Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all have our physical preps on the way or sorted, the books are on the shelf and so on, but what other mental preparations do you think are important.

I personally think awareness is in very short supply. I think the level of those who truely know and trust themselves is very low. I also believe our awareness of others is also very low. Both of these are skills that take some time to master and can easily be put on the shelf and forgotten.

I also wonder how many people can tell the direction they need to go without using any outside means to do so - do they use their internal compass (ie you just know which direction to walk).

The last, and one I keep going on about, is the daily use of the intuition. Its like a muscle if you dont use it, you loose it.

·
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus
1,166 Posts
I set up satellite dish's as part of what i do for a living, i am getting pretty good at telling which way is what depending on how high the sun is. I have to use a compass as well for more precise measurments, its not as hard as it looks

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
I was born and raised in the Sierra Nevada's. Want to see me get hopelessly lost? Make me use a compass.

I found your comment are awareness to be right on. I often realize that some people just have no idea of what is going on around them. Cell phone/texting while driving is the perfect example.

There is a mantra in my occupation called "Situational Awareness". (SA for short) Basically, it's always knowing what is going on around you. It literally means always knowing which way the breeze is blowing. You can extrapolate from that to everything that is going on around you. And yes, it is a practiced skill particularly in todays world with all the distractions that are around us.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
awareness is good to practice. My dad was a cop and while we waited in the car at the store for my mom to come out or whatever waiting situation, my dad would ask us about the guy who just passed us and went around the corner. what was he wearing, how old was he, was he carrying anything? etc.. he would quiz us about anything. the car that passed us and disappeared down the road, how many people in the group walking down the street.... made us realize how much we missed.
Here's one I wonder about. How many of us are up to date on all our immunizations, especially that tetanus shot you've been meaning to get?

·
Survive... for what?
1,412 Posts
I make sure that awareness is one of my main non physical preps.

To many idiots are on their phones, ipods, ect... They wont see whats comming. Prepare all you want, if you dont see the warning signs your dead.

Observe everything!

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Test yourself.
At some meaningless point while driving, if you had to - could you call 9-1-1 and tell them the street and closest intersection to where you are?

Do you have a secondary and tertiary route to get where you are going, or to get home?

If you had to travel on foot, would you know which neighborhoods to avoid?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.