Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time we order from that very well known and "reputed" place. You most probably all know it. third time we receive baby chicks. the previous 2 times, all came overnight and we lost only one in the first week for each batch.

They shipped the 15 chicks 3-day. They left Monday and got them this morning. 1 was dead in the box. 2 will most probably not make it. 2 other are very weak.

Do I even bother to call them?

Thank you

·
Red Neck American
738 Posts
look at your numbers. a reputable hatchery sells a dozen, ships 15. they expect 3 to die and 12 to live, ... if thats the numbers you ordered, then you got your dozen. if you ordered 15, then call. a good hatchery would have accounted for that and put the extra in from the start.

·
Red Neck American
738 Posts
then call, complain. ask for replacments. then next time, find the hatchery that antacapates the normal mortality in shipping.
refer to the bakers dozen theory.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
How long did they ship for? How long did they sit at the Post Office? There are a few factors you have to consider before assuming it was the hatchery. Also, you should always let the Post Office know to contact you as soon as they get in. My post office would call me at 6:00am when they come in and would open their doors so that I can pick them up. One, because they are loud and annoying. Two, because they didn't want them sitting there for several hours waiting for an accident to happen.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They shipped Monday on a 3-day shipping. NOT overnight like the other places we ordered.
The post office called me this morning at 621AM. It did not sit there. The local post office is quite good for that stuff. We have a good (non government-type) postmaster. Once I had to complain and she took care of it and did a great follow up.
This morning they had rosters crowing into the post office when I picked up the chicks around 645AM(they have a bell you can ring and they serve you even if it is not open officially.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
I ordered lots and lots of chicks last year - probably around a dozen different batches, ranging from 25 to 100. Only once did I have a problem, and that appeared to be from a storm in which they ended up going to a different post office, and were driven over to the correct post office in what I assume was the guy put them on the front seat with the air blowing right at them. This was from Ideal Hatchery. They promptly sent replacements.

You have to remember that you are ordering very fragile, day old birds that are going to be put through the mail and shipped for hundreds of miles or more.

Did you have insurance? Or tell the hatchery that you did not want any extras? Most hatcheries will send extras, or even a lot of extra roos as "packing peanuts" to ensure the box stays warm. They particularly do that when you are only ordering a few, such as 15, and you can tell them that you do not want extras, but then they will tell you that it will be at your own risk.

What hatchery did you order them from? "that very well known and reputed place" could easily refer to several.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,046 Posts
I'd be interested to know who this "reputable place" is also. I've bought more chicks than some, less than others over the years and I can count the number of chicks I've lost on one hand. I don't "baby" my critters but I do take care of them.

If you've lost more than you think is normal, then I'd suggest using another supplier ... just my take on the situation ...

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
I'd like to know who it is as well. a 3 day shipment is crazy. Mine have always been over-nighted and I receive an email the day before so that I know to expect them the following day. That's when i call the P.O. and let them know...

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
With a 3 day ship time during a nation wide cold snap, I'm surprised any of them lived.
Ideal had an excellent special a few weeks ago, their last special until after Easter they said, and I was so tempted to order a bunch of the bantams (at $1 each, too!). Very glad I didn't, as the temps that week here went as low as -10.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,940 Posts
The post office is undergoing a massive restructuring as well. The processing plants to the carriers are all operating on a different schedule, and if my plant is any indication, it's been going hard.

2 day priority things are coming in 5.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I use to run a truck that delivered the mail to the post offices. When I had a Sunday run and got baby chicks I would call the person receiving the chicks and let them know when I would be at their particular post office and they could pick them up, otherwise they would not be able to get them until Monday morning.

·
<--My Faverolle Chicken
878 Posts
I lost 10 out of a batch of 28 a couple weeks ago...The hatchery didn't put in a heat pack. It was kinda bad of them to forget to add a heat pack in Feb. It's cold everywhere in the country. I did call and they credited me back for 9 of them because they added one free. Baby chicks need 95 degree warmth when first hatched and will get chilled easily. I would say call and at least get them to give you a credit for the the ones that died.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We lost 14 of the 15 and I do not think the last one will make the day. Usually the baby chicks yap yap like crazy and those were very silent except 1-2 times we heard one yap yap. When we received the chicks, the warm pack was cold and probably died a while ago.

I do not like to name places on Internet because most people praise a place like it is the best or they put it down like it is run by the Devil itself. So please, DO NOT READ MORE THAN WHAT I WROTE HERE: The place were we bought them is Meyers hatchery. I talked to a gentleman and he was quite ok on the phone. He offered us the options of reimbursing the dead chickens or shipping us new ones. he told me to call him back Monday in case more die (6 were dead when I called him and I thought it would be all because all the other ones were active).

Because of the current political/legal/moral situation, I know people and businesses try not to give much information or lie. But I would really be curious to know how many chicks they had to reimburse with the batch we got.

Now a question: We have 21 chickens (2 rosters) the brands are Red Rhodes Islands, Rock barrels, Red New Hampshire. Tractor Supplies have Orpington and Red new Hampshire. We noticed the our Red New Hampshire are a little bit more aggressive. If we buy a batch or Orpington and Red New Hampshire, will we have more picking and feather pulling than we have now?

Thank you

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We received 15 new chicks from the same place. They were all alive and very noisy (the first batch was very quiet, excvept the distress peep peep here and there)

We had full credit of the lost chickens and the shipping cost. I asked this time for the fastest shipping time and it was priority 24-hour. It shipped Monday but I got the call from the post office only yesterday afternoon around 1500.

Funny story (not so funny). The girl at the counter REFUSED to handle the box and another employee had to bring it to me because she was scared of it. I saw the scene she made in the back by the opening behind the counter. When she came back with the employee, she said nothing and did not even look at me. She went to her station and pretended to be busy.

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,137 Posts
I've always bought them locally. That way you know they're gonna survive, and know what you're getting. Is there a big savings by ordering them?
Biggest difference is you get more choice. We've bought both ways. Had good luck with McMurry. No dead chicks and they shipped a few extra.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts