Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn brother, how much stuff do you need? Thats living in style!
I'm keeping a full time cook in camp this year as well. Nothing better than chasin elk all day, getting back to camp, hitting the shower, and sitting down to a T-bone dinner with all the trimmings. Then the cook gathers all the plates and starts cleaning up before a dutch oven desert is presented. Yeah baby, elk camp is a delight. All this miles from the nearest road!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That be the president camp, now that's the way to do it. Thanks for those it brings back memories.
There is just nothing in the world like elk camp. Being back in that country for week after week, it becomes home. After a couple weeks up I will pack out for food restock, after a day or two in civilzation I am hankering to get back up to camp, it becomes my home away from home. It is always sad at the end of season to break camp and start packing out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
can someone fill me in on this Elk Camp bit? I have NFI what it means.

Also I see you are using the LPG bottles for the BBQ, do you take them back to civilization to get them re-gassed? Does that get to be quite heavy for the pack animals?

·
Hunter
2,994 Posts
Sort of like a present day democrat* to be going out camping with his ex.
They go out together, and at the end of the weekend, they come back but one's head is hanging off the official pEtA trained horse.

*that one's for you, "cash money" morris in case you need more BS for a cash/check/visa accepted funding letter scam, i mean program...............................

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Also I see you are using the LPG bottles for the BBQ, do you take them back to civilization to get them re-gassed? Does that get to be quite heavy for the pack animals?
Long story short as possible: I am an outfitter, clients pay me to take them into the backcountry and hunt elk. You have to get a special use permit from the USFS, and they don't give them out anymore, so the only way to get one is to purchase an outfit. We use horses and mules to pack into the back country. Everything is packed in, and everything is packed out at the end of season. All the fencing is tied to trees, and taken down after season is over, leave no trace. It takes about three weeks to set this camp up off horses, included a smaller camp a few miles away. All the wood is cut and split, everything is ready by the time the first hunter comes into "elk camp" to hunt elk for a week.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for explaining that to me :)

Long story short as possible: I am an outfitter, clients pay me to take them into the backcountry and hunt elk. You have to get a special use permit from the USFS, and they don't give them out anymore, so the only way to get one is to purchase an outfit. We use horses and mules to pack into the back country. Everything is packed in, and everything is packed out at the end of season. All the fencing is tied to trees, and taken down after season is over, leave no trace. It takes about three weeks to set this camp up off horses, included a smaller camp a few miles away. All the wood is cut and split, everything is ready by the time the first hunter comes into "elk camp" to hunt elk for a week.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Nice. Always wanted a set-up like that for my elk hunts. Always wondered about those big Cabella guide and outfitter rigs. Wondered how difficult they would be to clean and fold and how long they would last.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts