Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an Ontario SPAX 16 from a milsurp store the other day, and I am trying to determine if I should put it in my Car's GHB.

Background: My Truck's GHB does have an 18" camp axe in it, (the kind from home depot), so it doesn't look out of place. It's accompanied by a chainlink saw.

My Car has an E-tool in it that has a saw blade stored in its handle. My only other blade in my car kit would be the 4" folding SOG knife.

I generally believe that I could argue my auto GHB's off as camping bags, but I'm not sure if I could do that with the Spax stored in its ACU camo MOLLE pouch.

What says SB?

Thanks,
Hokie

·
podcaster
17 Posts
Carrying a get home bag is something that more people than you think do. It is not looked down on like it was just few years ago. To directly answer your question, better safe than sorry. A hatchet or an axe is always useful. If you like check out basicoutdoorskills.com, listen to episodes 10 and 58 for car kits, and episodes 82 for choosing a hatchet / axe, and 83 for axe and knife handling safety. You just cannot go wrong carrying a chopping tool in your vehicle.

·
podcaster
17 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I cary a small camping axe, a multi tool--pry bar, breaker etc, as well as pipe wrench, and battery operated chain saw as part of my "normal" kit, along with a "Come A long". I happen to live in an area where we have severe weather and more than once, we were able to move tree limbs and clear the road to get home. Why not? I am not in the burglary business...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll admit that I typically am in rural areas, the Spax is just a tool that fits well in a backpack so it seems a possibility for my car GHB. I do live in an area frequented by hurricanes and bad wind storms...

The complication I left out is that I occasionally work on government facilities and need to subject my vehicle to random inspection. Last time I got randomly selected I was not yet equipped with a GHB (years ago) so I don't know if it would go that in depth.

thanks for the quick replies.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Never bring a knife to a gunfight. Never bring a knife to an ax fight or machete or hatchet fight for that matter.

On the other hand - always have a knife or two. Arms length sucks - but if that's your reach. That's what life has dealt. I'm good with bic pens magazines or other things that pass through TSA. Ever knit or crochet? Just as deadly as box cutters.

·
Somewhere on a ranch...
1,944 Posts
I don't carry either one personally because I can't imagine what scenario I would need it for. My goal is to get home quickly, and traveling light takes priority.

However, if I lived on a small road that had a good chance of having a tree or something fall across it, I could see the benefit of a full sized axe kept in the back of the vehicle.

·
Woodsman
80 Posts
Seeing the title of your thread, I immediately thought of last winter when I was on a rural gravel road on a WMA here in Mississippi. A pretty rotten pine trunk had fallen across the road, about the top half of it was in the road.

I just hooked up my tow strap near the top end of the trunk and dragged that big rotten sucker out of the way. Put my 4-cylinder Tacoma in 4-Lo and eased her back really nice and easy like.

Felt pretty cool. Some rural folks pulled up right as I was dragging it out of the way. They waved at me happily in thanks. The tree musta just fallen.

·
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush
10,176 Posts
I keep a machete. I think I'll add an ax.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've worked the afternoon shift for many years and many times found myself driving home shortly after a storm has gone through. I keep a pair of lopping shears and a bow saw in the truck and car and they have always worked to make a lane passable when a tree has come down across it.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Maybe for a GHB and for in town car, but I would not worry about taking it to the woods.

Might be something for a boat, a small plane survival kit, and that sort of thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts