Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
AKA The Dragon
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a link with Pics of the most lethal Australian venomous snakes which you may encounter in the bush, urban areas on a day to day basis, or in survival situation.
Anti venom is going to be a big problem in a survival situation.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/gunnado/snakes.html

Geographical habitats, symptons and treatment.

http://www.usyd.edu.au/anaes/venom/snakebite.html
http://barney.asap.unimelb.edu.au/avru/web-new/biogs/A000020b.htm

From the information I have found so far, there aren't any venomous snakes in NZ.

Reactions: Herne

·
Bratach Bhan Chlann Aoidh
1,366 Posts
Thanks Dragon,
Just had a standard 3ft Brown in the back yard.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
thank you Dragon,we have browns and blacks here, but no tigers luckily.
I was swimming once and as my head surfaced,a big black snake was swimming towards me about four feet away.I did not want to test the theory of SNAKES DONT STRIKE IN WATER,so I dived under him.Ugh ,I always tell my daughters to keep their head above water, as the saying goes, now.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tangled with a tiger snake around Rockbank near Melton in Vic about 30 years ago.
Took my son yabby fishing at a local waterhole and this snake came out of no where, very aggressive. It chased the two of us about 50 metres across a paddock.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Was it spring Dragon?My husband has been chased by a tiger whilst trout fishing.Our youngest,I just remembered sat a foot away from a brown when she was two and she was reaching over to touch it when I spotted it.My husband also nearly sat on one whilst visiting a tree in the bush, he ran out with his trousers still down, and the four of us wished we had it on video.
On a darker note a friend who is a first aid trainer always brings up how wood heaps are dangerous as far as snakes go. He knew a little boy that was brought to him and died from tiger, the two year old fell on the snake and it went crazy.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is tragic when children are bitten, there is not a lot of time to get medical help.
It seems spring is the most active time of the year and usually very aggressive during mating season.
Have seen a lot more browns this spring than for quite a few years.
I think some are more aggressive than others, the eastern brown we have here and the tiger snake which has been seen in this area are perhaps two of the most aggressive.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
A mate and I were prawning a few years ago in a local saltwater lake. We scooped up a Tiger snake (unseen) in our 6mtr net as we waded around chest deep in the dark. He was not impressed. Unfortunately (?) we had to do him in, before he got one of us - he was PI55ED OFF big time. Beware, they swim very well.

·
1,366 Posts
The place we are looking at moving to has a reputation for some HUGE Taipans.
I'm not looking forward to that.
In fact yesterday I was there cleaning out gutters for the old lady and I found the skeleton of a snake with a skull nearly as big as my hand !! I hope it was a Carpet Snake and not a Taipan.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The skeletal remains, decomposing head of a venomous snake or the head of a dead one is just as dangerous as the living one.
The venom is still on the fangs, whether it is still moist or dried out.

·
1,366 Posts
I heard the story of someone up here found a pair of old leather boots in a shed so he put them on and felt a jabbing pain.
He took the boot off and found a puncture wound. Within a short while he had all the symptoms of snakebite and a wee while after that was dead.
The story goes that the boots used to belong to his grandad.
His grandad had been bitten by a Death Adder, through the boot, and had died. His wife or someone had thrown the boots into the shed and they had been forgotten about until grandson comes along and tries them on.

Just goes to show you. When your time is up....it's up. LOL

·
AKA The Dragon
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yer, I think that it is one item of clothing that won't be recycled or go foraging for.

·
1,366 Posts
Amazing that the thing bit through the boot, lost a fang doing it mind you.
If, of course, the story is true.
Who knows.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have heard of similar stories, some snake bite deaths have occurred simply because the victim didn't know they had been bitten.
Not a full blown puncture bite, but partial penetration or a scratch.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
One local farmer here raced to hospital with all the signs of snake bite,sweating nd paranoid he had been bitten by a tiger.The staff asked him if he saw the snake,NO,he replied>What was he doing at the time ? He replied he was picking blackberries.It turned out that the two holes looked like a snake bite, but ended up being a blackberry scratch.Lucky him.
which reminds me,if you want to pick blackberries with less risk of snakes biting you,put a plank on top of the blackberriesand climb up a little. the best blackberries are up the top anyway

·
1,366 Posts
I'd take a portable ghetto blaster and slip in a decent AC/DC album.
They say the more vibration you can make, the better. So, the louder the better. LOL

·
AKA The Dragon
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My wife was digging in a compost heap this morning, disturbed a juvenile eastern brown snake, it came back to have a go at her.
It met the shovel head on so to speak. So I stood shot gun literally in case Mum and Dad snake made an appearance. They didn't.
Sooo, if your are working a compost heap, beware.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Yes,that has been a word of warning down here too.I,m very pleased to hear your wife did not get bitten Dragon.
Oh, by the way 8PW, you probably know by now i can be a bit tactless, but I think I would run with the sound of ACDC too,sorry!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts