Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Listen, who cares how hard it might be, just go and learn this invaluable art and DRIVE ON. If your ever planning on doing this thing called SURVIVAL then this is the school to attend. I hear it's not that tough if you can Man Up. Look, it's all just a state of mind and games, get past the the game part and then you'll be learning something valuable and besides, in this day and age these are the tools your gonna wanna know if TSHTF (cause if the SHTF playin ARMY will seem like childs play). It bothers me when someone asks how hard somethings gonna be going into it, it's almost as if they wanna quit before they start:mad:. Any hoot don't mean to sound like a rag.

DRIVE ON B-OUT

·
Outdoorsman
78 Posts
I graduated from both phases and worked there in the mid 90's.

It was an awesome experience and you will learn alot.

If you can carry a ruck weighing between 55-80lbs in rough terrain for two weeks you should be good to go. They cover basic mountaineering skills, a ton of ropework and a few climbing evolutions. They will also teach you about high alpine survival. Remember the course is really about teamwork and leadership. The academic and hands on tests are challenging but when you add in the physical stress of your daily ruck marches and climbs it wil really let you know where your at mentally.

All I can say is if you've never rappelled at night under NVGs with your full combat load you haven't really lived.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AMWS

I attended both phases of the basic course in 2005. It aint Ranger school, but it isnt a walk in the park either. Most days start with a 1-2 mile ruck to the training sites. Not too bad distance-wise, but there is usually a 800-1000 foot elevation change in the short distance.

Winter phase focuses on basic rope-work and alot of winter survival. About 5 nights are spent out of doors, 3 of them being during the final exercise, to use the skills that were taught in a more realistic environment. Very little tactical training, but a whole butt-load of technical training. Movement techniques are also taught and reinforced, with the daily ruck movements being performed on skis and snow-shoes. There is more time spent in-doors in this phase, totaling about one training day.

Summer phase is almost entirely outside. Lots of time spent balance-climbing on top-rope. The movements are longer here, as the movement is not hindered by snow. Dont be fooled by the title "summer phase" though; it's summer in the mountains. When I was there it was only 50 at the highest (in May), and it rained a cold rain about 3 or 4 days. i heard stories from the cadre about times in the past when it snowed during summer phase.

All that being said, the month that i spent there was one of the most rewarding experiences of my Army career. The carde is second to none when it comes to mountain knowledge and experience. they are tough and very no BS. they want the students to learn and have fun doing it, so the usual level of army over-regulation present at most TRADOC schools is kept to a bare minimum. Make sure to listen and obey their instructions about safety; they will toss you out for willfully violating safety rules.

One last note. the chow there is the best food I have ever had at an military facility. The cooks are long-time National Guardsmen who have been cooking there since Christ was a corporal, so they cook the food like they would want to eat it, not how the Army says they should...

Be safe and have fun!

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
went through recon and airborne on the 70s,

your training tempered by discipline will see you through,
trust it and follow it --- it was given you for this very reason
for the ability to take you through difficult times and bad situations

be thankful those bstrds were as rough on ya as they were --
this is why they made ya tough

go for it and congratulations on the selection
the more skills you have - the better your chances are and the more you are worth

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
training is training and take all you can get as you never know where your next post maybe, Afghanistan maybe? I to went through recon and in my case swamp training LOL with special opts. Give me back my legs and make me young again would do it all over again. We are a special breed who serve, and no one can take that away from us!!!!!!!Dang proud of ya!!!!!

·
Proverbs 22:3
897 Posts
I went to the summer phase a few years ago. Be ready before you go. Start ruck marching NOW with a 40 lb sandbag in your pack. Use woods trails, not just roads or sidewalks. Try to get a recent instruction book from the school and learn all the knots backwards and forwards. Bring all the gear they tell you to bring, you will need it. Bring 2 pair of WELL broken in boots. It is not like most military schools where students show up hungover to class and can B.S. their way through. The instructors there have been there for years and are some of the best in the world. When I was there, you could fail on a knot or system test ONE time, then get some extra instruction and retest. Second fail sends you home that day, Officer or Enlisted. They are very serious because you will be trusting your life to knots you and other students have tied. Zero room for error. You will study your a** off the entire time you are there.
All that being said, with the exception of Paris Island, it was the best school I have ever been to. You will learn more in 2 weeks than in 2 years of regular training. Also, when you are doing the night walk with NVGs along the cliff face, be sure to look at the stars with the NVGs on.... AWESOME.
I would give almost anything to go again.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
My unit is pretty much forcing me to go to this school. It's the hardest school to get accepted into after HALO. It's problably a stab in the dark; but has anyone in here prior Army that has been to this school?

https://www.infantry.army.mil/AMWS/

LW
Try to go in the summer time if possible..Vermont has some nasty winters..Good luck to you and thank u for serving our Country....

·
Registered
151 Posts
It sounds like interesting training and I'd love the chance to go.....any Marines on deck?

What kind of rope work is it......repelling and climbing rock faces? I have to admit I have a healthy fear of heights...though it never kept me from successfully training at OCS with rope crossing or the confidence and tarzan courses....the consequences of not succeeding was always worse than the temptation to look down....lol

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
Any training that will sharpen your skills as a warrior is worth going. I was never given a chance to get up north and do that training, all mine was in warmer climates;) I did have a friend of mine that was an instructor there and what time I spent with him, he taught me ALOT more ropework and mountaineering than I ever learned in Ranger or Recondo schools.
In short, go for it brother:thumb:

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
My unit is pretty much forcing me to go to this school. It's the hardest school to get accepted into after HALO. It's problably a stab in the dark; but has anyone in here prior Army that has been to this school?

https://www.infantry.army.mil/AMWS/

LW
We don't have that. Winter warfare and mountaineering is considered part of the fundamentals for the regular infantryman.
We did a 120 km winter march on ski with our conscripts every winter. Hard, but my impression is that most of them enjoyed it and had a good learning experience that served them well also in their civillian life after the service.

Go for it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.