Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright this is going to be a little long winded so bear with me. My wife and I have a chance to move to just about any state that has an Army base. We currently reside in TX and really do not care for the city the base we could live on is. The base is nice but everything surrounding it is trashy and crime ridden. We are going to initially live on base wherever we move but the goal is 5 to 10 acres and a house in a rural area. We initially looked at Ft Huachuca in AZ but the water problems down there combined with being so close to the border have us very apprehensive for buying property. We are open to most states and for some background on the kind of people we are. Requirements are , conservative and 2a friendly, low crime, rural.
We will be looking at property within an hour of the base. Things we are flexible on is weather and wildlife we have rattlesnakes and gators here already so animals don't scare us off lol.
We don't mind heat, cold is ok too but not North Dakota cold. Some places are instant no go's for us. Like Commiefornia , Colorado, Oregon, or any place antifa or blm has alot of minions and or political power. We are pretty old school especially for our age and we need a good place to raise our kids. So what I am looking for is you Army guys and gals to clue us in on some of the good bases and areas around said good bases to live on. I guess a list of the bad ones would be good to and the reasons why they are good or bad. This is a great opportunity for us and we are excited but unsure of where to go. This forum is one of the few places in the world where I trust outside opinions because alot of us think alike and hold similar views on how our society is falling apart. With that in mind fire away help this military family find a new state to proudly call home :)

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
8,019 Posts
I'm stuck on which of the three Active duty Army bases is Texas has gators.

Fort Sam Houston, or as it is known now Joint Base San Antonio is practically in downtown San Antonio. Go a little north and west you are in the Hill country. Go south and east you are on the coastal plain.

Fort Hood is a good duty station. Stay away from Killeen. Go west towards Copperas Cove or farther. Gatesville to the north is okay but is the home of a State Prison, Women's prison if memory serves. I lived in Harker Heights. It was the only city in Bell that had open saloons so it was overrun with drunk GIs on the weekends. Belton is within commuting distance. There are two big Corps of Engineers lakes, Lake Belton having direct access from the base. Hunting and fishing opportunities abound.

Fort Bliss is El Paso. All I have to say about Bliss/El Paso is HELL NO.

The only other CONUS Army base I was assigned was Ft. Sill. I'm sure a lot has changed in the last 43 years.

·
Storyteller
3,087 Posts
Sad to say, most military bases meet your "but everything surrounding it is trashy and crime ridden "

Young men with money attract a certain demographic, have since Cesar started his army.

That said, if you can stand the lethal cold, very short days of winter and living in a very expensive, liberal city - Ft Richardson is not too bad. Part of Joint Base Elmenforf-Richardson, the main functions are now controlled by the USAF...to me not a good thing.

Still, hunting and fishing, skiing and such is better than average. And there is (for now) a 25% pay bump for COLA....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm stuck on which of the three Active duty Army bases is Texas has gators.

Fort Sam Houston, or as it is known now Joint Base San Antonio is practically in downtown San Antonio. Go a little north and west you are in the Hill country. Go south and east you are on the coastal plain.

Fort Hood is a good duty station. Stay away from Killeen. Go west towards Copperas Cove or farther. Gatesville to the north is okay but is the home of a State Prison, Women's prison if memory serves. I lived in Harker Heights. It was the only city in Bell that had open saloons so it was overrun with drunk GIs on the weekends. Belton is within commuting distance. There are two big Corps of Engineers lakes, Lake Belton having direct access from the base. Hunting and fishing opportunities abound.

Fort Bliss is El Paso. All I have to say about Bliss/El Paso is HELL NO.

The only other CONUS Army base I was assigned was Ft. Sill. I'm sure a lot has changed in the last 43 years.
Yeah we have been to all the Texas bases and its all a no lol. Especially Ft.hood. Killeen is quite possibly one of my least liked places I have ever had the displeasure of being in.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
34,836 Posts
Alright this is going to be a little long winded so bear with me. My wife and I have a chance to move to just about any state that has an Army base. We currently reside in TX and really do not care for the city the base we could live on is. The base is nice but everything surrounding it is trashy and crime ridden. We are going to initially live on base wherever we move but the goal is 5 to 10 acres and a house in a rural area. We initially looked at Ft Huachuca in AZ but the water problems down there combined with being so close to the border have us very apprehensive for buying property. We are open to most states and for some background on the kind of people we are. Requirements are , conservative and 2a friendly, low crime, rural.
We will be looking at property within an hour of the base. Things we are flexible on is weather and wildlife we have rattlesnakes and gators here already so animals don't scare us off lol.
We don't mind heat, cold is ok too but not North Dakota cold. Some places are instant no go's for us. Like Commiefornia , Colorado, Oregon, or any place antifa or blm has alot of minions and or political power. We are pretty old school especially for our age and we need a good place to raise our kids. So what I am looking for is you Army guys and gals to clue us in on some of the good bases and areas around said good bases to live on. I guess a list of the bad ones would be good to and the reasons why they are good or bad. This is a great opportunity for us and we are excited but unsure of where to go. This forum is one of the few places in the world where I trust outside opinions because alot of us think alike and hold similar views on how our society is falling apart. With that in mind fire away help this military family find a new state to proudly call home :)
You might give Utah a look-see. Based on your third sentence ... I'm guessing you're somewhere near Houston. You don't need to answer ... I'm just placing my bet.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,011 Posts
As an Army veteran, military bases are extremely oppressive to be on. Subject to federal laws, including very big restrictions on guns. So I would NEVER again subject myself to living on an installation.

In the surrounding areas, perhaps. But as unlikely as it is, you're in the nuke target area. Having said that I've been to a handful of Army bases and otherwise know of a bunch.

Like you I'd only consider very friendly 2A states that don't have a lot of social unrest or water problems or geological or weather issues. That narrows the field significantly to probably bases in Oklahoma, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, and Kentucky. Of those, my top choice would be Ft. Campbell, on the border of KY and TN. I liked that area a lot, for an Army base. A lot of vets settle there as it's one of the better areas. It's inexpensive, huge open rural areas, lots of outdoors activities, very pro-2A, Nashville is a cool city an hour southeast, and more. It has drawbacks, chiggers, humidity, and some heavy storms from time to time.

You might also look at Ft. Knox, Kentucky. Ft. Benning near Columbus Georgia was decent enough. The heat and humidity is difficult. I'd look at bases in Oklahoma, as a very conservative state. The only major issues there seem to be tornadoes.

I've been to the San Antonio / Houston areas and that was okay. I've got friends in Austin and they say it's turning liberal.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts