Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this forum everyday but only login every once and a while.
If you are serious about communications you need to get a license find someone who knows there stuff and listen. If you pay attention you can talk anywhere, anytime.
Everything pictured was less than $1000.00 including 2 amps, not pictured.
It covers 2 thru 160 meters including 11 meters. Antennas are free if you listen to the old guys, or buy a book. You just have to scrap up the parts.

73's Dirt Diver

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
amps

These are the amps, a 6 meter and a 3-30 MHz amp, both 100 watts, no high dollar stuff and the 6 meter is so I can watch the tubes glow in the Gonset and the amp. Nota whole lot of traffic on 6 meter AM but when there is I'm there!
Notice the homebrew antenna switch on the back of the 6 meter amp. don't ever buy one because you can build it for pennies on the dollar. The video is on youtube.

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hey, Diver, that looks a lot like a TS-520 and AT-520 in your shack. Used one just like that for about 30 years. It's my backup now. A great rig. GP

·
Dios y Tejas
6,689 Posts
OK, it's driving me nuts. Altzheimer has set in. I recognize the front face of the HF transciever, but I cant place the model. I dont think it's a TS 520 altho it's very similar. Maybe I'm wrong and Grandad Prepper is right., but spill the beans.

Give us a quick equipment list and your purchase price. I have been trying to tell people that you dont have to spend thousands if you go with good used tube equipment. Your setup may finally convince those thinking about getting licensed. Very Good Post.

·
Spyder Rider
1,809 Posts
I picked up an Icom 746 from a ham moving to an assisted living facility for 500 bucks,
160 to 2m all mode on all bands and 100 watts on all bands. Truly a shack in a box.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, FT-101EE and FC-901 tuner. The tuner will tune in a garbage can on 20 meters!
I will tell you this, when you buy used gear take someone with you that knows what they are doing. I've never been screwed buy anyone. But I have screwed myself by lack of knowelge

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I just bought 3 cb radios to put in my rigs for when the satilites go down and cell and land lines at least i can call my home within reasonable range. What would you suggest for the best antenna,s to use i really dont want anything over 4 ft tall on my rigs.
THANKS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Questions from a "new" ham-

I got my Technicians ticket in 2008, but I only get on the air a couple of times each month, mostly to one or two friends I have. I may not be all that "new", but I don't have much experience.

As far as cheap, I spent about $120 on a Yasue FT-2800 mobile radio, and about $110 on a 5/8 antenna with the needed feed lines and all. All I have is 2 meters, but as far as versatility, my car is where ever I am. Cheap and it works great!

Question to toss out- I know that it is illegal to use any type of secret code in transmissions, and anonymity is forbidden: call letters must be spit out at least every 10 minutes. And anyone with an Internet connection can find your home address in less than 2 minutes! I know that's the law, but I am looking for a reason that makes sense! Anybody know?

Thanks- Vpatriot

·
Registered
260 Posts
Question to toss out- I know that it is illegal to use any type of secret code in transmissions, and anonymity is forbidden: call letters must be spit out at least every 10 minutes. And anyone with an Internet connection can find your home address in less than 2 minutes! I know that's the law, but I am looking for a reason that makes sense! Anybody know?

Thanks- Vpatriot
Historically, the final courtesy for each QSO is to send a QSL card. it used to be that you had call books, similar to phone books, that had a listing for every licensed amateur in the US.. The international call books had everyone else. When hard copy call books went away, a market opened up and QRZ.COM's database showed up. The reality is that your public info being available was designed for the honorable amateur operator and not the guy who was casing your house for equipment to steal...

Its true, the government wants to know your name and address, etc.. that wont change...it is what it is...You can, however, list your QRZ address as a PO box, if you like. I know plenty of people that do, but I think it depends on the info you supply the FCC.. Yes, the FCC wants a physical address, just like your state wants when you have a CHL - there is no way around it, but its possible to keep your info out the hands of the common public if you list your mailing address as a PO box...You can even list a different grid square on your QRZ listing so people can't see your home.

Its true that anyone could clone your call sign when IDing and say they were you and the only signature that it wasn't would be that a signal was arriving from the wrong direction, the operator had a better or worse fist or the voices didn't match up...As you have said, its the law... There probably isn't any other reason if you are doing mischief to ID unless you are trying to prove a point and exercise some ego (like K1MAN whose been in a fight with the FCC for years)...Here in Texas, James R Vining, N5RLX, was a fixture on 3853 for many years and he wore his call sign like a celebrity...The reason I ID is because 1) its the law, 2) I collect QSL cards and chase awards, 3) I have pride in my station and operating and like to be associated with that...But if you want to hide your identity, why bother with a license in the first place, especially if you have others doing the same to talk to (the free banders do this on 10m all the time!) - I'm not condoning, I just playing the logic game...

73 and go get on the air!

Mo-Go

·
Registered
2 Posts
What finally got me into ham was when someone on another board pointed out, sure in an emergency you can do what ever you want with whatever radio you want, but if you don't practice in the mean time, you won't know how.

I used this line to convince my wife to study with me. She did, and we both got Lics, but we never really get on the radio. I suppose really, UHF/VHF is pretty easy. It's HF I need to get figured out.

·
Dios y Tejas
6,689 Posts
What finally got me into ham was when someone on another board pointed out, sure in an emergency you can do what ever you want with whatever radio you want, but if you don't practice in the mean time, you won't know how.

I used this line to convince my wife to study with me. She did, and we both got Lics, but we never really get on the radio. I suppose really, UHF/VHF is pretty easy. It's HF I need to get figured out.
Being simplex, HF is easier in my opinion. No offsets, no repeaters, just skywave based on Antenna system. It should be no Problem Congrads on getting your wife onboard!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for that, Mother Goose! What you say makes sense. Without any intention of anything illegal or immoral, sometimes private communications are appropriate. I'll have to see what else I can come up with!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts