Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ARRL is holding it's national Field Day this weekend. You can find details here http://www.arrl.org/field-day

There is a interactive map that you can plug in your location/city/state and see what clubs are involved.

I will be attending for a few hours with the Mesa Amateur Radio Club at the Oak Flats campground east of Superior AZ.

For those like me who are not licensed yet, it looks like a great way to meet some Elmers what's an Elmer get on the air with supervision and make your first contact.

The Mesa ARC will be giving a few classes including a HF antenna building and tuning class.

Anyone in The Phx area that is interested in getting details PM me. I will be leaving around 0630-0700 hrs and meeting them for breakfast then going to their campsite to start the day around 1030

These are the bands they said they will be using :
Typically we will be on 10 Meters (if open), 20 Meters (PSK31 and Phone for most of the day), 40 Meters when 20 Meters goes sour and then later that night when 40 starts to fade we will switch to 80 Meters.

·
Registered
725 Posts
ARRL is holding it's national Field Day this weekend. You can find details here http://www.arrl.org/field-day

There is a interactive map that you can plug in your location/city/state and see what clubs are involved.

I will be attending for a few hours with the Mesa Amateur Radio Club at the Oak Flats campground east of Superior AZ.

For those like me who are not licensed yet, it looks like a great way to meet some Elmers what's an Elmer get on the air with supervision and make your first contact.

The Mesa ARC will be giving a few classes including a HF antenna building and tuning class.

Anyone in The Phx area that is interested in getting details PM me. I will be leaving around 0630-0700 hrs and meeting them for breakfast then going to their campsite to start the day around 1030

These are the bands they said they will be using :
Typically we will be on 10 Meters (if open), 20 Meters (PSK31 and Phone for most of the day), 40 Meters when 20 Meters goes sour and then later that night when 40 starts to fade we will switch to 80 Meters.
Participating in Field Day is a great way to have fun, meet new friends, and see just how versatile Amateur Radio operators can be in providing emergency communications. Anyone who has an opportunity to participate should take it without hesitating!

Have a great time, Armordude! Maybe we'll connect on the airways this weekend. :thumb:

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger that GP:thumb:

Reactions: Medic73

·
With eyes and mind open.
222 Posts
We are going to be running a 1B-Battery station. A friend and I are going to do some mountain topping camping/operating. We will mainly run cw and digital, but if we get too many dupes we'll pick up the mic. We have both been active in Field days, but this is the first time we are not going to operate as part of a club.

We will be running a Kenwood TS-50 that's been modded to run 5W on low. It will be feeding a homebrew trapped multiband (40-15)dipole or an 80M dipole.

It's going to be powered by a 105 Ah deep cycle battery. We are still doing the math to figure out if we need to bring a small VAWT or solar panels to keep it charged up. That will add a lot of weight and bulk to carry to our operating location.

Regardless of how we do in the competition, we will have fun.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'll be heading up to the field day just past Payson tomorrow as well. Got some friends who I've convinced to take the test and since that club is holding a test session, why not? I'm jealous that they'll get to take their test in the nice forest setting up there instead of the MCSO facility and church settings I took my tech and general in.

I'm just going along for the ride. Looking forward to seeing a field day group in action since I have yet to ever even touch anything in the HF world.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yep, I'll be participating with the club I always do FD with, this year as a 3F operation... For almost a decade, we were very highly ranked in the 3A category but unexpectedly lost a key member of the club that was the "glue" in 2008. Fortunately, we have recovered and have a great relationship with the city that provides a nice place to operate in the city hall (no more tents out in the heat!). Power will be solar charged batteries and generator... Hope our anonymous group works you on CW, SSB, and digital! be safe, 73 es GL all! mo-go

·
Family Always Comes First
698 Posts
Our Field Day 4A Oklahoma Station will be up

I'm setting up our Field Day Station at a nice shady State Park here in Oklahoma.

We'll have 3 HF radios, a Quadband and 2 Dualbands all set up under battery power. The HFs will all have their own G5RV antenna, some oriented north/south and other oriented east/west to best cover all directions. The Quadband and Dualband radios have antennas on top of 20 foot masts.

We'll have at least 3 Hams here and a few"3rd Party Traffic" Operators that really want to learn more about Ham Radio. Field Day is such an excellent time for teaching about Ham and having fun doing it.

Good luck to all of you out there for Field Day. I hope you make lots of US and International contacts today.

73's,
Medic73
4A - Oklahoma

·
planner and prepper
403 Posts
Went with Armordude out to Oakflats here in AZ. Got to play with some HF and learned a lot. I 'gota' with NM and Orange county. It was cool. I think in another circumstance where people aren't trying to "get points" and such it would be cool to talk to others. AD is trying to convince me to invest in it and at least get my Tech license. I may bite and try it. :)

·
Victory Loves Preparation
576 Posts
A few weeks ago, I approached a friend of mine who has these radios, about using them, he invited me too todays local event.

There I met members of the Mecklenburg Amateur Radio Society. I had an awesome time!!!!! I ran a GOTA Station for about 90 minutes and made 15 contacts using a 100 watt base unit. Our call sign was NC4DP 2A NC. Spoke with other stations in VA, PA, TX WVA, OH and others I cant remember. It was a BLAST!

Im planning on taking the 1st exam in Sept and then work up to "technical", if I remember correctly.

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Watchdog and I went out with the the Mesa Am Radio club (after hitting the Mesa Gun show :D: )to an area 1 hr east of Phx at an elevation of 4000 ft called Oak Flats campground. Temps were in the 102 deg f range even at the elev :mad:

We had a great time. did some gota contacts for both of us, but as MD said in another thread, the Field Day contest was making it difficult on the 20M band as folks were walking all over each other trying to make contact.

We were using an "inverted V dipole" running SW<>NE. We got to.

Watch a PSK31 station in operation. Pretty kewl method of texting over long distances.

Did not stay for the dipole antenna build and tuning class they were giving.

All in all, it was a great few hours. Learned at lot from these guys including hint on hiding a dipole antenna from the HOA where I live:thumb:

Reactions: Medic73

·
Family Always Comes First
698 Posts
I just got back home from my Field Day Exercise

Man, was it HOT!!! It hit 101 or 102 actual shade temp today, but the reflected heat showed over 110 degrees on the thermometer under my sade awning with 38% humidity! The heat index was over 110 degrees here in NE Oklahoma.

Anyway, for my Field Day Report, I was having some problems with high SWR. I think my antena tuner is not working correctly because I could onlt get it to aout a 2.5:1 or 3.0:1 SWR which is notthe best. Despite that, I did make a couple of contacts and one was a Mexico City Station!

Later Friday afternoon, another Ham brought out his Yaesu FT-900 and hooked it to my G5RV and his radio has a built in tuner. He was able to get a 1.0:1 SWR and was really surprised. We used his HF rig the ret of our Field Day.

Our day started out kinda slow. We weren't really heavy "into" the contesting, but more interested in teaching some new folks what Ham Radio is all about. We showed the radios and the antennas and let them talk too, but they really wanted to just watch us work for contacts. During theafternoon, we made about 20 HF contacts, mostly on 20 and 40.

After dinner (I grilled Hot Dogs and Burgers for everyone) and after it got dark, the temperatures came down a bit to the mid 90s. While that is still hot, at least the sun wasn't baking everything in site. That's when we really started to work contacts.

I started back on the radio around 2100 local time and worked it until 0330 local time. During that time, I logged 138 contacts. Most of those were all USA stations, but I did make 4 or 5 Canadian contacts too and 2 Maritime (contact at sea) contacts.

My voice gave out at 0330 and I was dead tired. Everyone else had lef around 2200 local time on Friday, so I shut the station down. I had "planne" on getting back up and trying for some more contacts this morning, but the AC in the Pop-up camper just felt too good and I slept until around 0930 my time. After that, I got up and started working on breaking everything down and packing up. I pulled out of the campground lat this afternoon and drove the hour back to my home.

So, now I'm still dirty, sweaty, tired and hot, but I had a great Field Day this year. What did I learn? I need to work my equipment a lot more often and I need to get a better tuner. Still all in all, I had fun and I still learn more about Ham Radio every time I work with it.

Ok, that's my report. I hope your Field Day went well too.

73's,
Medic73

·
Registered
725 Posts
Man, was it HOT!!! It hit 101 or 102 actual shade temp today, but the reflected heat showed over 110 degrees on the thermometer under my sade awning with 38% humidity! The heat index was over 110 degrees here in NE Oklahoma.

Anyway, for my Field Day Report, I was having some problems with high SWR. I think my antena tuner is not working correctly because I could onlt get it to aout a 2.5:1 or 3.0:1 SWR which is notthe best. Despite that, I did make a couple of contacts and one was a Mexico City Station!

Later Friday afternoon, another Ham brought out his Yaesu FT-900 and hooked it to my G5RV and his radio has a built in tuner. He was able to get a 1.0:1 SWR and was really surprised. We used his HF rig the ret of our Field Day.

Our day started out kinda slow. We weren't really heavy "into" the contesting, but more interested in teaching some new folks what Ham Radio is all about. We showed the radios and the antennas and let them talk too, but they really wanted to just watch us work for contacts. During theafternoon, we made about 20 HF contacts, mostly on 20 and 40.

After dinner (I grilled Hot Dogs and Burgers for everyone) and after it got dark, the temperatures came down a bit to the mid 90s. While that is still hot, at least the sun wasn't baking everything in site. That's when we really started to work contacts.

I started back on the radio around 2100 local time and worked it until 0330 local time. During that time, I logged 138 contacts. Most of those were all USA stations, but I did make 4 or 5 Canadian contacts too and 2 Maritime (contact at sea) contacts.

My voice gave out at 0330 and I was dead tired. Everyone else had lef around 2200 local time on Friday, so I shut the station down. I had "planne" on getting back up and trying for some more contacts this morning, but the AC in the Pop-up camper just felt too good and I slept until around 0930 my time. After that, I got up and started working on breaking everything down and packing up. I pulled out of the campground lat this afternoon and drove the hour back to my home.

So, now I'm still dirty, sweaty, tired and hot, but I had a great Field Day this year. What did I learn? I need to work my equipment a lot more often and I need to get a better tuner. Still all in all, I had fun and I still learn more about Ham Radio every time I work with it.

Ok, that's my report. I hope your Field Day went well too.

73's,
Medic73
Great report Medic! :thumb: Sounds like a typical Field Day! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts