Survivalist Forum banner

221 - 227 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I have a number of sword's, not sure if I've mentioned them in this thread;

From Cold Steel wall hangers to a WW2 Japanese NCO Sword, to a smaller (yes, over $1k) I had made for my father for Father's day.

I have NO Intention of using them seriously. I own suppressors, and they are much smaller to carry.
No intention of ever using one either. Don't own one... yet. :) There is an 1818 French Officer's sword on Fleabay that keeps calling out to me, lol. Woke up early yesterday and spent 2 hours fantasizing about how I might work it into a Rendezvous re-enactment scenario.

·
Let the Debate begin
6,354 Posts
God only knows, LC... but I love ya brother...... seriously?????

Why bring a knife to a gun fight.

What are we prepping for?

If your house is under water, and your bugging out with the National
Guard disarming people (under Joe Biden), do you really want to shoot
a druggie if you don't have to?

Or... use your imagination. Why would you bug out? Pick one then
decide if you want everyone for miles around knowing you have
a gun.

Here on the eastern Shore of Maryland we have vines with thorns
are very plentiful in our swampy forests. So my sword will be a
pointy Machete that a small brown man made from an old leaf
spring far away. Not much flex in the blade, and its very solid.

Under a Biden Administration you won't want to pull a gun out
and shoot it unless you really have to because only criminals
will be allowed to have guns.

·
comfortably numb
329 Posts
In my opinion, what's more important than how to use a sword,
is choosing the sword itself, and knowing when to use it,
and when to conceal it.
Yup. A sword is definitely a SHTF-level weapon. Katana stays stowed away in storage until if or when SHTF. Never before. If I feel I need to use my katana...then SHTF has happened.

The best use of a sword when we bug out, is as a Machete,
and as a weapon of surprise if possible. The guy with the expensive
Katana in his hand in a City becomes a target for a gang to surround
because he probably has something in his pack worth taking.

The longer and heavier the sword, the more training it requires to use
properly, yet many thousands have died at the hands of men who carry
Machetes, and only knew how to hack with them to make a living.
Yup. Although I'm experienced in the JSA, many of those skills are transferable to a machete. I have "a few" machetes of different styles & sizes. They are the most versatile & utilitarian of edged weapons.

A year ago a case (1,000 rounds) of 9mm or .40 HST'S, or Gold Dots was a couple hundred bux. Ranger P+ .38's was even less.

You anticipate needing more than 1,000 rounds of self defense pistol ammo over the course of your life?!?

Note: I grew up doing martial arts and fenced for 3 years (foil)
I'm just suggesting a continuum-of-force methodology. Sometimes an edged weapon (of whatever size) is more suitable than a gun. It is my opinion that not all self-defense (and property defense) scenarios need to move immediately to brandishing (or even discharging) a gun. That's turning it up to 11 when sometimes it'll stop at 5.

·
comfortably numb
329 Posts
By my bedside, I keep this (among other things):

Yes, it's a Gerber Versafix machete. More of a hybrid style. Whatever you think of Gerber's stuff, this is pretty stout & tough. If you keep a keen edge on it, that is. Handles brush & branches well. Saplings & small trees with effort.

·
Adventurer
870 Posts
Think about how brutal the ammo situation is right now and then imagine what it will be like in a mad Max kind of world......

I say after 7-10 years, only preppers and ammo hoarders will have any ammo at all....... If I’m right then a sword will indeed be a useful defensive/offensive weapon for sure.... Also an intimidating deterrent.

Every prepper who has any imagination should have a spring steel katana or Saber style sword in their armory for just those reasons.

·
comfortably numb
329 Posts
Think about how brutal the ammo situation is right now and then imagine what it will be like in a mad Max kind of world......

I say after 7-10 years, only preppers and ammo hoarders will have any ammo at all....... If I’m right then a sword will indeed be a useful defensive/offensive weapon for sure.... Also an intimidating deterrent.

Every prepper who has any imagination should have a spring steel katana or Saber style sword in their armory for just those reasons.
I think it'll be 3-5 years in regards to ammo. Have at least a stout, high-quality machete...along with other edged weapons. Mr. Katana is still in my closet packed away sharpened & oiled weekly until SHTF. He'll wait there until I need him. Otherwise...

·
Registered
308 Posts
I keep machetes, axes, saws, mauls, sledges, steel rods, and use them all the time, like every day it feels like. They are just cheap garden tools but I feel they would be nearly as effective as a hand made katana. I have one of those marine swords somewhere my wife was gifted from an ex boyfriend. A buddy gave me an African spear, seems like that range would come in more handy than anything. I like a tool I can really beat up and not be afraid to use every day otherwise it's wasting money & space.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

221 - 227 of 227 Posts