Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally! We have baby bunnies. Both does kindled (had babies) at the same time, even though they were bred a day apart.

One doe has a litter of 8. The other is slightly more nervous, so I didn't take her whole nest apart - I think she has 7 or 8.

So, from three rabbits, we now have 18 or 19.

If just for meat, I would butcher at 12 weeks. Because these are dual purpose rabbits and I do want the hides, I will butcher at 16 weeks in order to give the skin time to get a bit thicker.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
congrats on your meat department expansion and the addtion of the fur coat outlet

very nice i can't wait to get me some lucky feet and just a thought if a rabbits foot is so lucky why do the rabbits loose them?

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Ideas for the hides:

The first is the finished product from the second picture. You take the hide and start in the middle creating a spiral design (1 inch wide until you get to the outer edge of the hide), cut out the spiral, twist until you get a furry cording repeat with each hide, stitch ends together, wrap around frame and use cordage to weave the pieces together (like the old rug kits made from scraps). I will try to pos the full story for how to do it if I can find it again. http://www.primitiveways.com/rabbit_skin_blanket.html

The third is a sleeping bag made of the hides.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congratulations on the babies! That's a nice addition to the family/stew pot/craft pile. LOL.

I can't wait until I can start raising my own rabbits. I've wanted a bunny fur blanket for as long as I can remember, and I just recently made progress in getting my son to eat rabbit without complaint. Woohoo! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you butcher them yourself? Wow. I'd like to get rabbits, they are quiet for in the city. But, I know I couldn't kill them.

How to you use the meat?

Baby bunnies are sooo cute.

Very curious.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Congrats!!!

Im right behind ya and will be giving you a run for your money this spring as I expand a bit. Not only do I want the meat...I want the droppings for the garden too!!!

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you butcher them yourself? Wow. I'd like to get rabbits, they are quiet for in the city. But, I know I couldn't kill them.

How to you use the meat?

Baby bunnies are sooo cute.

Very curious.

Thanks
I can kill them. The meat is good used the same way you'd use chicken - but it's more lean.

The fur is useful, and my garden needs the droppings! And there's no mulchpile needed for rabbit poop - it's ready to use immediately.

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congratulations on the babies! That's a nice addition to the family/stew pot/craft pile. LOL.

I can't wait until I can start raising my own rabbits. I've wanted a bunny fur blanket for as long as I can remember, and I just recently made progress in getting my son to eat rabbit without complaint. Woohoo! :)
There are a LOT of babies! I'm off to a better start than I'd imagined.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Congratulations. I raised rabbits for a couple of years. They are easy to care for and have several applications on a homestead setting. Don't forget to try rabbit sausage.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I am looking for a good hand-powered meat grinder. Any suggestions?
Look in your area for restaurant supplier or if you don't mind Ebay they have some for between $30 and $60 that are suppose to be industrial grade. One of the sellers is in Ca so you would save on the shipping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts