Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Farm Security for Hire
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work for the government on the civilian side, and I am a Nasty Girl (National Guardsman)

When it comes to my survival group, the first thing I set in stone before I even went about forming it was that it was NOT going to be a militia. That's actually the only solid rule we have, to be quite honest. My group is in it's infancy and we haven't really set any rules, regulations or bylaws at this point. It's mostly a group of friends that talks about camping, stocking, trucks, guns, and ammo over beer and brats once a month (or less). It's a work in progress.

For obvious reasons, the civilians in the group would like to get up to speed on the tactical stuff that the military and police guys (who comprise half the group) are into. The question is: where is the line between training as a group for self-defense, and becoming a militia?

It's an important question; my security clearance, status in the military, and livelihood rest on the answer. My gut tells me that it is the right thing to do - training law-abiding armed citizens to protect themselves and others, to neutralize the threat. But the law and what is right are often two different things.

Obviously I'm going to do my own research and soul-searching and make my decision based on that alone, but I thought the question would make a thought-provoking thread.

Have a good one,

CV

/edit

To be clear, this isn't about me wondering whether or not I should start a militia. It's about how to keep from becoming a militia.

·
Bread Baker
3,255 Posts
IMO, it seems that now the term "militia" is a bad thing. Its what you make of it versus what the people make of it versus what the .gov makes of it. For the sake of enlargement, and you seem concerned that your job could be at stake, find another term. Something like "disaster team" or whatever else might be trendy.

I honestly don't see the problem with you giving helpful defense advice to a group of friends. As long as it stays within your circle.. i.e., just don't talk about it.

·
Farm Security for Hire
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMO, it seems that now the term "militia" is a bad thing. Its what you make of it versus what the people make of it versus what the .gov makes of it. For the sake of enlargement, and you seem concerned that your job could be at stake, find another term. Something like "disaster team" or whatever else might be trendy.

I honestly don't see the problem with you giving helpful defense advice to a group of friends. As long as it stays within your circle.. i.e., just don't talk about it.
I don't think militias are a bad thing, but when you're already in one (the National Guard) they prefer that you do all your militia-ing for them exclusively.

We prefer the term "Outdoor Club". I know we're not a militia, I'm just trying to prevent being labeled one by somebody else.

·
Who is John Galt?
189 Posts
I agree with Chad, or you could hold "firearms safety" classes that covers proper shooting techniques, clearing your house (or other structures) if you suspect a break-in to group tactics in taking down the crazy (mall, postal, school) shooter. Then your just cultivating good citizenship not being malicious. and name yourselves the Combat Vet gun club or something of that nature.

·
Banned
214 Posts
I'd gladly be part a militia named "JUST BEHAVE!" Every day there's a new riot/racial attack. JUST BEHAVE PLEASE! Why can't these animals just act normal?

·
Registered
389 Posts
You are not even close to that level.

To me militia has been completely turned around from its initial meaning and is now a has a modern usage basically means group that is actively planning to overthrow through force by any means necessary. They are not the guys who go out and want to improve themselves and their skill sets which is what you are doing instead they are the guys who want cause choas for their limited belief structure.

Truthfully there is no way your job will find out what you do on our weekends as long as it is not illegal, you are not on the ATF radar, you get arrested, or you are an idiot and say hey I think I might be a militia.

Hell if your job asks just tell them you are preparing for shooting competitions. Most competitions now incorporate a lot of tactical skill for threat analysis and fast accurate shooting times.

·
Bread Baker
3,255 Posts
I don't think militias are a bad thing, but when you're already in one (the National Guard) they prefer that you do all your militia-ing for them exclusively.

We prefer the term "Outdoor Club". I know we're not a militia, I'm just trying to prevent being labeled one by somebody else.
Exactly, your outdoors people. Nothing more, nothing less. :D:

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
I read on the internet that Militia's have secret handshakes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Basically, my family, friends and I will become a defensive Militia when order breaks down and law enforcement is non existent. We will only defend ourselves and our property and will not be a wild bunch of hoodlums. I don't see that particular scenario anytime soon, thankfully.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
If you act like a Militia, look like a Militia, talk like a Militia...People will call you a Militia... or a duck.

A rose by any other name, is still a rose.

·
Registered
494 Posts
IMO you become a Militia when you start to take over LEO responsibilities.

When you start doing patrols of the area around you on a scheduled basis then you have crossed the line.

EVEN N.A.S.A. has a video on their website telling their people to prepare. What you have done is form a Hobby group. No different than a softball team. They get together and practice and strategize. You are doing the same thing.

If you are going to practice your tactics then do it for and with Paintball competitions. That is a way to practice against other groups and work on your strategy and get some practical training without crossing the line you are worried about.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You are going to get the best answer by contacting your local FBI agent. It's very easy, they're in the phonebook. I would contact two different ones, just in case they give you different answers though. Tell them the same thing you just wrote down here.

There's a story one of my old 1st Sergeants told me a while back. During Ruby Ridge, the ATF/FBI were getting a lot of protestors hanging around, so they decided to call the Nat'l Guard. Magically, almost everyone dispersed before they even got there. Turns out they just had to go home and get their uniforms on :)

Oh, and don't worry about giving your name. They may ask for it, but just say you prefer to keep it to yourself. No problem.

·
Registered
282 Posts
To Quote George Mason

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

This quote defines what a militia is except that there needs to be a purpose for the militia's existence. If a group of armed people makes itself available to the body of the People for mutual protection then I would say that the militia in this case would be legitimate. If the group of armed citizens makes itself available in opposition to the existing government or puts itself in opposition to the body of the People then it is not a legitimate militia.

So, that neighborhood watch group (with or without firearms) is a legitimate militia as its main mission is to maintain the safety and security of the People within that neighborhood. The group of thugs that are protection their meth lab, crack houses and distribution system (with or without firearms) are not protecting the People and are in opposition to the government are an illegitimate militia.

You should avoid becoming an “illegitimate” militia.

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
Obviously I'm going to do my own research and soul-searching and make my decision based on that alone
Do what you in your heart believes is right. Stay true to YOURSELF and your beliefs.

Never compromise YOUR principles for some faceless, heartless entity run by man.

Damn the law, unless you had a hand in crafting it. If you did have a hand in crafting the law, AND you compromised your principles, well then, you can damn yourself.

Never compromise YOUR principles for some faceless, heartless entity run by man.

Not for some law or some .goobermint. They do not give a flip about you. They will toss you under the bus in a heartbeat.

And when the gub'mint falls, (as has every one at one point or another),
you will still be kicking.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts