Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently RENT (1 year term ) an old victorian - 3rd floor is "attic space" even though the ceilings are about 18 ft high at highest pitch. Just signed for another year

I have about 1/5th of it packed with our "life junk" and the rest is wide open space - fully electric with 6 wall sockets, exposed rolled in insulation strips and not so good windows.

gets real hot in the summertime~not too cold in the winter as the house heat rises.

Any way to "cool off" an attic so that I can keep water supply and grains/rices /other canned foods up there in big totes?

I know grains and rices are kept in direct sun silos and everything is fine - I plan to store foods with OAs in mylar and toss all mylar bags in rubbermaid/plastic totes to keep out any animals...although we have no bug/mouse probs

I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for my particular situation. It'd be ideal to store all food prep up there due to space in the house. But dont want temps ruining all my hard work/$ spent.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Can you get a window AC unit installed by the landlord? Mention that you will pay for the unit if he/she allows you to deduct from the next month rent.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,662 Posts
Can you get a window AC unit installed by the landlord? Mention that you will pay for the unit if he/she allows you to deduct from the next month rent.
Man, you're going to run up a big bill if you're trying to air condition an attic.

Does this house have a basement? If so, that's a much better place to store those things.

I wouldn't put anything into an unheated attic that might possibly freeze. Connecticut is potentially very cold in the winter.

One thing that harms food is temperature swings. Storing in an attic will accentuate that, not only season to season, but even within a day.

This sounds like a big ol' house. Isn't there room inside the living space envelope to store the things that are temperature sensitive?

This is just me, but if I had gone to all the trouble of storing long-term preps in mylar w/ O2 absorbers, I wouldn't be putting it anyplace where I could and would expect temperature extremes.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,287 Posts
You can insulate it and install a small cooler. I've done that in my garage where I store my preps. It's odd since I don't use any climate control in the house itself. But it does keep temperatures manageable.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Consider buying a 128 quart ice chest (igloo or coleman) to experiment with.

Put the ice chest in the room, put your food in it. Having the food sealed in something like an ice chest will help stabilize the temps.

A lot of people think about buying MREs as survival food preps, MREs are VERY temperature sensitive. 1 day over 100 degrees takes about 1 month off the life span. Do not store MREs in a hot location, they will spoil in a matter of months.

·
Aquaholic
4,906 Posts
put the temp sensitive stuff in the climate controlled living spaces. put other things in the attic.

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok to answer you all

yes - a big ol' house it is

we rent the upstairs and have the attic - the other renter gets the ground floor and the basement - even split

The attic is the entire floorplan , spacewise, and EMPTY. The living space is broken up into rooms and having 3 kids...we have a lot of toys and furniture around :)

The attic would be ideal spacewise but the temps would fluctuate so much so that I do have grave concerns for food storage - never gets so cold it freezes up there but def gets so hot the air is thick in the summertime.

We have a walk in pantry off the kitchen that I cleaned out and installed shelving and will use that for food.

Water storage takes up space ( esp for 5 people )

Was hoping to put water upstairs - how would the temps bother the water up there is we sealed it in 2 litre soda bottles as well as 5 gallon rigid plastic containers - rotating out every few months?

·
High-Strung
840 Posts
On the subject of attic storage: Is it safe to store coleman propane cylindars- like you use for a coleman two-burner stove-in a hot attic?

·
"The truth is out there."
400 Posts
...to keep out any animals...although we have no bug/mouse probs
You don't have any pest problems, yet. If you store food up there you are giving them a reason to start giving you a problem. I would just make sure your "totes" are thick enough that mice\rats cant chew through them and sealed enough so smaller critters\insects can't get in.

How well do you know your downstairs neighbors? Maybe you could exchange some space? They can store regular crap in the attic and you can store some things in the basement. Not the best option, but an option nonetheless?

·
Texan
1,756 Posts
I think you should try to get the people downstairs to develop a survival-mindset and y'all can work together and you can store temperature sensitive stuff in basement but if t doesn't work out I'd suggest building enough solar panels to power the A/C unit it actually isn't that difficult and it will save you alot of money you should probably get two AC units if it is that big and inwould keep your stuff stored in ammo boxes or mil surplus footlockers if your attic is that big and your floor is stae I recommend purchasing heavy duty shelving to maximize space

·
Registered
773 Posts
Look into a ventilation or exhaust fan to move the air and heat out of the attic. You would want to vent the hot air down wind (north during summer) and would create a draft through the attic. You might also invest in a low cost wireless thermometer so you can monitor the temperatures of the attic year round.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts