Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, I did a post regarding how we'd save the wealth of information that's on these forums. (Besides printing out every single page of the thousands of ebooks :p)

I talked about getting a decent USB stick and putting all the info that's available on the site into the usb stick. (Yes, I know you'll need a computer to get the information out, with a computer comes the need of electricity etc.)

I found this page today, which talks about how you can armor your own USB stick. Great for those who are 'do it yourselfers' on here. :D

http://www.tcnj.edu/~jones37/usb_armor.html

SOLIDUS

·
Shooter
429 Posts
If you have internet explorer you can go to FILE then SAVE AS on a website and save the page as a big file. But still electronic. Guess you could just PRINT every page. LOL. I personally try to copy/paste any relevent info/paragraphs into a large word document that I saved as "survivalist boards stuff". Just a hodge-podge of good info...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Corsair makes an armored model. It's called the Survivor:
http://www.corsair.com/products/survivor.aspx

The problem with many "armored" models like the Cruzer Titanium and Ironkey is that the internals are usually plastic and the manufacturer adds a small coating of some metal so that it looks like solid metal. It resists impact dents and scratches but not crush damage.

The Survivor (I have all 3 of the above) can lose its endcap if run over by a vehicle but the main body has a very high crushpoint, and the o-rings installed in the tube make it waterproof (not resistant, proof).

Use Truecrypt to encrypt the contents and you should be good to go.

If you're willing to drop a little money on it the largest capacity they offer is 32GB. That's giga-byte. More than enough to store text-files, images, audio or video on pretty much everything.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good post Yerba, hence the reason of my original post, adding a cast metal casing to the entire USB pendrive.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well if I had a machine shop I'd just make the case out of Tungsten Carbide and fill the inside with non-conductive shock-absorbing bonding agent. Now you're talkin'!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Corsair makes an armored model. It's called the Survivor:
http://www.corsair.com/products/survivor.aspx

The problem with many "armored" models like the Cruzer Titanium and Ironkey is that the internals are usually plastic and the manufacturer adds a small coating of some metal so that it looks like solid metal. It resists impact dents and scratches but not crush damage.

The Survivor (I have all 3 of the above) can lose its endcap if run over by a vehicle but the main body has a very high crushpoint, and the o-rings installed in the tube make it waterproof (not resistant, proof).

Use Truecrypt to encrypt the contents and you should be good to go.

If you're willing to drop a little money on it the largest capacity they offer is 32GB. That's giga-byte. More than enough to store text-files, images, audio or video on pretty much everything.
The Ironkey is an awesome device. I have washed it and dropped it numerous times and it never gets damaged. The fact that it self destructs internally after 10 failed log in attempts is really cool. I absolutely would recommend it.

I agree with the Truecrypt suggestion. Every PC in my house has it.

·
When the going gets weird
279 Posts
I would put a bootable partition on it too... a linux distro like DamnSmallLinux (only 50 mb) would allow you to access your data with minimal hardware.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I have an IronKey basic and love it. I didn't realize you only had 10 tries and played with it 3 times before checking, so I only have 7 tries left :(

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I have a corsair 4gb survivor which is basically a 200m water resistant aluminum tube with a screw-on o-ring sealed alum cap. I removed the rubber finger grips as they & the aluminum do not bond. The ironkey is ok but I'd use something like diskcryptor
http://diskcryptor.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=452.0;attach=251
which encrypts whole partitions only, it does not create partitions/volumes like trucrypt. Or simply add a portable version of freearc to the stick. I need to upgrade to a 16gb at the minimum.

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
hey guys I've read some negative stuff on anything over 4GB when it comes to USB flash drives... apparently the failure rates just zoom as you increase capacity... I almost bought the 32GB unit until I read about the failure rate... the recommendation was to just use multiple 4GB units... if I can find it I'll post it..

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Neat!

Also consider sheet lead. Find a (free) discarded car battery, 'harvest' the lead.

Wrap whatever in the lead and maybe ground it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What's wrong with a Pelican case? You can throw a half dozen sticks in there and wrap them in lead or whatever makes you happy. Waterproof, virtually indestructable...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts