Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I decided to build an ak for my girl knowing she has no real intrest in firearms. After seeing her shoot it or try to shoot it I thought maybe something smaller would be better. She fired around 5 rounds and handed me the rifle back. That was it. I noticed she got bullied by the weapon pretty good (she is only 120 lbs.) and the look on her face said it all. It's too heavy, to loud , it scares me, and the kicker ,I'm not into guns. I have a friend that hunts raccons here and uses a ruger .22 for it. I borrowed it and tried again, I loaded it with standard vel 22 shorts and noticed she had no problem with it and the dog didd'nt try headdin for the hills either she now owns a 10/22. Victory! It it was light, quiet, and maybe 1/10th as menacing as an ak and the "little bullets look cute". I know she is not much of a shot but at least she can watch my back now.

Mikey

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
What about an AR. When I shot my AK I could feel the recoil in my neck and shoulders (back problems) and thought I could handle just not sure how long of periods of time. I have not shot my AR yet to see how the recoil differs but I see woman on youtube shooting AKs for the first time then the AR and they seem to like the AR better.

Atleast she is now shooting and the 10/22 good rifle.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
My wife likes the AR over the AK. There is little recoil to it. but she would rather just go off to the pistol range with her .38 while the boys "play" with the big guns

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She has trouble loading the mags. She has shot my ar15 a couple times just can't load it same with the russian guns. The 22 on the other hand she can load with out breaking a nail or busting a knuckle.

Mikey

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way did you see the rubber gip I made for the AKM? It's just a section of 1" tire tube from a 10 speed I heated it up with a hair drier and slid it over the grip. Has a very sticky feel. It is on the pic of the AKM.

mikey

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
m gonna teach my girl on the Saiga in 556.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
SKS, semi-auto AK variant, .30 cal M1 Carbine, semi-auto AR variant, Mini-14 or Mini-30 or any semi-auto in a pistol caliber (9mm, 40S&W or .45acp)

Personally I'm a fan of the M1 Carbine, but I understand there are other choices. The Kel-Tec SU-16 (AR15 mags), or Sub-2000 (9mm or 40S&W) should be looked at. The Sub-2000 comes in a number of variants to accept different pistol's hi-cap magazines (Glock, Beretta, S&W)

Allan

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Bushmaster Carbon 15.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
My wife loves her M1 .30 carbine. She is getting more comfortable with the under folder stock now and has developed the feel for it that regular carbines don't require. Pretty sure that hip shooting and pistol shot aiming have crossed he mind but never seen her try it yet.

Now to slow her down on the ammo consumption.....

Theres issues on both ends.

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
What about an AR. When I shot my AK I could feel the recoil in my neck and shoulders (back problems) and thought I could handle just not sure how long of periods of time. I have not shot my AR yet to see how the recoil differs but I see woman on youtube shooting AKs for the first time then the AR and they seem to like the AR better.

Atleast she is now shooting and the 10/22 good rifle.
That's why I switched my wifes rifle from an AK to the AR, it's a lot easier for her to shoot and she's become more proficient with it.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
390 Posts
I have to say my wife stands at 5'1 and is only 95 pounds, SHE LOVES the Ar-15 hates my CX4 storm,

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Last year I decided to build an ak for my girl knowing she has no real intrest in firearms. After seeing her shoot it or try to shoot it I thought maybe something smaller would be better. She fired around 5 rounds and handed me the rifle back. That was it. I noticed she got bullied by the weapon pretty good (she is only 120 lbs.) and the look on her face said it all. It's too heavy, to loud , it scares me, and the kicker ,I'm not into guns. I have a friend that hunts raccons here and uses a ruger .22 for it. I borrowed it and tried again, I loaded it with standard vel 22 shorts and noticed she had no problem with it and the dog didd'nt try headdin for the hills either she now owns a 10/22. Victory! It it was light, quiet, and maybe 1/10th as menacing as an ak and the "little bullets look cute". I know she is not much of a shot but at least she can watch my back now.

Mikey

We're going to need some better close ups of her to be sure.. And lose the jacket.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts