Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Hunter and Prepper
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello survival girls and guys! I was writing this post after being reminded of something that I read in "One Second After".

Should a wide spread SHTF scenario occur, are you ready to be judge and jury? To decide who lives or dies?

The something that I was reminded of in "One Second After" was the part of the book were the woman offers John sex in order for a place to stay the night, but let us take the situation and put a different spin on it. Let's say that you are a survivalist and as far as SHTF living goes, you/your family are doing pretty well. Who do you take in? Only people with skills necessary to living? Or do you give out some of your preps/skills to people/sheeple?

By giving out your preps to sheeple you can make others aware to your situation by word of mouth. I just want to know the mindset of those who are ready to turn others away or even worse.

I myself stand completely ready to make the call on who stays or goes, and I am sure that as many "A" type personalities exist on this site others are too. But what if your wife/husband looks into your eyes and ask you to be kind to a stranger? to give them food that you and your loved ones could use? How do you react? What do you say?

I already know that I will be turning away others and doing my best to make sure that at the end of the day, my family is safe, but I wanna hear other points of view and arguments too!

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
For me, it would be dependent upon the attitude of the people. Also, they'd have to be willing to pitch in and help gather food, hunt, provide security, and build shelters.
If I had the extra food, I would certainly offer something to eat. But my primary concern would be for me and my family.

I WOULD absolutely decide who lives or who dies if the security of my group were to be compromised by a stranger or strangers.
My BOL is in a very isolated area, that requires much difficult driving to get to. While others certainly could, and would, find me, the number of strangers would be minimal, I believe. The nearest actual city is about 300 miles away, and nearest to the cities would be the highest density of intruders.

·
Hunter and Prepper
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Desert,

I feel the same way. I would only consider use of deadly force should I feel that by letting a person live, something worse would come of it (i.e. raiders). My BOL is actually around a few other houses in a back country area. The main defense to the place is the few number of people and the ability to make it look deserted quick, fast and in a hurry

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,561 Posts
I have no intentions of handing out anything to anyone. Nor of taking anyone in, unless the current circumstances require it. I.E. a doctor and we are in desperate need of medical care.

That's not being judge nor jury. I am not deciding if they live or not. They decided that for themselves by not preparing. It's not up to me to be their safety net. And I won't endanger my own, to provide for someone who couldn't be bothered to provide for their own.

Besides, unless you can feed them for the duration, all your handout is doing is prolonging their inevitable end by a few more days. So it really achieves nothing other than making you feel good temporarily.

As for self defense. I would only fire on someone who is a threat or has shown their intentions to be a threat. Such as someone who is deliberately breaching my fence, even though there are warning signs letting them know it won't be tolerated. That doesn't have to be an active threat to myself. If I see someone victimizing others, I will remove the threat if possible. So in that regard, I am willing to be judge, jury, and if need be, executioner.

·
Registered
165 Posts
There are a lot of assumptions to be made with your scenario but assuming that you have grouped up with likeminded people I suppose each person/group would basically be voted in or out.

The only way someone would be hurt/killed in my presence would be if they constituted an immediate physical threat to my group/family. NO PREMPTIVE STRIKES WOULD BE ALLOWED, we would be no better than cold blooded killers.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
Are you asking if I can stand with a cold heart and turn away people in need that I personally or professionally have not use for.

I’ve already done it in three foreign countries.

Did it bother me? Yes, almost as much as they annoyed me.

Now, if I were able to make a lasting difference that did not compromise my families position, to a manageable number of refugees. I would consider such.

Please don’t forget that early in the book, outsiders were accepted and taken in as full members of the community. When the ongoing flow of refugees approached, they sent such on their way.

·
Livin' life
216 Posts
This is actually an easy question. In a One Second After scenario, I will turn anyone aways that does not benefit myself or my family (either blood, or those that have become family by my choice due to me choosing to survive with them as a group). And I do not expect that I will ever give it a second thought. But I am a cold hearted bastard, and a realist. Every meal that I give away is a meal that I am potentially taking away from my family. And with an unknown duration before resupply, I would simply be bringing my family one step closer to being in the situation of those whom I would be choosing to help. No thanks. My family and I come first.

Personally, I thougt you were going a different way with this thread. I expected yout to be referencing when the main character (I forget his name, and I only read the book once before passing my copy along to a like minded friend) executed the vermin for stealing from the hospital. I do not know if I could handle that. I believe in that situation, I would do what I needed to do. But I do not like that thought of what effect it would have on me.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
It won't be necessary for me to be judge & jury. I haven't prepped that much & I won't have anything extra to share. If they don't have something I'm willing to barter my limited resources for, they'll be asked to leave my property.

What happens from there is entirely on them. I can only pray that I'm able to defend myself, my family & my property if they decide to become violent. If they do become violent & I repell their attack, the extra meat will be a welcome addition to my preps.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have no intentions of handing out anything to anyone. Nor of taking anyone in, unless the current circumstances require it. I.E. a doctor and we are in desperate need of medical care.

That's not being judge nor jury. I am not deciding if they live or not. They decided that for themselves by not preparing. It's not up to me to be their safety net. And I won't endanger my own, to provide for someone who couldn't be bothered to provide for their own.

Besides, unless you can feed them for the duration, all your handout is doing is prolonging their inevitable end by a few more days. So it really achieves nothing other than making you feel good temporarily.

As for self defense. I would only fire on someone who is a threat or has shown their intentions to be a threat. Such as someone who is deliberately breaching my fence, even though there are warning signs letting them know it won't be tolerated. That doesn't have to be an active threat to myself. If I see someone victimizing others, I will remove the threat if possible. So in that regard, I am willing to be judge, jury, and if need be, executioner.

My thoughts exactly, well said. There are only a couple of spots on my 4.5 acres that are not clearly marked..... yet

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
im sorry but one second after is a book with little realistic scenarios in it you should not base your oppinion of what the SHTF will be based off that book or patriots

every scenario i have seen posted on these forums has happened in the past for the most part and unfortunatly they were never asspectacular as 90% of yall think they will be

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
I've spent my time and my money on getting my preps, no one helped me with them. I would take one family in to help with the work, garden, wood cutting etc. I do NOT feel obligated to endanger my family for sheeple. They had as much of a chance as I did to prepare.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Atleast in the way I see the situation anyone coming near my place will be asked to move along unless there is some sort of medical assistance needed. Escelation of force will not be used for anyone refusing, there is no way i'm letting anyone with a grudge remember where I am.

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
If you are not part of my group today, you are not part of my group tomorrow.

Times are going to be tough, that is why I prep today.

Not a judge or a juror, also not responsible for folks I do not know or want to know.

We are all adults and still have time to prepare ourselves...those who don't are not my concern. The cold hard truth...

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
If you are not part of my group today, you are not part of my group tomorrow.

Times are going to be tough, that is why I prep today.

Not a judge or a juror, also not responsible for folks I do not know or want to know.

We are all adults and still have time to prepare ourselves...those who don't are not my concern. The cold hard truth...
That sums me up too. Well put good sir.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
I suspect that if you put yourself in a position where a large number of refugees can come calling, you've done far more to compromise your survival than giving away a meal would. Given enough time you will have visitors with an inclination to take a meal and the means to do it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I suspect that if you put yourself in a position where a large number of refugees can come calling, you've done far more to compromise your survival than giving away a meal would. Given enough time you will have visitors with an inclination to take a meal and the means to do it.
If you give someone a meal they will know you have food to give. Chances are they will be back the next day for another. I'm sorry I don't remember the person who posted how she tried to give food to others but they refused because they wanted what she was eating not what she had to share. In other words, it's a vicious circle. If you give it's bad, if you don't it's bad. Unless it's a lone child, I'm not feeding anyone.

·
Insert Clever Phrase Here
526 Posts
if you are not part of my group today, you are not part of my group tomorrow.

Times are going to be tough, that is why i prep today.

Not a judge or a juror, also not responsible for folks i do not know or want to know.

big ditto!!!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I would hate to see a kid go hungery, but my family comes first. My wife kids n grandkids n extended family would eat befor I would even think about giving anybody food.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts