Survivalist Forum banner

What will you do?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reading back over the squatting thread got me thinking, how many of you are prepared to defend your family by shooting someone that is treaspassing on your property.

Will you let them pass through or will you get rid of them before they have a chance to harm you?

Do you trust them and add them to your group of people you are already trying to feed? Do you give them chance to be Duly Warned (by no treaspasing signs or Verbally warned) and move on before you open fire or shoot first and not give a rats butt why-but just that they did treaspass?

I plan on not giving a rats butt why, they are afterall breaking that trust issue by willingly coming onto my property with it being legally signed every 8 foot NO TREASPASSING in big red letters. I can only assume that someone that is willing to treaspass will not stop there at taking what they want from my property to survive themselves.

If you vote other please tell us what the other may be please.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You should always carefully gauge the situation first. They may not be looking to harm but instead if they anounce themselves and are willing to disarm, may be looking to trade labor or other comodities for food and shelter. If they wish to pass through make sure they do and exscort them away, disarming them ofcourse. If they are unwilling to abide your terms or there is any sign they wish to harm you or your family, make predator bait out of them. Some will not give you much time to react. In which case you open fire. There is much to be said for using ones head. Shoot first is not allways the wisest descision.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I would warn/scare them away.If they act aggresive, then it would be a different story.

Reactions: joes and Sam43

·
Registered
488 Posts
Most travelers/nomads will probably have less skills than most. Most will be unarmed and most that are armed won't have ammo. They will almost always be in groups. The longer it's been post shtf the more wise they will be.
Most home bound survivalists would probably have farms to tend to, firewood to cut and plenty of other chores. On a large piece of land it is easier for the trespassers to lie down for a day and observe the inhabitants activities and take the first shots.
I would wait for them to pass through and be observant. Depending on their appearance I may talk to them (a family). An agreement may be made to let them live near by and help out. The biggest benefit would be more hands to hold rifles and eyes to look out. The next trespassers may not be as nice and there is nothing more valuable than some one you trust. I'd try to keep my joint as hidden as possible for these reasons.

Your mentality may have some ask whether they are prepared to shoot territorial owners of 100 plus acres.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
It all depends on the situation. No question if it comes to crossing my door threshold. Everyone eats lead at that junction. If they are out in the yard, etc., they will get a brisk warning as I shoulder my 12 ga.

I'm not Rambo, and don't want to be. If TSHTF, I want as little attention as possible and having your entire property assessed by the media in their detailing of your "compound" is not my idea of being smart. So lobbing rounds at every knuckle head crossing your property will probably do more harm than good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Most travelers/nomads will probably have less skills than most. Most will be unarmed and most that are armed won't have ammo. They will almost always be in groups. The longer it's been post shtf the more wise they will be.
Most home bound survivalists would probably have farms to tend to, firewood to cut and plenty of other chores. On a large piece of land it is easier for the trespassers to lie down for a day and observe the inhabitants activities and take the first shots.
so true. was thinking about the scene in Jericho where the group was faking as Marines. they really didnt have any ammo so the people took their weapons and their tank and sent them walking.

i am worried about trespassers observing my activities and taking shots tho; even with less than 4 acres. guess i'll have to send the dogs out to scout things out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
depending upon appearance, for example young/skilled/healthy or older/weaker/unskilled

if they have an abrasive appearance warn of trespassing if they do not heed my demand i fire
if they are clearly looters/bandits fire first ask questions later
if they have something to offer me, disarm and talk to them
if they are older/not helpful to me, do what i can within reason to help, send them on they're way and tell them not to come back

·
Registered
264 Posts
my BOL is about 1100 acres hard to stop trespassing when there is only 2 of you have a family that i can trust but they live about 2 hours drive from me and would take a while toget there so i made a smaller perimeter area and hope the fence does what it is supposed to

·
Registered
23 Posts
don't forget that there likely won't be any sort of communications to contact anyone. a relative/friend could show up and you wouldn't even recognize them. especially if they've been trekking and surviving for weeks on foot. when tshtf people will go through a lot of things that will change them physically as well as mentally.

be careful not to shoot uncle larry!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts