Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on two other survivalist forums. If they are right, we may see the streak in the sky here in the US tonight:

From http://www.spaceweather.com

INCOMING ASTEROID: A small, newly-discovered asteroid named 2008 TC3 is approaching Earth and chances are good that it will hit. Steve Chesley of JPL estimates that atmospheric entry will occur on Oct 7th at 0246 UTC over northern Sudan [ref]. Measuring only a few meters across, the space rock poses NO THREAT to people or structures on the ground, but it should create a spectacular fireball, releasing about a kiloton of TNT in energy as it disintegrates and explodes in the atmosphere. Odds are between 99.8 and 100 percent that the object will encounter Earth, according to calculations provided by Andrea Milani of the University of Pisa. [ephemeris] [3D orbit]

I put the time in The World Clock – Time Zone Converter , and the result is Monday, October 6, 2008 at 10:45:00 PM Eastern time zone.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Lets just hope it doesn't nail little ooga boogas village.Congress might try to give them a multi million dollar earmark to help them.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
oh it will definitely be a threat. depending on if its an iron or stony meteorite, it could concieavable leave a very large crater- something a bit more massive than a 2000lb BLU-109 general purpose warhead.

For instance- the crater in winslow Arizona is thought to have been caused by a stony body about the size of a small house. it vaporized just above the landscape, and the resulting molten matter traveling at something like 800 meters per second did this. (god I love the history channel)

when exactly is it supposed to hit?

·
22,122 Posts
yep

" If predictions were correct, asteroid 2008 TC3 has hit our planet, exploding in the atmosphere over northern Sudan like a kiloton of TNT and creating a fireball as bright as a full Moon, Most of the asteroid should have been vaporized in the atmosphere with only small pieces reaching the ground as meteorites. Stay tuned for reports and photos."

Theres also earthquake reports from the same area.

nothing from news service. Probably wont be either.

·
Perfect for home defense!
11 Posts
Thats some scary stuff. Sometimes it seems like the end of the world as we know it is at hand, and the only real question is "wich one of the massively looming problems will take us out first?" Probably a combination of a few of them I guess. ::sigh::

·
22,122 Posts
actually- rocks of that size are fairly frequent, most of them hit at a shallow angle or come apart very quickly. The force to me suggests that it may have been an iron, or compound meteor- with stony and iron elements to it. theres no real way to tell until they get a team there to study it- which wont happen for a while cause it seems to have triggered a earthquae that did significant damage. this was from a friend of mine- ill try to find info on the quake

1 - 10 of 10 Posts