Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Atlas Shrugged, the movie is finally out. The story should make a great movie, and the trailer looks good. While Ayn Rand's writing was excessively verbose (1,168 pages), here's to hoping that the movie succinctly captures the essence of her best-known writing and that it's message is not missed.

http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/atlas-shrugged-movie-trailer

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
I hope the movie is better than the book. Rand should've gone to work as a writer for Agnes Nixon. But then again she may have been simply applying Cialdini and Cialdini- If one invests ones self in something distasteful for little or no compensation that activity has to right.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've always been opposed to seeing this book made into a two (or so) hour movie. I've always believed it should be a 10 hour television mini-series to really do it justice.

I'll watch the movie in any case but I'll bet it suffers from too much cutting in order to condense it to ordinary movie length.

(By the way, I read the book when it was first published. I've read it several times over the past few decades.)

·
Protector
87 Posts
I've read Atlas Shrugged multiple times since I picked it up a few years back. Oddly enough, it was the video game Bioshock that lead me to read it. Now, with this movie coming out, I certainly hope interest in the book and all of Ayn Rand's writings rises. I just hope this movie can do justice, as I've read good parts about it and not so good parts as it was being produced via the Atlasphere site. Here's to hoping it's a great hit!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Atlas Shrugged the Movie

Hello all,

As some of you may know, the movie version of the epic novel is coming to theaters across the nation this Friday. If you want to know if you have a showing by you, or if you are planning to go post here, and we can get a discussion going.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been waiting for this movie for a long time, only I hope they don't cut out too much of the details like they did with Fountainhead.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, this is going to be a three part movie, just like the book was three parts. I too am worried about details missing and from the clips I've seen a lot of it has been modernized, and or the details changed. Personally I will think we will be very pleased with the consistency of the true message of AS because of the way it was produced, completely separate from "hollywood".

·
Gas! Gas! Gas!
789 Posts
I also think it will be pretty good. I kinda like the modernization thing. As I read Atlas Shrugged, I was often overwhelmed by the feeling that it is so applicable currently... kind of creepy. I just hope it's not like a year between parts.

This movie will be ripped apart by the mainstream. There are a lot of Rand haters out there.

·
Mom Walton
1,390 Posts
I traveled two hours in each direction to see it last night. I enjoyed it. It was close to a sell out in that location, which is understandable since it is only opening in about 300 theaters across the country this weekend.

There were a lot of out spoken cheers and comments by Ayn Rand fans. It was close to a pep rally at times. LOL.

I have read the book, so I understood everything that was going on. I knew the Characters. I am not sure that anyone who had not read the book would "really" "get it."

My husband had not read the book, but I was giving him a daily review as I read it. So he doesn't count as a "non reader."

It seemed like it all went too fast. So much was left out leading up to the end of the time frame in the movie. I guess it is always like that.

I am real interested in hearing the point a view of someone who has NOT read the book.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts