Survivalist Forum banner

What are your thought on leaving evidncento to the hoards and looters?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks I would like to discuss what people's thoughts and plans are for the items they leave behind at their house once we've headed off for the hills or what have you. I dont mean wedding albums, or hastily forgotten guns amd ammo but documents that may reveal where you went or what you have. A map in your sons first BOB left behind showing marked locations out in the rural County, receipts or order confirmation and printouts for bulk wheat in your office drawers, a note on your front door reading "Dad if you're alive come to the farm, thanks for raising me for something like this" etc. Now this is just to get folks thinking, and maybe help a few out that this might happen to.

In addition to those under my roof I have other friends and family in my group that have plans to join me at our BOL and they know how to get there. Being that our final/ permanent BOL is a ways away I have made one piece of evidence of where our BOL is located (there is no other documentation that we are the types for a BOL or that this property even exists to us). It's a map with directions in my wife's BOB showing an alternate more rural route that she's never taken to get there in case our primary route is compromised and she has get to our place without me in case I am dead, unconscious, passed out from yelling "I told you so!" or whatever makes me unavailable for the trip.. In the package is also a list of contacts and addresses for folks around the country, and other documents like a printing of aerial maps with borders and tax records for the properties as proof of ownership in case society starts over and there is an ability to stake claim to our BOL "officially" in the community (why lose 10 acres at the new townhall meeting? Again be prepared, things may not be complete armageddon. At our home we plan to leave a couple notes stating we have left for a few days and are coming back (why not make the squatters lose some sleep) and instructions for old friends to try and contact us by way of leaving/ sending letters to a, I will say government building in a nearby county, in the event things start calming down and we want can rejoin the bigger society outside of our very isolated little community.

Not trying to get off the point too much, so please lets keep this thread to discusssing/ helping others read about and check their house over for clues that inadvertently bring a threat to you after TSHTF.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If we ever have an event that would require a Bug Out to a BOL then I would imagine that looters will not be going through every item in your house. Your thing about the receipts I would keep them all at my BOL. A dead drop in the bushes or the gutters of the house would solve the problem of the note anout the farm. Get everyone so that they know if they need to leave a message then they use the dead drop.

This is a very interesting topic that I think a lot of people would neglect. Heck using the internet you can find where a lot of the Youtube prepping personalities live. Kinda blows their opsec.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I voted that I don't think it matters.

One, I have no BOL to be running off to. If I have to leave the primary location, my plan (made for those who live with me and others we plan to group with) includes predesignates for alternate meeting locations, signals to look for there, how long to wait, and such.

That, coupled with my plans for setting up the house to bug in, makes it less relevant for my situation.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If we ever have an event that would require a Bug Out to a BOL then I would imagine that looters will not be going through every item in your house. Your thing about the receipts I would keep them all at my BOL. A dead drop in the bushes or the gutters of the house would solve the problem of the note anout the farm. Get everyone so that they know if they need to leave a message then they use the dead drop.

This is a very interesting topic that I think a lot of people would neglect. Heck using the internet you can find where a lot of the Youtube prepping personalities live. Kinda blows their opsec.

I'll admit in another thread someone brought up how quickly you can find someone from "that" show, and I had his home address with aerial view in under 5 minutes as well. It might help in some instances for those bugging in to remove the address numbers on their/ neighbor apartment building doors and house addresses alomg their street in the event someone with a head on their shoulders is doing more than just rummaging through a neighborhood. This could give folks some nice added warning time to man battle stations or slip out the back. The postman of the future probably will not be Kevin Costner.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,841 Posts
I don't really have any information around the house than a scavenger could use. A few pieces of paperwork that lists the address of my business perhaps. But I don't intend to be at the business if the SHTF. There's nothing that would lead them to my BOL. I'm sure they'll have a lot of fun playing with my toys, and enjoying any food that I can't take with me. But that's where their entertainment will end.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If it got so bad that i had to leave my house.. I'd burn it..
That's exactly my feelings. I have a farm...all my equipment. My animals. My fields possibly full of food. If I couldn't take them I certainly wouldn't leave anything behind for others to use. Of course, that's a worst case scenario...not just a normal bug out for weather or something.

·
Follow your own star
1,905 Posts
Realy think as hard as it is going to be getting around after SHTF I don't see people going 100s of miles to get to my house.
When its clearly safer for them to stay inplace.
Sides if SHTF my place will be full of Good old boys,COs,LEOs and Military oh yeah and big dogs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree my house won't be burnt down either as long as I believe it may come back to us. As much as I am on my toes about being sure to take the appropriate actions in regards to our safety and survival I have wondered how long that way of life and mindset will last, whether years or generations. If things grow back to somewhat normal I'd like the kids to be a part of rebuilding, not just become inbred hermits.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
Think you have to consider this from two different sides. Yes raiders and scavengers as in someone who will destroy your stuff or only want to take your TV etc are one thing, but then I think of the sheeple who have younger kids that have not bought into the program.

Though it ticks me off that I have taken the time to prep and others have sat on their sheeple butts, I still would not mind if a sheeple mother and father with their young children stopped at one of my farms to harvest some corn, wheat, etc that may save that kid's life, especially as long as it doesn't take away from me and those under my care. I mean in a total SHTF situation, the crops would never be harvested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts