmosphere on Thailand IS heating up, even though they claim to be a country of peace compared to their neighbors. What country ISNT in danger of social unrest at this point in history? The religious cocktails of the Asian worlds world have a root cause of emotional instability once politics become involved.
And.......saving face rather than facing the truth seems to rank high on the ladder of political and religious well being as well.
It is good to be back to my Australian farm,but I will never forget the simple joy of children with tragic past and the lively singing they did.
It is good to be home and see the clean water, the eucalyptus trees, the neighbours again,but I wont forget the help of the motel assistant standing in torrential rain,flagging down a truck taxi to take me to hospital,not worrying about her appearance for the rest of the day,looking foolish in the rain waving frantically,only concerned about my wellbeing,as I could not stand at that stage with Denghi Fever.
May we all find a good Samaritan in our time of need.Bless you all Farmerswife.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Very sad to hear about those two children.

And.......saving face rather than facing the truth seems to rank high on the ladder of political and religious well being as well.
I am currently living in Japan and "saving face" is a MAJOR theme all around Asia.

Whilst some westerners are seeking survivalist strategies and a simpler life, the villagers there are flocking to the latest widescreen movie and dressing like Brad Pitt,a bit sad
It seams as we are MAYBE just starting to learn our lessons from our mistakes, much of the rest of the developing world are just repeating them! I wish they would learn from our mistakes instead of copying them!:(

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
for being extraordinarily bright people- they sure are downright stupid at times.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Glad you are back home safe now. It's nice to see someone else cares about the poor too. Not many left that do in the world. It's getting to be taboo almost. I commend you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts