Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a little tid bit for everyone...how many ppl out there that has any type of rifle,shotgun....know how to use one in a combat type situation or have some sort of training.....just wanna see where we all stand....i lucked out...i work with alot of cops and state troopers so i have learned alot from them over the years...+ the many ppl that have served that i know have showed me many things...
if u can take a training corse on combat shooting and home defense or a video even...there are many good one out there...if u are goin to have a weapon...u should know the proper way to us it ....prepping for the unknown is more than having canned goods stored away...it's knowing how to react in any situation u will face

·
Registered
774 Posts
At the risk of inviting ridicule, I have to say that some of those multiplayer FPS video games are great for learning tactics. In fact, the U.S. Army has one of its own that they use as a recruiting tool. It's called America's Army.

Of course, a video game can't teach you the physical or emotional aspect of combat. But when you play against other human beings, you learn how they think.

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
very true Arkansas_Ranger but i would rather know how it is done and be able to apply it ot the best i know than to be lost and not know anything at all......that is the point i'm getting at....at least u will know something rather than nothing ....would u rather 20 ppl running around with no clue...or 5 ppl that have some sort of training .......one think i have found out over the years is that when SHTF...most ppl will run out and try to get a gun...and those are the ppl that scare me the most....the ones that never fired one...and have no clue

·
Home...where the horse is
186 Posts
Played the CDP course my brother (rest his soul) ran in Key West while a Gunner's Mate in the Navy. Other than that, just understanding, under fire, what it means to be willing to kill or be killed.

·
Registered
282 Posts
luckily ive had the privilage of having many friends and people i know in the army and marines. they have taught me what i need to know. my mothers current BF was in the marines and the army and the national guard now. we sat down one day and were talking and he told me he was very surprised at how much i know and how to do alot of stuff. he even told me that i pretty much know all the urban enviornment tactics already as we were talking to my mother about the stuff. its amazing what TV games etc. but "mainly" books can teach you

though i am by far from knowing everything

·
Strength and Honor
290 Posts
Paper targets don't shoot back. It nice to talk to people and go out and practice, but you can't say how you'll react for real until you are there. I wouldn't rely too much on the video games either. Killing an enemy on your computer screen isn't the same as putting a bullet in somebody's head without hesitation. Again, it's easy to talk tough until it's go time. Not everybody has it in them, which isn't meant to be a put down. It's only human to have reservations.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Paper targets don't shoot back. It nice to talk to people and go out and practice, but you can't say how you'll react for real until you are there. I wouldn't rely too much on the video games either. Killing an enemy on your computer screen isn't the same as putting a bullet in somebody's head without hesitation. Again, it's easy to talk tough until it's go time. Not everybody has it in them, which isn't meant to be a put down. It's only human to have reservations.

It's true, targets and video games aren't like putting a bullet in someone's head, but I think you'll agree very few people are able to "train" that way. None of us (who haven't had to experience battle) know exactly what we will do when faced with the situation. All we can do is be as prepared as possible.

·
Strength and Honor
290 Posts
It's true, targets and video games aren't like putting a bullet in someone's head, but I think you'll agree very few people are able to "train" that way. None of us (who haven't had to experience battle) know exactly what we will do when faced with the situation. All we can do is be as prepared as possible.
Agreed, but there's too many people with a false sense of security that think they are ready for anything because "my cousin's sister's brother used to be a marine and showed me a couple things". Everyone should be training hard now more than ever, regardless of experience.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I agree with all the statements here. I've had experience in service and I must say, even different squads handle things differently. Different divisions/regiments are set up different too. 101st is unlike the 75th, yet similar in that most 75th have wings too. But front line is not the same as behind lines. I've been in both. The best thing you can do behind lines is to keep low, and if attacked, fight back with fury and rage then move out quick.

You have to realize that the other guy is out to kill you too, and he may not hesitate. You are fighting for a belief and freedom (I can speak for me only). Those that oppress the poor without mercy will/have got none from me. Nor should they.

As far as games, they can help if you can't join up or ride with the LEOs. AA is a great tool for not only combat, but team work, medical and squad movement. Interdiction is a great map to learn on. I even heard about a person saving someones life because of the medical training on AA. And that's no joke. Games can teach you things, but nothing is close to real life. That's a given.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Paintball. Not the "professional" stuff where the sit behind giant inflatables and send a million paintballs flying.

I like the capture the flag games in the woods. Great exercise and good experience.
i hear ya :thumb: when i was playing alot now days they would call it woods ball but it was how tourny's was done back then

by this sites standards im a master sargent :D: http://www.specialopspaintball.com/index.asp

1 - 20 of 32 Posts