Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your trigger will break-in. I have an SGL-31, and the trigger is getting better every time I shoot it. They are great rifles, by the way!

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
Thats the same co. Arsenal is Saiga booth the names are on the owners manual.
No. Arsenal converts Saiga rifles to their original form (pistol grip, ect.). Saigas are made by Izhmash in Russia imported by Russian American Armory and Arsenal then buys them from RAA and makes their modifications.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
that's like, your opinion
17,826 Posts
i have an arsenal SLR-107F (7.62 x 39 side folder)... i dropped a tapco G2 single hook trigger set in it and put a krebs saftey lever on there, also switched out the normal flashider with a more half-moon style muzzlebrake.

its a great shooter, about 2-3 moa, lighter recoil now, and the tapco g2 trigger is very light. the downside to the G2 trigger is that it is somewhat difficult to gauge when it will release.

but the gun itself is great... its a stamped reciever, solidly constructed piston (way better than a comprable CAI), tough finish, spring loaded firing pin (reduce potential slam fires, though that has never been an issue for me in the past).

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have an Arsenal SGL21. Its a great gun. The only mods I've made to it is switching out the buttstock and pistol grip for some good ones by Mako

·
devils advocate
703 Posts
Arsenal cant get any better, the trigger is ruff because it's a very simple design and will never fail. And as stated before, it gets better the more times you use it.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I imagine it's pretty darn similar to the $450 converted Saiga I bought from Classic Arms.

Good rifles... Fit and finish wont compare to an AR, but it was never meant to compare.

Only complaint with the rifle is... Well, nothing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
No. Arsenal converts Saiga rifles to their original form (pistol grip, ect.). Saigas are made by Izhmash in Russia imported by Russian American Armory and Arsenal then buys them from RAA and makes their modifications.
Arsenal does not buy them from RAA for conversion. The ones that Arsenal converts are imported by Arsenal themselves. It is a special model that nobody else can get.

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
Arsenal does not buy them from RAA for conversion. The ones that Arsenal converts are imported by Arsenal themselves. It is a special model that nobody else can get.
I have been told that Arsenal lost their import licence due to 922R compliance violations. I guess not.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I myself dont think you can go wrong with a for reals Russian AK.
You could do worse,yeah you could have got a Romanian wasr but for 300ish dollars more you got a BRAND NEW Russian reciever,BRAND NEW Russian barrel,most of the other parts were Russian,but you do get a few bulgarian made parts but these parts are new and you have the American made 922 parts to make it legal so whats not to like with a BRAND NEW AK-47,*One of the only Brand new AK on the market with the country of origin new recieve and country of origin barrel.
These *COULD very well be banned at some point in the future then you would have something that would be worth more than a chinese made that new in the box I have seen examples hit over 2000 bucks(and sold at that price).
Now venture on over to a vendor and pick you up a russian mag etc...though Im a bit of a mag/accessory whore!

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
I just bought a brand new Arsenal AK-47 model SGL21 wondering any info on them? I heard it is about the best out there, it is stamped made in Russia and then I guess it is topped off in the U.S. I shot 30 rounds as fast as I could pull and it was flawless, the most fun I had with a gun yet. It is one wicked looking thing all black furniture. I thought it would kick more but it is just about the same as a AR-15 with the muzzle brake they got on it. The only thing is the trigger has a reel long draw to it and that creeps me out and makes me flinch, I hope I can get it adjusted or I will just have to get used to it.

Thanks.
You have a US made "Arsenal". Some Franken AK, slammed together in US.

An original Arsenal AK clone is made in Bulgaria and is of high quality. Arsenal rifles feature milled receivers.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have had one for a little while. It looks nice and has been reliable so far, but I have not had much of a chance to check the accuracy yet. After shooting it a few times, I remembered some of the reasons I don't like AKs much.

They sure are getting expensive. It seems like they were $499 a few years ago, but now they are $750-$790.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

An original Arsenal AK clone is made in Bulgaria and is of high quality. Arsenal rifles feature milled receivers.
I disagree.

Haven't kept up on the models, but if it's an Arsenal;

Arsenal moved their operations to Nevada a few years ago. They brought quite a bit of their machinery and engineers with them. So while some parts are technically US made, they are made to the same spec.

Arsenal makes milled and stamped recievers. Last I looked they were also using G2 triggers standard.

I have SA-93 as well as a newer SA-M7. They are almost identical. The only exception is the finish. It's more of a paint then the '93 has. Underneath it's still park'd.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
G2 triggers are not standard at least not on the sgl31 series. I highly recommend replacing the stock trigger with a tapco g2 single hook. Excellent cheap mod.
Hmm, you may be right. I hadn't looked on the website for awhile. All it says now is US made double stage fire control group.

I know that right after they started producing rifles in Nevada that they were using G2's. Mine is clearly marked. Guess I haven't been in the market for a new AK in longer than I thought.

·
Registered
173 Posts

This isnt true. Arsenal imports saiga rifles and returns them to true ak form.(because of the import laws) With Arsenal you have a true Russian factory made Ak. They are the best you can buy short of a custom build, and most custom built AK's start with a saiga rifle.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts