Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kids in the 21st century - especially babies - face a set of challenges that are potentially just as deadly as the sickness that threatened the youth of earlier centuries.

Unfortunately, with progress comes complications, and today's children are exposed to many toxins that earlier generations never came in contact with. Here's a prime example: According to a study by the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics (CSC), there are toxic chemicals in some of the most recognized and used brand-name baby products - including lotions and shampoos.

The CSC tests found that products like the ever-popular Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo contained chemicals that the Environmental Protection Agency has marked as probable carcinogens.

Of the 48 baby products the CSC found that 32 of them (66 percent) contained trace levels of 1,4-dioxane, and 23 of them (47 percent) had levels of formaldehyde. Seventeen of the products (35 percent) actually had detectable levels of BOTH of these chemicals.

http://www.douglassreport.com/dailydose/dd200904/dd20090401a.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was just reading in a book about threats to the environment and I found out that at one time a certain company dumped 43.6 million pounds of 82 different chemicals into a canal near Niagara Falls. One of these chemicals was dioxin which 3 ounces of this can kill a million people. ( A form of dioxin.... Agent Orange)

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
In answer to your question, yes, in my opinion we are. Back when my children were born, there was little awareness of chemicals in baby (bathing) products.
It wasn't until my first Grandchild was born 11 years ago that I realized how potentially harmful those same products were.

Mother's do have better choices now than what we did 20 years ago. But of course as always, the bottom line in any manufacturing company is money. The article states that these companies hide behind FDA guidelines and I would have to agree with that comment. There are several chemicals that are FDA approved here in the US, but banned in Europe.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The modern newborn is under attack from the moment it is born. Starting with vitamin K shots to antibiotics in their eyes, to vaccines for STDs at 3 days, we are lucky more babies don't die right after birth.

Other then babywash and shampoo, formual is toxic to a newborn's system.

The fire redardant on baby clothes is dangerous, as it comes in contact with the newborn's skin. (You could take that a step further and consider cotton is a crop that excessive amounts of pesticides are used on, and can often be GMO.)

Chemicals off gassing from the baby's mattress is dangerous. Imagine the baby in a crib, nestled tight in snug pj's, a crib bumper and blankets. And we simply shrug our shoulders in bewilderment from SIDS. :rolleyes: The baby is stuck in that crib, all those toxins floating around coupled with the carbon dioxide the baby is breathing out ... it's a deadly mix.

Yes, we are poisioning our babies at lightspeed.

·
Registered
929 Posts
..not to mention everything that gets dumped in the air in metropolitian areas. Is it any wonder the cancer rate is so high in the city?

·
seek, locate, evaluate
833 Posts
I am really happy to see this post here. Not only is the medical industry something we have to scrutinize when it comes to baby's care, but the physical environment we place them in too- city, home, goods in home, clothing, bedding... Then we have to consider our own lactation as being potentially a contiminant (a sin if there ever was one!). And finally, consider formula, milk, foodstuffs, etc. as being potentially harmful.

At the end of the day, I marvel at the resiliency of life.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have heard that there is a small percentage of jet fuel found in mother's breast milk because of the flight paths overhead. Isn't that revolting?

I'm a fan of Arbonne skincare products -- they have products for babies and are made from botanical ingredients without harmful chemicals.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have heard that there is a small percentage of jet fuel found in mother's breast milk because of the flight paths overhead. Isn't that revolting?

I'm a fan of Arbonne skincare products -- they have products for babies and are made from botanical ingredients without harmful chemicals.
Actually they've found perchlorate, a chemical both naturally-occuring and man-made. It's used in rocket fuel, fireworks and treatments for thyroid conditions. It's been found in the groundwater of most states and we end up consuming it as water and in our food. It is in baby formula as well.
And you're right, it is revolting.
Also, in infant formula you get the 'added benefits' of aluminum, silicon, cadmium, genetically engineered corn and soy, MSG, phytoestrogens (endocrine disruptors), phthalates and Bisphenol-A, and sometimes melamine.
This to feed infants with? Seriously?

·
Come quickly Lord
2,049 Posts

I've gone to using Dr. Bronners soap or a more gentle approach is Cal Ben soaps. Cal Ben is very mild and smells like almonds. Environmentally friendly and good on the skin.

Here is a link to Cal Ben products (which they ship VERY quickly!):
http://www.calbenpuresoap.com/

We bought a filter for the shower. Although it doesn't take out everything, it does filter the water pretty well. This combined with the natural products for bathing has helped quite a bit.

·
The Power of III
1,365 Posts
When I saw all the artificial colors and scents in the baby products I couldn't believe it. Look at dishwashing liquid even, for example. If it is scented orange, the color is orange. Scented lemon, the color is yellow and on and on.

We work hard in our family to have a diet free of artificial colors, flavors and preservatives and we do the same with our other house hold products.

Babies don't have to smell like johnson and johnson to be babies. I much prefer the Weleda apricot oil or something more natural!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also, in infant formula you get the 'added benefits' of aluminum, silicon, cadmium, genetically engineered corn and soy, MSG, phytoestrogens (endocrine disruptors), phthalates and Bisphenol-A, and sometimes melamine.
This to feed infants with? Seriously?
Thank you for the details. 'Added benefits'? MSG?! For goodness sakes, what are we subjecting our children to??? Plus the immunizations babies get when barely outside the womb...

·
Registered
72 Posts
We bought a filter for the shower. Although it doesn't take out everything, it does filter the water pretty well. This combined with the natural products for bathing has helped quite a bit.
I didn't even know that filters were available for the shower! Where did you order it from? What did it cost?

I've begun purchasing more natural shampoo, conditioner and body wash which is an added measure of comfort.

·
let freedom ring
188 Posts
Very good post. I have read how toxic homes are today due to the fact that construction is so good and we have many, many more toxins in the home that used to not exist. What about all the cleaners you use? Detergents, softener, dish soap...they are FULL of carcinogens. And where do they go when they go down the drain?

Young children and stay at home moms are at highest risk because they are breathing these toxins day in and day out. How about your carpet? (stain resistant chemicals) Or your flame retardant mattresses that you and your growing and developing children sleep on every night? It's horrible. And FDA, EPA...what a joke. My main cleaning supply is a bottle of water with hydrogen peroxide and a few drops of GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) and my choice of yummy essential oil :) ) I have five young kids (4 boys if you can imagine) and a dog. It works awesome. Kills bacteria, is safe, and a fraction of the cost. And I'm not paranoid to let my kids clean with it.

·
let freedom ring
188 Posts
One more thing: fluoride in toothpaste and drinking water. One of the more deadly and devastating. Look it up - there is enough fluoride in a tube of toothpaste to kill a six year old child. Why do you think it has a warning to call Poison Control if your child ingests more than a small amount. Fluoride is banned in other countries. (Book: the fluoride deception by Christopher Bryson)

·
Registered
72 Posts
What about all the cleaners you use? Detergents, softener, dish soap...they are FULL of carcinogens. And where do they go when they go down the drain?

Young children and stay at home moms are at highest risk because they are breathing these toxins day in and day out. How about your carpet? (stain resistant chemicals) Or your flame retardant mattresses that you and your growing and developing children sleep on every night? It's horrible. And FDA, EPA...what a joke. My main cleaning supply is a bottle of water with hydrogen peroxide and a few drops of GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) and my choice of yummy essential oil :) )
Indeed! I have started changing over my cleaners, laundry detergents, etc over to natural products. Great natural cleaning recipe!

A few years ago at a home show in Vancouver, I heard about the toxic poisons in the paint that families and children and subjected to. There are new lines of paint that are on the market without these toxins that improve the all around health of your home.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
I have a pretty good chemistry background, so let me offer my thoughts. First of all, the article does not list the concentration of these chemicals. Concentration is usually listed in parts-per-million (ppm) and this makes a huge difference for toxicity. If you don't want to worry about Bisphenol-A, then use PET or HDPE plastics. Look on the bottom at the recycling symbol, if it has a 1 or 2, then it is safe. For the flouride thing, a much larger recommended dose would be harmful. Would you eat a whole tube of toothpaste or take a whole bottle of aspirin at once? There are plenty of natural things that aren't safe. I am not saying that I agree with this stuff, but without knowing the concentration, it is difficult to really tell how dangerous it is. If you use the peroxide in your cleaning solution, make sure your bottle is not see through. Sunlight breaks down hydrogen peroxide.

Detectable levels and trace levels, are actually a loose term in chemistry. These are levels barely detectable by a GC-MS or FT-IR. It is probably parts-per-billion or parts-per-trillion. If this is the case, I would not worry, it appears to be a scare tactic. I will look more into this and see if I can find some scientific papers on this subject.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts