Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For your viewing enjoyment - some pictures.

Shonuff checking his cell phone to see if he had service. NOPE, no service out here.
DSC06822.JPG

Shonuff and my son filtering some drinking water.
DSC06829.JPG

I am on the far right with the boonie hat on. I was about to sit down and get our bearings on the map. My son cut his sleeves off and made them into sweat bands.
DSC06839.JPG

Shonuff chilling in his hammock at the camp site
DSC06840.JPG

Warming up an MRE with a camp stove.
DSC06850.JPG

The creek next to where we camped.
DSC06871.JPG

My sleeping arrangements
DSC06857.JPG

My sleeping setup on the left, shonuffs' on the right.
DSC06859.JPG

Our hammocks were about 40 feet from the creek
DSC06860.JPG

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
View from the creek towards our camp site
DSC06872.JPG

Shonuff warming up some dinner.
DSC06878.JPG

We took about 4 hours from where we started to the camping spot. Heat index was in the mid 90's.

The training on the tread mill for the past month really paid off.

videos will be posted soon!!

·
Antique Nurse
644 Posts
Looks like you had a good time! The creek is lovely. I miss camping. I miss being young enough that my bones enjoyed camping....

Thanks for sharing your trip!

Reactions: joes

·
Da BADDEST MoFo!!
518 Posts
I would like to point out that i now know just how out of shape i am. good god i knew i wasnt "in shape" but i didnt know it was that bad. Had a fun time tho.

PS: 212lbs doesnt seem like much till your hauling all that meat up and down hills and over unstable terrain =) I am also now on an even more crash diet than i was before the trip.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,952 Posts
A heat index of the mid 90's will take it's toll on the best of them SHoNUFF.
Great pics ya'll,...looked like fun.
4hours from start to camp,....I'm guessing it was about 12 miles trek.
What part of the East Texas piney woods where ya'll at about?

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I liked the creek, also and ShoNuff in hammock.
That is more my stle, nowdays!
Looks like a good trip and experience.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A heat index of the mid 90's will take it's toll on the best of them SHoNUFF.
Great pics ya'll,...looked like fun.
4hours from start to camp,....I'm guessing it was about 12 miles trek.
What part of the East Texas piney woods where ya'll at about?

We averaged about 1 mile per hour, plus with the heat we had to stop for water breaks every 20 - 30 minutes.

We were about 15 miles north of jasper, texas..

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do you have an estimate, of how much water, you used, on the way to your campsite?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just out of curiosity, do you have an estimate, of how much water, you used, on the way to your campsite?
About 3 quarts for myself

·
Da BADDEST MoFo!!
518 Posts
i didnt drink near enough fluids as i probably only took in 2quarts and then on the way out noone drank enough as i only started with 1 quart and didnt fill it up once on the way in. Kev and I both agreed we needed more water intake, then we hit a smooth path of ground and no creeks so we had to mush on.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We ran out of water about a mile from our destination. About a 1/2 mile from finishing the hike, we came across a dirt road where the ruts had water in them. We could have filtered this water but choose not to.

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
Much to my dismay I have discovered that old folks like me are hit very hard by high temps and especially high humidity. On your hike I would probably drink a gallon of water! Fortunately for me the humidity here is rather low during the warmer months (BTW it snowed last week!). Would you describe the area you were in as a pine forrest? I am interested to hear about inscet pests and repelants on your trip. Also, is there a quick and dirty meathod to calculate the heat index?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
M Would you describe the area you were in as a pine forrest? I am interested to hear about inscet pests and repelants on your trip. Also, is there a quick and dirty meathod to calculate the heat index?
Yes, part of what we went through is considered a pine thicket / forest.

We used deep woods off to keep the bugs off. The cool spring we had helped as well. The biggest problem, but not on this trip, is TICKS.

I do not know how to figure heat index, except the higher the humidity the worse it is.

·
Da BADDEST MoFo!!
518 Posts
HAhAH Humidity??? i would say around 50% or better sunday morning for SURE and around 20-30% saturday. Our humidity is what makes it suck so much. Dry heat, like in North Car i was up there fine with 95degrees no humidity. then i fly home to 80 degrees and almost pass out when i step out of the airport cause of humidity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts