Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming food is getting low, are rats safe to eat if they are propperly cooked? What if they have been feeding on dead corpses?

·
coffee enthusiast
218 Posts
I know that it is usually advisable to capture possums live then feed them buttermilk bread, fresh fruit, etc for several days to purge their system of all the S***T they eat before eating them. I would think that a rat's diet would be largely the same, if not worse...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes but any food would have already be eaten, and what does it matter what food they have in thier system if you just gut them anyway?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I saw a documentry on the excess lifestyle of the romans & it said that no feast was complete without a bowl of rats (I forget how it was cooked) for the guests to dine on.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Rats

Assuming food is getting low, are rats safe to eat if they are propperly cooked? What if they have been feeding on dead corpses?
Nope,
Remember it it was RATS that were bitten by fleas that carried the Bubonic Plaque, Took out a chunk of the Civilized Worlds population. And they still are carriers of some very nasty diseases. I know they eat them in China and other countries. And some day the rats will get their revenge. :D:

·
coffee enthusiast
218 Posts
Yes but any food would have already be eaten, and what does it matter what food they have in thier system if you just gut them anyway?
It is because possums, like rats, are scavengers and may have consumed rotten food, or other items such as animal carcasses, etc. Trapping and feeding allows any harmful germs or parasites, which may be in their system to be cleaned out, and also to "fatten up" the animal. If you feed it fresh fruit, etc. the meat will taste much much better. Would you rather eat an animal that has been eating trash, **** and carrion for two weeks, or one that has been eating strawberries and apple cores, etc.?? If you could spare it, why risk illness???

·
Indefatigable
21,096 Posts
Lived in NYC for a while and I was always curious about those who survived by living UNDER manhattan. Rats are called track rabbit there. The tunnel people eat them with no ill effects that I heard of. During SHTF I would consider domestically raised rats a viable food source.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would consider it if there was absolutely nothing else. But I've known of people eating opossum and raccoon and they can't be all that much cleaner.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
You are making a fundamental mistake. There are several species of rats. You are probably thinking of the Norway rat, the large dark one usually found in cities. Locally we have field rats that eat a wholesome grain diet.

Eating rat is no poblem as long as they have been fed well. The only concern I would have about really ratty rats is fleas. Fleas are the vector for the plague.

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
But the question was in a controled environment raising rats for food .
if the conditions for raising them were clean boilogiclly yes they would provide a good protene food source .Any wild animal has the potential of flees and desease .
However , if you are feeding the rats and giving them a regular dose of garlic you will have no flea issues .
You'd gut and clean the same as a rabbit . and because they multiply so easily and eat anything you give them ,any grain stalks weeds or such provide all the food they need to grow . What ever you don't eat they will.I'd raise them like rabbits in individual cages or seperations and not a lot of room , takes longer to fatten if they get excersize.
Number them , don't name them.
Track your breeders and their offspring , but don't get emotionally attached .
Just like any other animal , most animals taste best eating grains and fruit, animals that feed on animals taste very strong .
This is just my opinion .

1 - 20 of 81 Posts