Survivalist Forum banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
The hilt is usually where swords that are going to break, break. In this day and age, its really easy to buy high quality steel blanks, and with water cooled stock removable, anyone can make one sword shaped. The real trick is in the hilt, because that takes actual skill in design and craftmanship and where most cheap swords fail. Hint, if you're pommel screws on, its not a real sword but rather a sword shaped object. Oddly, the blade is usually pretty good. I had a side line for a while taking threaded swords, chopping the rat tail tang off, re-grinding them six inches shorter and rebuilding them with a real riveted on pommel for people who discovered their sword was junk but wanted to keep the blade.

Imagine a sword wielded by someone wearing exoskeleton augmentation & support... who decides to crazy out on the street.

Turning him into a nearly tireless blade slinging Conan the Barbarian. Wearing personal body armor. Yikes.

Yep. Good movie.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well, if they do prove to be important, I am well healed.

I have a hand and a half sword
Broad sword
saber
Katana
Wakizashi
Kukri

and

A lion killing spear.

·
He who walks Salish Mts
16 Posts
Celtic short sword 24", close combat, between the legs, thrust or draw left and right. Just below the crotch. Sever both arteries, Like all weapons, one must practice with the weapon. In medieval times the ax was as is today the weapon that can be used by anyone. The sword cost dearly.
One should know the body if you are going to use a blade on it, and just severing the head from the body is not as easy as it sounds, the Katana will take a head, cleanly, a broad sword gets messy.
Katana are made to cut lacquered leather, flesh and bone. European swords are made to cleave through metal, flesh and bone.
The story is that a true Katana, with a true edge can have a silk scarf dropped on it and it will cut the scarf. I have a fourteenth century, copy of the sword in the of Tower of London, made by the Del Tin, from Krupp Steel, the scarf just lays on it. It all comes down to the angle of the edge.
The Europeans do have some nice sabers, and rapiers but the Eastern swords are more all in one.

·
Registered
769 Posts
2) Can you use a sword? Swords are not intuitive to use. They require training and practice. Anyone who has used an axe can press it into service as a weapon of convenience, and they can also be relatively capable.with an axe purpose-built as a weapon. The same is not true of a sword. Will you or have you actually trained in the nuances of using a sword?

3) Would another option not be better suited? There is a lot of real estate on the pie chart of defensive options. It is not a dichotomy between gun and sword. Would another option, like a hammer or knife or estoc be more appropriate for the setting?
You think people who lack the skill to intuitively use a sword could somehow pick up a big, slow, clumsy axe and be more effective with it? The speed of a attack of a good sword is much higher and the slashing and piercing damage caused to flesh and bone by a Katana is tremendous. Once you've taken a big swing with an axe and missed, your next attack will come eons later compared to a sword.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Swords are a stupid choice for weapons in modern times get a bow if anything. Either one takes time to learn so be prepared to invest time into a meaningless skill if you go with a sword.

It should be mentioned that you will probably hurt yourself if you attack someone with a sword and have no idea how to use it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So many condescending comments here, I'm just gonna leave this one alone before i hurt some sceptics feelings on how useful and sword and its subsequent training actually is. Also, as someone who started swinging swords before i ever took a proper training class, unless you are a complete moronic imbecile, it's not hard to become self taught on using a sword in a short time span and well enough to be effective and not hurt yourself.

Though now i would be quicker to draw any number of the walking sticks over my sword as it's currently in serious disrepair thanks to it's previous owner. But i digress, it's not something that many would consider because they believe "gun go bang bang" is a better option than anything else you could possibly ever carry. Mostly because, ya know, everybody else has a gun and nobody will ever have the misfortune of running out of ammo in their combat driven high speed fantasy.

I say buy a sword in the off chance that you may find yourself at a loss for a weapon to fight with, but do not buy some hunk of a wall hanger because it looks cool. Do your research and buy a historically proven design. A good option to start with would be a short sword design much like the Roman Gladius. It is predominantly a thrusting design with the secondary use of hacking at your opponent in close combat. It's size and weight will lend well to conditioning for using larger swords as well as help you understand the spatial awareness between you and the edge when using a sword, but with far more room for error than something like a Katana or Longsword. A secondary option that can be an effective blunt weapon as well as a training tool is the Bokken. I can attest to the painful impact of a Bokken during sparring practice some years ago, busted knuckles and many headaches were a small price to pay for the things i learned.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Swords are a stupid choice for weapons in modern times get a bow if anything. Either one takes time to learn so be prepared to invest time into a meaningless skill if you go with a sword.

It should be mentioned that you will probably hurt yourself if you attack someone with a sword and have no idea how to use it.
My go to is a .38 but i do walk with 25" inches of carbon steel sword cane.
Step 1, thrust.
Step 2, keep thrusting.
For guys it seems a pretty simple concept.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
Have you been watching Forged in Fire?
Watching them hacking up those hog carcasses is a chilling reminder of just how deadly a sword can be.
LOL...this blade will keeeeel...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have noticed that the edged weapon of choice in 3rd world countries is the machete. The first thing I think is "don't bring a knife to a gun fight", duh. The second thing is don't run out of ammo. The third thing is that there is a limit to how much ammo one can carry, especially in the form of loaded magazines. But, somewhere down the line in this scenario I can see needing to draw a knife. OK. Picture that you draw your Bowie, Kukri, Becker or whatever and you are up against a $6 Harbor Freight machete. You have a 7", 10", or even 12" blade. He has a 14" or heaven forbid a 20" Tramontina blade. How confident would you feel? I don't want to be in a "fair fight" where I am just as likely to die as he is. In such a case I would want a sword. But the problem is that I don't want to have to run around with a sword dangling from my hip. So I invented a 2 or 3 piece knife that can be quickly put together and have a sword length blade. I guess I wanted to be immortalized for having invented it, so I considered getting a patent. The "Reno 3 Piece Sword", or whatever. But after checking into it I see that a patent would be way too costly and even then someone could make it in another country. They are a pain to make with a lot of detailed hand work, so I'm not sure that people would be willing to make it worth my while to produce them. I don't want to make them as a "public service". :) I wonder what people would pay for such a weapon?

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,186 Posts
Put a Bayonet mount on your walking stick. Near instant spear to deal with the machete wielder.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Style. Charm..

A sword is probably more effective in a good dual than a short machete or a knife.

Guns removed from the picture, the sword in the hands of one properly trained is deadly. Most focus on Kinjutsu and think that having a wakizashi or Katana is 'da bomb".

In reality proper sword technique not only works with the sword, but all aspects of stance, position, holding, parry, dodge, duck, (*kerswack goes the duck bill)... (inside joke for those of warner bros. cartoons). can in fact save your life.

Case in point:

Years ago I gave to a friend of mine for his bday, a Halberd that was a inheritance from my father's collection. Well two years later his sister who had taken fencing classes and knows very well how to fence very well, was at his house as he had gotten drunk and high over some breakup or whatever his issue was.

He was angry, not in his right mind, and tried to take it out on his sister with the Halberd, trying to impale her. She dodged the thrust due to her fencing training and used a short small pole do deflect the halberd with a fencing move.

It saved her life. He eventually sobered up, apologize and now lives with his mother.

Swords and sword fighting is WWWAAAYYYYYY more than the BS pseudo-kung fu crap that hollywierd pushes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Put a Bayonet mount on your walking stick. Near instant spear to deal with the machete wielder.
Yes, I agree. However I don't normally use a walking stick. I did consider making a sectional spear using short screw together pieces of wood and a Shrade SCHF-1. It seemed like it took too long to put together enough to become an effective weapon. The 2 or 3 piece knife/sword was usable as it was drawn from the scabbard (about equal to a typical knife) and then got better within seconds.

·
comfortably numb
321 Posts
Well, I posted previously in this thread, speaking as a former kenjutsu/iaido instructor. But I'll add this:

A sword is a self-defense tool just like a gun is. Unless you know how to correctly use it & properly maintain it...it won't be much use to you. However, relying only on guns & knives to protect yourself & family is short-sighted & foolish, IMHO. In my mind, a true prepper/"survivalist" would seek to expand their repertoire of self-defense options...including the possibly of a sword.

We live in a time now where there is open & unsubtle talk by the growing Political Left of: gun confiscation/"mandatory buybacks"/national databases of all gun-owners. How many of the candidates in the Democratic Primaries last year campaigned on it? It's coming...BET ON IT. They're not going to do it all at once...but bit-by-bit. They'll go after ammo production & sales first. Then one ban followed by another.

IMHO, you should have another option to defend yourself & family than only relying on guns.

·
Let the Debate begin
6,349 Posts
In my opinion, what's more important than how to use a sword,
is choosing the sword itself, and knowing when to use it,
and when to conceal it.

Probably the most deadly sword in a sword on sword fight
is the Rapier, but its a useless sword to the prepper who
wants to bug out because its so long its very hard to conceal.

When we consider which sword to choose for modern times,
its important we imagine that if our opponent has a sword in
hand that we shoot him. But our number one goal other than
survival should be to appear to not be worth the trouble of
some one attacking, and maintain light and noise discipline.

The best use of a sword when we bug out, is as a Machete,
and as a weapon of surprise if possible. The guy with the expensive
Katana in his hand in a City becomes a target for a gang to surround
because he probably has something in his pack worth taking.

The longer and heavier the sword, the more training it requires to use
properly, yet many thousands have died at the hands of men who carry
Machetes, and only knew how to hack with them to make a living.

This is the size sword the average man should have, but to use for defense
he should also be able to stab with it, and it should be stout enough to
hit bone and not break. There should be no guard, and no Pommel or they
should be minimal because they are not needed, since the most important
aspects are weight and concealment.

The people that we, (as preppers) will be fighting in the first days of a SHTF
situation are not other preppers. They are not law enforcement. They are not
honorable discharged Vets. They are not trained swordsman.

The people we need to prep for in my small city are druggies, people in gangs,
Mentally ill people, and people who lived paycheck to paycheck or were on parole.
In my city there will be plenty of soft target retired Liberals for them to prey on
while I bug out quickly and quietly if I decide I have to bug out at all.
Your situation and sword will probably be different.

If your sword is vastly different, than yes you should take a class on how to use
that thousand dollar sword so that some guy with a bat doesn't take it from you.

·
Registered
34,329 Posts
Well, I posted previously in this thread, speaking as a former kenjutsu/iaido instructor. But I'll add this:

A sword is a self-defense tool just like a gun is. Unless you know how to correctly use it & properly maintain it...it won't be much use to you. However, relying only on guns & knives to protect yourself & family is short-sighted & foolish, IMHO. In my mind, a true prepper/"survivalist" would seek to expand their repertoire of self-defense options...including the possibly of a sword.

We live in a time now where there is open & unsubtle talk by the growing Political Left of: gun confiscation/"mandatory buybacks"/national databases of all gun-owners. How many of the candidates in the Democratic Primaries last year campaigned on it? It's coming...BET ON IT. They're not going to do it all at once...but bit-by-bit. They'll go after ammo production & sales first. Then one ban followed by another.

IMHO, you should have another option to defend yourself & family than only relying on guns.
A year ago a case (1,000 rounds) of 9mm or .40 HST'S, or Gold Dots was a couple hundred bux. Ranger P+ .38's was even less.

You anticipate needing more than 1,000 rounds of self defense pistol ammo over the course of your life?!?

Note: I grew up doing martial arts and fenced for 3 years (foil)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
A year ago a case (1,000 rounds) of 9mm or .40 HST'S, or Gold Dots was a couple hundred bux. Ranger P+ .38's was even less.

You anticipate needing more than 1,000 rounds of self defense pistol ammo over the course of your life?!?

Note: I grew up doing martial arts and fenced for 3 years (foil)
In that vein, a good quality sword will run between $120-1500 and some exceeding 3-5K.

Regardless though the sword does not need to be reloaded, is silent, and requires certain maintenance that can be done with simple tools and supplies.

The popular aspect again is the use of Samurai Swords as it has been pushed by hollywierd. But high quality swords and very effective swords do not need to be fancy nor elite.

Enough people have died from their use and learning is something that at least for now doesn't require a permit.

·
Registered
34,329 Posts
I have a number of sword's, not sure if I've mentioned them in this thread;

From Cold Steel wall hangers to a WW2 Japanese NCO Sword, to a smaller (yes, over $1k) I had made for my father for Father's day.

I have NO Intention of using them seriously. I own suppressors, and they are much smaller to carry.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I don’t believe long swords and katana blades would be useful until much later in a SHTF event. Just my opinion in this hypothetical
I believe that the smaller blades could prove very useful. The good Ol machete styles are super useful and very multipurpose. Machetes, brush axes, and billhooks have multiple uses. Maybe melee weapons were modified from a common used tool like the hatchet or tomahawk.
The blade that many people use to cut rope, skin a deer, cut open cereal bag or clean out their dirty nails are used when needed as a melee weapon as well.

201 - 219 of 219 Posts