Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I traded my M&P compact in today for a glock 23 at almost even up, then purchased the 28 round mag on top of it, so what do you think was it a good idea or not?

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Glock, by far its the perfect (or as close as you're gonna find) combat handgun.

Many a man has been found dead, weapon drawn and safety still on.....

·
ozarks hillbilly
749 Posts
that is a question you must ask yourself. if you feel good about the deal then it was good, if not then it was bad. Personally Id rather have a hipoint than a gloc so of course id rather have the m&p but thats just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wanted the glock to begin with and was drawn in by the rebates, so I guess that would mean Im happy because I got what I was originally going after

·
Registered
345 Posts
You ended up with a Glock 23, so ya did good!!

However, if that long mag is a Shearer (I think I spelled that correctly) brand, you need to understand that it may not feed well. I have never had one, but have rarely heard good things about them. I asked a dealer I visit frequently if he could get some, and he said that he had to sell his first batch at least three times because they keep getting returned for FTF and he would never order any more.

Just my .02, YMMV, but congrats on the G23!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

However, if that long mag is a Shearer (I think I spelled that correctly) brand, you need to understand that it may not feed well. I have never had one, but have rarely heard good things about them. I asked a dealer I visit frequently if he could get some, and he said that he had to sell his first batch at least three times because they keep getting returned for FTF and he would never order any more.

Thats exactly what kind it is, im gonna see how this one does before i order more. its a sham glock only makes the 32 rounder for the 9mm

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts

order the spring for the Glock mag, toss it in, problem solved, Shearer used crappy springs.

Reactions: coinshooter

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glock safty

GLOCK SAFTY....RH OR LH

Lone Wolf Distributors introduces SIDERLOCK®, the new security trigger for use with all Glock pistols. This unique cross bolt security trigger replaces the original Glock trigger providing an infallible stop to any rearward trigger movement. SIDERLOCK® works under a simple concept: Quick, positive deployment of a cross bolt safety pin that allows simple and fast displacement in either direction. Pushing the safety on restricts rearward trigger movement. Push the safety off the trigger works as intended. Easily installed or removed, works for left or right hand use. Provides additional assurance avoiding any accidental discharge. Lifetime guarantee on materials and workmanship.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
937 Posts
that is a question you must ask yourself. if you feel good about the deal then it was good, if not then it was bad. Personally Id rather have a hipoint than a gloc so of course id rather have the m&p but thats just my .02 cents.
Um I have a Hi Point 9mm and a Glock if you would like to trade a Glock for my Hi Point I game lol

The GLOCK to me is the AK of handguns. I think you did good and I to have looked at the M&P's and really like the price I see just not sure of the grip thing over time and how well this will hold up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have owned and shot both several times, 9mm, 40 and 45 in both. They are IMHO equal in quality, again that is IMHO, I prefer the M&P due to the differnet back straps and the ergonomics of the grip,( to me the Glock grip is more square, even on the 4th generation).

But the ability to find an abundance of magazines/ accessories for the Glock is an advantage.

In the end it is about what feels good in your hand, and works for you

·
Registered
268 Posts
Glock, M&P - both are at the top of the food chain for reliable polymer handguns imho. If you're happy with the Glock you did good and the other guy did good getting the M&P. No losers here.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,315 Posts
I love Glocks and S&W revolvers, that said, I think it was a good move. I carried a Gen2 23 for years and loved the gun, never had an issue but decided to trade in for the Gen4 G23 and love it too...

BUT

I bought my wife a Gen4 G19 and am having serious problems and have read a lot of peeps are having the same issues with them as well. The slide will not fully close after each round (got worse). Spoke to Glock and they sent me a new spring, thinking somehow had the old one or something but the new spring wasnt the issue. Last night I cleaned the gun real well and tried again. The slide still has what felt like a hump in it yu had to pull through. I started pulling it over and over to see if got better or worse and it got worse and now the slide cannot even go back on. Im convinced the ejector is bent but now either have to send to Glock or to a cert glock armorer and have them install, should that not fix it has to go back to glock. I believe its the G19 that is having the most issues and again, mine is firing perfect. The Gen4 may not be the way to go and if you start to have the casing hit you in the face, consider that your first sign of trouble.

[Edit] By the pic believe yours is a Gen3, so should be an outstanding pistol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I personally own many glocks and have a real appreciation for them. Glock now makes an extended magazine for 40 cal. I believe currently the best price is $32at Bo Tach Tactical. You did good! Hopefully the person that would take a hi point over a glock has access to a mental health facility.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have a gen 4 17 and it doesn't seem to have the problem. I bought it when they first came out with the original recoil spring. I didn't have problems with it but there was a recall on the spring so I called and they sent new one for free. I don't notice much difference. I've had custom work done to mine as well, duracoated slide and had All the internals and slide rails polished.

When you load the gun do you ride the slide or pull back and release quickly? Is it lubed good?

I love Glocks and S&W revolvers, that said, I think it was a good move. I carried a Gen2 23 for years and loved the gun, never had an issue but decided to trade in for the Gen4 G23 and love it too...

BUT

I bought my wife a Gen4 G19 and am having serious problems and have read a lot of peeps are having the same issues with them as well. The slide will not fully close after each round (got worse). Spoke to Glock and they sent me a new spring, thinking somehow had the old one or something but the new spring wasnt the issue. Last night I cleaned the gun real well and tried again. The slide still has what felt like a hump in it yu had to pull through. I started pulling it over and over to see if got better or worse and it got worse and now the slide cannot even go back on. Im convinced the ejector is bent but now either have to send to Glock or to a cert glock armorer and have them install, should that not fix it has to go back to glock. I believe its the G19 that is having the most issues and again, mine is firing perfect. The Gen4 may not be the way to go and if you start to have the casing hit you in the face, consider that your first sign of trouble.

[Edit] By the pic believe yours is a Gen3, so should be an outstanding pistol.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,315 Posts
I have a gen 4 17 and it doesn't seem to have the problem. I bought it when they first came out with the original recoil spring. I didn't have problems with it but there was a recall on the spring so I called and they sent new one for free. I don't notice much difference. I've had custom work done to mine as well, duracoated slide and had All the internals and slide rails polished.

When you load the gun do you ride the slide or pull back and release quickly? Is it lubed good?
After talking to a guy that has done a lot of work on my other glocks at the Dulles expo center gun show (The Glock Doc). I believe the trigger bar is bent but he's going to check everything out and says it wont be a big deal, money wise anyway and he said it may be the trigger bar but says its obvious the tolerances are off and he will have it straight. This guy is really good so I feel much better than sending back to glock.

I asked him if he knew of anything I could do to ensure the gun will be as stable as possible and he stated they are great guns right out of the box so other than adding the things you might like, its really just checking the tolerances and should be a done deal.

Biggest issue is now I have to buy my wife a revolver because she doesnt trust the gun and if for some reason the gun isnt fixed (Im convinced it will be) she doesnt want to be defenseless. But, I will have an S&W .357 added to our collection so there is a bright side lol.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I personally wouldn't trade my M&P for a Glock. I don't like the unsupported Glock chamber, it's been the cause of a large number of kaboom's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts