Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost daily you will see people ask about what knife to use. What about axes. I currently have a fiskars camp axe the small one I have confidence in it and its nice and Sharp but looking to upgrade a little bigger and wood handle. Any suggestions it will be for camping and bush craft.

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I like the fiskars but want something bigger and I want a wood handle so if it broke I could replace handle. I like the ones ray mears uses

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,959 Posts
A lot of people focus on axes, but forget pruning saws and loping shears.

You can do far more in terms of producing fire wood per hour with a saw and shears than you can with an ax.

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A lot of people focus on axes, but forget pruning saws and loping shears.

You can do far more in terms of producing fire wood per hour with a saw and shears than you can with an ax.
It's possible that would be an interesting competition/ experiment but I believe more camp items could be created with the ax and although its heavier then the saw or shears I would rather carry one item instead of 2 and I'm usually not in that big of a hurry

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
When I do research on axes, the name that always comes up is the Whetterlings.

Still don't count out the Bahco Laplander Saw or the Kershaw Folding Saw. I hear people wasting folks on shelter building when it comes to Saw vs Axe. Personally, the axe is the last tool that I want to put into my BOB, and it comes after my fixed blade, multi-tool and Bahco. Still I think an axe does have a place in everyone's survival gear list. I just choose to place it after the first three. I do also want a 12" Ontario Machete too though, but hey, I'm just a gear head.

Oops I see Forest has already brought up that point. Still, I have to agree. I don't bring the loppers, but the saw is at the top. Not to mention the axe will cost you about 3 times what the saw does. Just my opinion though.

21,494 Posts
When I do research on axes, the name that always comes up is the Whetterlings.

Still don't count out the Bahco Laplander Saw or the Kershaw Folding Saw. I hear people wasting folks on shelter building when it comes to Saw vs Axe. Personally, the axe is the last tool that I want to put into my BOB, and it comes after my fixed blade, multi-tool and Bahco. Still I think an axe does have a place in everyone's survival gear list. I just choose to place it after the first three. I do also want a 12" Ontario Machete too though, but hey, I'm just a gear head.

Oops I see Forest has already brought up that point. Still, I have to agree. I don't bring the loppers, but the saw is at the top. Not to mention the axe will cost you about 3 times what the saw does. Just my opinion though.
I think the compromise is a small knife and an axe. for the weight. And then the axe does the job of a larger survival knife.

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the compromise is a small knife and an axe. for the weight. And then the axe does the job of a larger survival knife.
Exactly with the small mora I could clean animals and fish and.small tasks and anything else I can use the axe I have been leaning toward wetterlings because everywhere I look speaks highly of its quality and isn't outrageous in price I don't mind paying extra for something that will last a life time but if I spent the money on a gransford my gf would use it to remove my head

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Exactly with the small mora I could clean animals and fish and.small tasks and anything else I can use the axe I have been leaning toward wetterlings because everywhere I look speaks highly of its quality and isn't outrageous in price I don't mind paying extra for something that will last a life time but if I spent the money on a gransford my gf would use it to remove my head
I think you are selling your Mora short there. I've seen someone use a Mora to split wood before...Just saying...

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[Qso jabUOTE=Cragar;2913887]I think you are selling your Mora short there. I've seen someone use a Mora to split wood before...Just saying...[/QUOTE]

So have I and also the one price axes I have broken the heads off before with a wood handle you can replace it in the field

1 - 20 of 33 Posts