Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've wrestled with this one. I don't know what's right. I can't stand to watch an animal or person suffer but I worked hard while others laughed at me or were out spending their time on enjoyment.

What do others think?
We have debated this. Once the nose of the camel is under the tent flap where does it end?

Unfortunately there will be some unhappy, hungry, one way visitors. What else can we do??

Fortunately we are in an area with lots of preppers.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
Sooooo you intend to share your "extra" - ??? >>> Question to you - Just how are you determining what is "extra" when you have a totally unverifiable end date to the current SHTF - How do you determine whether a regional war and worldwide depression doesn't tangent onto a lingering "pandemic"? ....

Even if things in the world settled down into everything clicking OK like in 2017-18 - you're up on the prep supply level - $$$ prices are OK >>> You couldn't depend or trust the FED GOV on absolutely anything - going to be a constant prepping environment from now on - waiting for the next crooked move or SHTF hoax ....

·
Registered
915 Posts
We've the short term for blackouts and such and for the shtf long term, easily replaced items no problem during blackouts... total collapse... forget about it. Those items are automatically converted to trade goods.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
53,788 Posts
I've wrestled with this one. I don't know what's right. I can't stand to watch an animal or person suffer but I worked hard while others laughed at me or were out spending their time on enjoyment.

What do others think?
I'll look at things on a case-by-case basis. I'm sure I won't be able to witness a starving child without helping him/her in some way. But able-bodied men who've known for years that things could get bad but did zero to prepare are on their own. I've "preached" to many full grown men about the need to prepare for hard times. I've always concluded my "sermon" with: "Now that you know that you should prepare it's up to you to take responsibility for yourself. Don't come knocking on my door if or when you find yourself in need because my door will remained closed." I'm pretty much sticking to that philosophy. I'm not a rich man so I'm limited as to how much I can prepare. So I'm preparing for me and me alone, at this point.

·
Registered
984 Posts
After much thought, my wife and I have decide to share our supplies with our minor children who we love!

Seriously, no we are not going to share our supplies with anyone at anytime. If another well prep family wants to barter then yes we will trade if it benefits us and them and we know a few.

I am sorry if people have not heeded the signs. I could understand helping people prior to Covid but not now. Everyone should understand the implications of not being prepared.

I love people and have a big heart but at the end of the day, my children and wife are my top priority and I am not taking away from them to help someone who refused to help themselves!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've been pondering this scenario lately,short term (say hurricane or natural disasters/)sure, that's how community pulls together,but anything past that.?.?. Forget about it.Hungry people can and will smell delicious food cooking miles away,I'm not about to secretly eat a cold can of ravioli because the general public didn't plan ahead.If it comes down to having to pull shifts/watch during meal time then so be it, henceforth 24 hour shift has become a huge plan here on the property because our fires will burn around the clock.This tribe don't sleep.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,563 Posts
What I do will, I think, depend on circumstances. There are a few people I'd like to have as allies; they would be more likely to get help.

I suspect I'll do some charity donations, but what I don't want to do is make clear to people that I have extras--because it's a good bet they'll keep coming back. Thus I'll probably do it through churches, maybe a food bank, something like that.

Some also depends on how many dependents I have here. I could have as many as six, as few as two. If it's just the two, then maybe there's a little more extra.

It's very hard to say what I will or won't do. There are a million possible scenarios, and I'll use my common sense at the time, in whatever scenario(s) come to pass.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have debated this. Once the nose of the camel is under the tent flap where does it end?

Unfortunately there will be some unhappy, hungry, one way visitors. What else can we do??

Fortunately we are in an area with lots of preppers.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
My hubby said that other peppers may be who will hunt you down to steal supplies when theirs run out. I don't know. But I grasp what you're saying: once you start helping others there will be no stopping them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sooooo you intend to share your "extra" - ??? >>> Question to you - Just how are you determining what is "extra" when you have a totally unverifiable end date to the current SHTF - How do you determine whether a regional war and worldwide depression doesn't tangent onto a lingering "pandemic"? ....

Even if things in the world settled down into everything clicking OK like in 2017-18 - you're up on the prep supply level - $$$ prices are OK >>> You couldn't depend or trust the FED GOV on absolutely anything - going to be a constant prepping environment from now on - waiting for the next crooked move or SHTF hoax ....
That's true - we don't know when it will end. And I agree about the government. I just wonder how one can handle the emotions and whether God expects something from us. I just don't know.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Nope. I don't have enough to share. Just immediate family and one couple we are close to but live outside the area. If any of them came here I would welcome them. All have skills, attitudes and work ethic that I wouldn't mind LIVING in my home. They also would not come empty handed.

Others? No. I've prepped pretty well on a low income by cutting other expenses to afford to stock up on everything I can think of. I'm driving an old car, they have new ones. They go on expensive vacations, I go camping, they eat out all the time, I cook at home, and brown bag food for lunch, and when we go out. They have made choices over and over that meant they couldn't/didn't prep.

A lot of them were very, very nasty with hoarder comments with all the shut downs in PA 2 years ago with the Wuhan Virus. Two years ago, I still went to the grocery store, because if I didn't it would have stuck out like a sore thumb in our neighborhood. What they didn't realize is that true preppers stock up over years and I didn't have to buy TP, pasta, sauce, flour, sugar, cleaners and all the other items that were in short supply. I bought bread, milk, eggs and any item that was on sale that fit my needs. I've said it before, my grocery bills for the first half of 2020 were ridiculously low. Then the last half sales started and I was able to really stock up, there were some amazing sales because people had overspent so much during the lockdowns and weren't buying as much.

What do others think?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll look at things on a case-by-case basis. I'm sure I won't be able to witness a starving child without helping him/her on some way. But able-bodied men who've known for years that things could get bad but did zero to prepare are on their own. I've "preached" to many full grown men about the need to prepare for hard times. I've always concluded my "sermon" with: "Now that you know that you should prepare it's up to you to take responsibility for yourself. Don't come knocking on my door if or when you find yourself in need because my door will remained closed." I'm pretty much sticking to that philosophy. I'm not a rich man so I'm limited as to how much I can prepare. So I'm preparing for me and me alone, at this point.
Yes that may be the answer - a case-by-case basis. I am not rich either. I'm very uneasy about what's coming. I'm way too sensitive to see anyone suffer. I just don't know what's going to happen.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope. I don't have enough to share. Just immediate family and one couple we are close to but live outside the area. If any of them came here I would welcome them. All have skills, attitudes and work ethic that I wouldn't mind LIVING in my home. They also would not come empty handed.

Others? No. I've prepped pretty well on a low income by cutting other expenses to afford to stock up on everything I can think of. I'm driving an old car, they have new ones. They go on expensive vacations, I go camping, they eat out all the time, I cook at home, and brown bag food for lunch, and when we go out. They have made choices over and over that meant they couldn't/didn't prep.

A lot of them were very, very nasty with hoarder comments with all the shut downs in PA 2 years ago with the Wuhan Virus. Two years ago, I still went to the grocery store, because if I didn't it would have stuck out like a sore thumb in our neighborhood. What they didn't realize is that true preppers stock up over years and I didn't have to buy TP, pasta, sauce, flour, sugar, cleaners and all the other items that were in short supply. I bought bread, milk, eggs and any item that was on sale that fit my needs. I've said it before, my grocery bills for the first half of 2020 were ridiculously low. Then the last half sales started and I was able to really stock up, there were some amazing sales because people had overspent so much during the lockdowns and weren't buying as much.
I've been the recipient of nasty comments too. And I've gone without too while everyone else lived it up. I just don't know how I would cope with seeing anyone suffering although I've already suffered.

How long does pasta sauce last by the way? I bought some but want to get more. Every time I read a new report it causes inner quaking and wondering if I have enough even for us.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
18,953 Posts
No. I am a disabled, poverty level, non driving widow. If I could get supplies...

They all make way more money, have multiple vehicles, all of them, $$$ for days, have heard and seen how the world is going. So no. They will not know I have anything because I'm not telling.

It's like the homeless, you can give them something but they will be back the next day wanting twice as much. Exact same thought process. Speaking of homeless I have a big problem with them at my bus stop to go home from work. They hang out there because people give them handouts, they never leave, set up tents by the bus stop even. If the "donations" dried up they would move on but "everyone feels bad for them poor things" and then I have to deal with them going to/from work. What about the poor widow? :LOL: :LOL:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I do will, I think, depend on circumstances. There are a few people I'd like to have as allies; they would be more likely to get help.

I suspect I'll do some charity donations, but what I don't want to do is make clear to people that I have extras--because it's a good bet they'll keep coming back. Thus I'll probably do it through churches, maybe a food bank, something like that.

Some also depends on how many dependents I have here. I could have as many as six, as few as two. If it's just the two, then maybe there's a little more extra.

It's very hard to say what I will or won't do. There are a million possible scenarios, and I'll use my common sense at the time, in whatever scenario(s) come to pass.
That's a good idea donating to churches any extra.

1 - 20 of 233 Posts