Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These newer Tactical shotguns sport a hand-gunish grip. What is your experience shooting those? Does it provide more accuracy/comfort? I'm speaking to this:

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The retractable stock is great for smaller spaces, the pistol grip has better handling and helps when your reloading
Too bad WE can't git or affix that retractable stock. :taped: I would love to be able to carry that in my pack.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I prefer a fixed stock with or without a pistol grip simular to the ones on the Benneli shotguns. Shooting a 12 gauge with just the pistol grip only can be quiet a handful and the recoil can sometimes get your undivided attention, but with the stock tucked under your arm its usually pretty managable and compact enough in my opinion. I dont care for the retractable stock that folds as I havent found any that feel overly solid to me and the recoil on a 12 gauge can be pretty stout and a flimsey retractable stock will make this more pronounced. It does however make for a compact package.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Get the traditional stock. I know...it's hard to believe but its true...you can get sight picture faster with the traditional stock. Plus...it's more durable...just in case you have to hit something with the stock. Whatever you do...don't get the pistol grip-only version. You cannot aim with those things. And remember, in HD situations, it is a myth that you just need to "point and shoot". You have to aim because at under 20 feet, shot pellets act like a single bullet. It has not time to spread out. If you try aiming with a pistol grip-only shotgun, the recoil may break a couple of teeth. You need a stock on a shotgun. Traditional stocks works best...and they look less menacing than the stock with pistol-grip combination. (That could make a difference in court.)

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
I have heard stocks like the one in the picture and the current Remington pistol grip stocks have the wrong stock shouldering angle. The old Remington steel top folding stocks are great if you can find one but with the new AWB looming they are going up in price and getting harder to find.

I use the old Remington top folding stock. You better be ready for recoil on these as there is no recoil pad and you do not aim them using the pistol grip. You need to spend time at the range learning to shoot from the hip with a pistol grip. Otherwise as psyprofessor says you will be needing to see your dentist.

There are some companies making aluminum conversions that take a standard AR stock and pistol grip for the shotgun. They are supposed to create a straight stock angle in relation to the gun. I will be looking into converting one of my shotguns to this design this year if I can beat the AWB.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Monte Carlo stock is easier for traditional sling carry, I had to learn on the fly when I was carrying my Maverick during Ike. Kept sliding off my shoulder and fouling on my sidearm in american carry. The pistol grip kept getting in the way of my shoulder in african carry. So mainly I just slipped the sling over my head and let it hang down my chest- where my sidesaddle snagged on my badge lol.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
I agree with the rest that in 99% of all circumstances on should stick with the normal stock. For me I am changing or to a knoxx folding stock knowing that I give up the ability to strike (which is very important!!) and I won't be able to aim slugs with any great precision (again important).

In MY case I need the compact mobility it offers. In a backscaboard, having a full stock would be several inches over my head, thus it'd be a dangerous snag.

But then again its the little details that could get me killed, so this is a case of do as I say not as I do!:thumb::thumb:

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
215 Posts
Unless you have a lot of experience with the pistol grip, the traditional stock is more ergonomic, and easier to use in most situations. A folding stock is good for transport in vehicles, etc,
but is not as easily controlled . The average home defense user will probably be better off with that old wood standby stock. Those who know WHY they need something different and have practiced with their choice may do well with PG stocks.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
A traditional stock is fine. I don't see the big advantage of the pistol grip on the shotgun. Even with the traditional grip, I can shoot from the bazooka carry, or the underarm assault position, if tight quarters are encountered.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look like you cut your hand there, countryboy. Well, I'm definitely going with stock then. 4 guns is about what I'm shooting for, but 3 may be enough. Shotgun, pistol, AK. Maybe just 2 guns, pistol and rifle. I'm not big on guns because of the scarcity or non-transportable (heavy) ammo in a shtf/eotw situation. Guns are so expensive, unless you get a ****ty gun and what good is that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts