Votes: 117 43.5%
  • Rural

Votes: 118 43.9%
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed in here in numerous discussions that arguments ensue when the topic veers to where one lives or plans to be living. There seem to be extreme views in both camps. Quite often the rural guy views anyone in a large metro area as some know it all city slicker who hasn’t prepped, can’t skin griz, but is going to show up at their barn the day after SHTF with an Uzi demanding some of their goodies. On the flip side, many of the urban folks see the rural guy as some hayseed living in a root cellar under his single-wide with 5 years worth of food who is going to shoot anyone he doesn’t recognize once they get within range. I’m afraid the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

With that being said, I’m curious how people here categorize themselves, are you urban, rural or suburban? I don’t like to whine and complain, but the fact is, those in suburbia get no respect in this place, maybe we’re the RINOs of the survival world. Please vote on where you currently reside, I’m sure there are some hicks in the big city and city slickers who are morphing into sod-busters. My reason for posting this is out of curiosity, I’d like to have some idea of the profile of a prepper.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
" On the flip side, many of the urban folks see the rural guy as some hayseed living in a root cellar under his single-wide with 5 years worth of food who is going to shoot anyone he doesn’t recognize once they get within range."

And what seems to be the problem?

·
I hate everyone equally.
1,349 Posts
" On the flip side, many of the urban folks see the rural guy as some hayseed living in a root cellar under his single-wide with 5 years worth of food who is going to shoot anyone he doesn’t recognize once they get within range."

And what seems to be the problem?
Only 5 years worth of food? What a slacker! LOL

21,494 Posts
I rent an apartment that is 20 kilometers past cane fields and cows from the nearest shop.
Buggered if I know where I sit.

And most of our SHTF is sponsered by mother nature who does not seem to care what side of the fence we are on.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
I live in a town of 450-ish people. City people would call it country; country people would call it "in town." Suburbanites are city people, as far as I'm concerned.

So I add a fourth category: Rural town. That's me.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Rural - near the expressway, but 10 miles from a small town of a few hundred people. We have an old state highway at the back of our property.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Rural. Very rural. So rural that gps will only get you within a half mile. And we like it that way.

GPS and cellphones don't work out here, trees are too tall and thick.

·
Indefatigable
21,135 Posts
Big city, too poor to get out for good (right now) but we have spent a lot of time making the best of it here. We did just fine during an 11 day blackout with temps below 0.

Reactions: charlie505

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
We have a 200 acre farm that we live on, we have about 45 acres of timber, 135 acres tilled and the rest in hay. We have 40 acres of BLM forest bordering the back of our place which is landlocked by private property. We are very rural here, and I probably resemble the hayseed remark lol...

We live between Troy and Deary Idaho in Latah county.

Latah is 1,078 sq miles and has a population of 37, 244 people. A lot of hayseeds around here..lol

We have one city in Latah, Moscow Id pop 25,000 which drops when the university students go home.

We have 7 towns here in Latah,
Bovil pop 305
Troy pop 798
Deary pop 552
Kendrick pop 369
Juliettea pop 609
Genesee pop 946
Potlach pop 791

There are around 10,000 people living outside of town and city here living in around 1,000 sq miles. There are about 10 people per square mile average in the rural area around here.

There is an average of about 18.5 acres per person in Latah county.
Average farm size is 389 acres.

Latah County is located in the northern Idaho panhandle; to the immediate west lies Whitman County, Washington. These counties are referred to as “the Palouse,” which produces a large share of the wheat, lentils, peas, oats and barley in the United States. The Palouse is home to two major universities, University of Idaho and Washington State University.

unincorporated communities are,
Avon, Cedar creek, Farmington, Harvard, Helmer, Howell, Joel, Princeton and Viola.. I was unable to look up statistics on any of them, but Helmer is only about 9 miles away from us, it has a pop of about 25 and has a small resturaunt/bar( A good place to eat by the way).

This is the area that I reside in, the one place in all my travels that has really felt like home to me..

·
Stop being on my side!
8,536 Posts
I’m afraid the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

It so often does.

The problem with the suburbs is that they don't fit into the false dichotomy of city/country. Nobody knows what stereotype fits you, and it just messes things up. ;)

My own location is rural, but I live near the stop light and the post office, so it's almost like living in a town. The suburbs are creeping up the highway, though, so we might have to blow the bridge soon...

1 - 20 of 94 Posts