Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about this on The New Additions Sticky:

I dunno if towels are considered a necessity by the avg survivalist, but did yall see the chamois / shammy towels used by the swimmers at the Olympics this summer? I just order a couple sets of 4 of these. They come in "a Sporty, lighter weight (140 gram) & size (15“x16“)" (sport) and 20" x14" (original size):

Shammy Solutions

Post I found on divers and shammies:

Shammies?

Like the showers, the shammies serve a practical purpose. Divers’ skin must be perfectly dry so they do not lose their grip when they do complicated dives. Kenny Armstrong, a United States diving coach, said that the American Matt Scoggin lost his grip in Barcelona in 1992 while performing a back three-and-a-half somersault and landed on his back in the finals. …

Divers develop attachments to shammies, Armstrong said.

“They get pretty comfortable with them,” he said. “It’s their buddy for usually their whole career. I’ve seen guys where you can look right through them.”
http://outsports.com/olympics2008/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/shammiesb.jpg

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I'm thinking it would be an excellent idea to have them...many uses. The prices seem reasonable. The size and thickness could be easily accomodated in packs.

·
V
21,713 Posts
necessity? maybe not, bloody useful? definately! I have a quick drying towel or 2 about the place. Usually small lightweight multi purpose and cheap!! I have 1 in my BoB plus 1 in my bushbag, that goes with me whenever I hit the woods.

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
Shamwow's or other shammy towel is a good idea. Drying off after a shower or bath can help reduce the production of bacteria, (especially on certain areas of the body) and can make you more comfortable. Don't believe it. Next time you shower, just go ahead and get dressed and see how uncomfortable you feel. :xeye: Also, smell your clothes about 2 hours later after you dry out. :eek:
If nothing else, it may prolong the time that you stay clean or the comfort factor will be good for your morale. That is important in any survival situation.

·
Antique Nurse
644 Posts
Old Granny Woman here will shelter in place.

I have a large stockpile of cotton towels and a way to wash/bleach/dry them. My neighbors know I have medical skills and anyone who has tried to deliver a baby knows the little critters will require towels and other linens.

So towels, for me, I will be sticking to the old ways.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think towels are important to have and the smaller/lighter the better.

I like to keep cotton baby receiving blankets for use as towels. We use them for camping and I always keep some in my car. They are cheap, absorbent, lightweight and don't take up much space. (I'm doing this on a tight budget, but would definitely look into the ones you posted if I had spare funds)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I keep two sham wows in my camping kit. They are great for camp towels, and make great pre filters for water. They are light weight and take up almost no room.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
I carry a couple 19" X 27" shamwow (made in Germany) shammy's in my backpacking & camping gear. Simply because they are smaller, compact better, are lighter, more absorbent & wring out far better/quicker than normal towels. That said, I still carry a bar towel or 2 for wiping down cooking gear & personal hygiene. Simply because a greasy shammy isn't fun. A bar towel is small, inexpensive & wash / wring out easily.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I live on an Island where "winter" pretty much means rain starts in Sept and keeps going until around March or April...

If there is a chance you will get wet to the skin, intentionally (as in bathing) or not (necessity river cross, accidental fall in the drink, etc), you want to be able to get dry fast.

So, simply put, YES. Something to use as a towel, in a waterproof package, is essential.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
I always keep beach towels in my truck. I use them at least a couple times a week. One of the handiest items to keep around.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts