Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At home with kidney stone, suggest some things that I can do besides take painkillers and sleep.

·
angel waiting
4,071 Posts
Yep craberry juice does help in preventing kidney stones. Besides that I can't think of anything you could do to help besides take painkillers and rest. LOL... sometimes the body has a way of telling you..... rest body rest, these are usually the time when the body heals and regenerates itself. Grab a movie, grab a book or grab your honey(snuggling) and...... rest body rest.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I feel for you I past some back in 1989. Was doing a 3 mile run on the tread mill at work had the extreme urge to pee. jumped off hit the head and when I went blood went every where.Doctor checked me said I was lucky to have passed them that way. Scared the heck out of me. Drank nothing but cranberry juice for months after that. Dank a glass at bed time every night at bed time up until about 2 years ago. Have never had another stone.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My doctor prescribed Avodart for my 7mm stone. It dialates your "tubes" so the stone can pass easier. I passed it with no pain. Good luck.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
A good medical reason to drink beer....

Many years ago I woke at 1:30 a.m with an ache in my right side I could not ignore. It grew in intensity. By 3 a.m. I hobbled into the local emergency room, threw (yes threw) my driver license at the intake nurse and ordered her to admit me or shoot me -- I didn't care which one -- but do something to put me out of my misery.

Two shots of morphine later the walls were melting, the floor was water and the pain was managable... all caused by something about 1/4 the size of a mustard seed. There is no history of kidney stones in either side of the family. The doctor told me I was living in a warm climate and not drinking enough liquids. He also suggest more acidic drinks.

I have had several mothers who have also had kidney stones tell me that having a kidney stone was a hundred times worse than giving birth. Imagine the agnony people went through when 1) there were no pain killers and 2) they thought illness was the direct wrath of god.

On the other hand, having a kidney stone now is prepping: Getting it out of the way while services are available. A post SHTF kidney stone would be living hell.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
My husband has passed several kidney stones in the 80's and early 90's. They were unbelievably painful. He ended up in the hospital everytime.

Then one doctor told him to drink several glasses of water everyday. This would keep his kidneys flushed. And to walk every day to keep the kidney stones on the move through his system before they get too big.

Since he started this program he has not had any kidney stones.

God bless and keep on prepping.

·
Zomby Woof
14,263 Posts
At home with kidney stone, suggest some things that I can do besides take painkillers and sleep.
I am very far...VERY VERY FAR, from being a tough guy.
However I have discovered that working through pain is better than laying on it.

Now, let me say this. I don't always do this, and the benefits of "working through" are not realized until the pain is gone.

I also have never had a kidney stone so I have no idea what it feels like, nor do I know the medical implications of this, but I wonder if going out in the heat, drinking water and doing some moderate to hard work would help? Again I stress that this might not be the thing to do with a kidney stone.

BTW, I discovered this method by accident during a massive hangover.:eek::
I split logs with a maul for about an hour, drank about a gallon of water along with C/B6/B12, and amazingly, after an hour I felt great.

·
the beast from the east
64 Posts
i have had several stones,best thing to do is drink lots of water and walk around to get them to pass.very painful,i ended up in the hospital each time.good luck

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,914 Posts
Go to doc asap..my buddy had one, blocked, had to have surgery to remove....i watched a fellow writhe in pain one time, just laid on the floor screaming like a girl until he passed it....

talk about mini shtf moment....

be well....

·
Registered
161 Posts
A friend we boat with was standing about waist deep at a sand bar and drank a case of beer. It will dull the pain and make you pee like clock work. I saw the look on his face and grabbed a bottle of water just to make sure I had enough.

Good luck

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
I had severe pain in my side, 12:30 last monday morning. I decided to drive myself 30 minutes to the closest E.R.

I get to the E.R. and no one is at the desk, I look around, one person in the waiting room says, "they only have (1) doc tonight!"

I left and figured I'd call 911 if it got any worse. Pain left completely within (2) days.

My R.N. Sister said this could be many things, but this record heat has been responsible for many kidney stones, people are chronically operating in a dehydrated condition, this can lead to kidney stones. You are in good company. Prayers sent for a quick recovery.

EVERYONE DRINK LOTS OF FLUIDS

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
So sorry to hear this, I have had this and understand the pain.

Sometimes a heating pad along with the other remedies (hydration) helps.

I hope you get better very soon. :)

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I am very far...VERY VERY FAR, from being a tough guy. However I have discovered that working through pain is better than laying on it....I also have never had a kidney stone so I have no idea what it feels like,
There is no working through the pain of a kideny stone. It is a thousand time worse than a kick in a groin and it does not go away until 1) it is passed and or 2) you take powerful drugs to block the pain.

·
Prov 3:18
2,235 Posts
Like the others said,drink LOTS of water and if at anytime you cannot urinate go to the ER.
For me toradol was great as pain relief,other Nsaids may help especially in conjunction with a narcotic.

Also prevention can be aided by avoiding dairy and tea,as well as drinking water everyday.

·
Don't tread on me.
980 Posts
Cranberry juice helps bladder/urinary infections, but can lead to stones, because its BASIC.
Lemon juice is acidic and will help prevent them.

But for now, its just gonna suck. I know, I passed a 5.2 mm one a couple years ago after a month of pain, looked like a little piece of gravel. They said I couldn't pass it.

I also agree with the beer comment. Cant hurt. But be careful if you are on opiates.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
i was told cranberry juice/ lemon juice helps prevent stones

NOOOOOOOO. Whoever told you that was very misinformed. Cranberry juice is extremely hard for your kidneys to process. I don't know HOW it ever acquired a rep for being a good thing. It's not.

This is NOT my personal opinion. I have had kidney stones in the past and was told by two doctors (one was a urologist) to AVOID drinking cranberry juice, as it isn't good for your kidneys.

Instead, it's much better to drink a lot of water (at least 6-8 glasses) every day. Rehydrate constantly with water to keep your urine very diluted.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts