Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of trying to spread the word about preparedness and self reliance/survival in disaster situations, I've recently decided to just give up. Nearly everyone I talk to about these things either laughs, blows me off, etc. I've just decided to go "dark" with my preps. I keep it all to myself and when it hits the fan, I just am going to "disappear" and take care of me and mine at an undisclosed location.

I've come to the conclusion that most people are just too stupid to try to help. Its a cynical view I know but I think its the truth. They want to live in the fantasy world of nothings-ever-going-to-happen-and-if-it-does-the-gummint-will-take-care-of-us so let 'em suffer and die for being so stupid. I mean really if people are so dumb as to not even have a small disaster bag stashed in house somewhere, they are kinda asking for it aren't they?

I'm sure you know what I'm saying....

·
Old and Senile
1,467 Posts
Talking to other than fellow preppers is a major security breach. When the SHTF, those you talked to will remember you and figure you have food and supplies, and that ain't a good thing. Are you willing to shoot those you talked to to keep you and your family safe?
Just something to think about.

·
Matthew 5:7
313 Posts
It's always the people you least expect...

That's how I was getting with my family, every time I bought up preparing, they would always say, "I'll just come over to your house." But over the weekend, I was with my sister-in-law and her friend and the friend started talking about preparing for the worst. Totally took me by surprise. I gave her one of my Emergency Essentials catalogs and she was thrilled. So don't give up, there are still people out there who will listen! :thumb:

·
Free Mason
1,100 Posts
We all would like to help other people. Sometimes people listen to our advice. Sometimes they don't. We see the world one way they see it another. We have the right to prepare. People have the right not to prepare. We also have the right not to share if we see fit. Try not to be discuraged. If you convince only one person you may have saved his or her life.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
As cold as it sounds, don’t tell anyone. You will end up being a carry out willing or not… It took me a while to just forget about others, because that is not my nature but if and when it comes what I have is for me and my family.

I can rest knowing I tried to talk people into it, giving them tips and advice telling them “Come on let’s start this together” and when they did not start but asked me later if I did, I’d always said, “No I never had the time either… But if you want to start now I might be able to get at least a little going… Maybe we can get together and get a list started and go from there?”

It is hard once you reach this point, for me I always helped people my whole life but you can only do so much for so long… But I know my family and I will be alright and I will pray for my friends that did not take me up on the offer…

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,633 Posts
I gave up years back. I got too many "I'll just come to your house" replies and not enough actual interest. The other thing that bothered me, and this is OUR OWN FAULT, was the constant "yeah, and you loons thought X was the end of the world too". If we'd stop with the damned nonstop "the sky is falling" predictions, more people would take us seriously. Each new person who preps is one less desperate one coming for your food. The predictions don't do us any good anyway, since nobody has ever gotten it right yet. All they do is cause harm.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Are you tired of trying to help people? I am. ....
So am I! All the Welfare Scum needs to be cut off and the Illegals need to stay home. I go to work and pay taxes... No reason someone else cant do the Same. However the Govt has made Welfare a liveable wage, with all the other perks given, on our tax money...It sucks to say the least.

·
Cautious Optimist
169 Posts
I do what I can to encourage people to be wise, good stewards of their earnings, and to wisely prepare for all possibilities in the future.

I am surprised that at how many people are already making some plans and preparations. I'm equally surprised at how many are clueless about the state of our world.

As a clergy member I feel that I have a responsibility to sound a "warning bell" of sorts to the people under my care. My struggle is sounding such a warning of wisdom without sounding like a complete kook.

It's a challenging line to walk ...

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
The people of New Orleans watched huricane Katrina comming there way and didn't do much in preperation. Not too many people are willing to open their eyes and notice disaster may be just a day away.
By the time they saw it coming, it was too late. There wasn't enough food or water jugs in the city so everyone could have enough, not enough building materials to reinforce houses and cover windows, or enough gas to fuel cars for everyone to get sufficiently far enough away or room on the roads for them to drive. The time to get ready for disaster is LONG before it arrives; a day away is too close to prepare for.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I no longer mention anything about anything to anyone. I did prior to Y2K when I first began prepping but I was laughed at for my trouble. I've been fortunate enough to find this board via Kev's vids and though I haven't contributed per se I appreciate all the ideas I get from people who contribute so much. I have a three people I've made preps for in addition to myself so when and if the shtf I will be doing what I can to ensure their survival. I haven't given up on those who haven't prepared though. I keep hoping they'll wake up before it's too late.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts