Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally think that the 1911 firearm is the most beautiful hand gun ever made. However I don’t think I will ever by one; the reason being I am not able to justify the price of a quality 1911 from a reputed brand, when I can get an equally reliable, well-made handgun for much cheaper. I dont think the chevy vs caddy arguement works here considering you can get a gun of the same quality for much less than a 1911.

So do you think 1911’s from reputed brands are overpriced? What justifies the extra price (apart from the cool factor, for which my freudian self is trying to talk me into getting one)?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Define reputed brands? I just bought a Rock Island Tactical for $499. I couldn't see anything about the more expensive brands like Kimber that made me feel they were better made. In fact, I found that most seemed inferior. Rock Island makes to mil-spec... which is what John Browning designed. I may be a mile off... but I think the RIA 1911 is equal or better than many of the more expensive brands.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I have a Kimber that I bought simply because I wanted one. It is well put together and very nice to show off but there are others that will shoot just as well as the high end ones. For Christmass a few years ago I recieved a Colt 1911 made in 1927, yes 1927, that is just as cool and pretty as my Kimber. You can tell it isnt new but it still functions and shoots well. ( I love bragging about that pistol as you can see )

I think a lot of the problems you hear about stem from going too far out of Mil-Spec on 1911's.
They may look Super Uber cool but the add ons arent needed.

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
yes, they are. every single one of them.......i sell them, and i still think my dealer price is to high. to much nostalgia involved with them, and the companies that make and sell them know it. people really only buy the things for 1 reason, because they are a 1911. you can get a modern 45 that holds 3 times the ammo and does not have any of that junk hanging off the outside, and will be just as reliable, if not more, for 1 third to 1 quarter the price, but they don't look as cool. i recently had a guy in here that has a 250,000 dollar 1911 collection.......HE DOESNT EVEN KNOW HOW TO LOAD THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
crustulum latro
7,715 Posts
I don't much care for kimber as they are way over priced.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ya i agree to. The best 1911 ive owned was a taurus. Smooth and shot good. Maybe with every thing i had done to it i had about 600 in it. Thats trigger work and polished feed ramp and dura coated.

·
The Westerner
571 Posts
Ya i agree to. The best 1911 ive owned was a taurus. Smooth and shot good. Maybe with every thing i had done to it i had about 600 in it. Thats trigger work and polished feed ramp and dura coated.
I have sixteen 1911 pistols, twelve of them are Colts. nine are series 70's and three are series 80's. I got that many because I kept running into good deals that were to good to pass up.

The 1911 that I really like is a Springfield Armory "OPERATOR" model 1911. It wasn't exactly the cheapest though. At the time I bought it I paid a little over $1300.00 for it. That was over five years ago. The last price I saw an operator go for was $1670.00 before tax and license.

However, If I were to take a less expensive 1911 and added the extras to it, that the Operator model had already, I would have been in to it for $2000.00 at that time.

Do I think the Bear and the Brown 1911's are worth what they cost? Probably they are, because of the amount of hand fitting and tuning these two firms put into their custom guns.

I have two Paraordinance 1911's, a P-14 and a P-13, that Jim Hoag has worked his considerable skills on too.

Would I buy a 1911 made by Bear or Brown? Not now anyway, because my three, eighty series and eight of my nine 70 series 1911's, have had Jim Hoag massage them.

I had Jim Hoag, a close friend by the way, do his complete package on all of these. If you don't know who Jim Hoag is, go to 1911 dot com and do a search on his name. The last time I did, there were over 150 hits on his name.

A good, run of the mill 1911, will cost around $700.00 out the door. Then because of the 1911's poor sights and good set of Bomar sights, installed, will cost a minium of $250.00.

Then, there is checkering the front and back straps, which will be another $250.00, or there about.

I have grasping grooves milled into the sides of the slide just below the front sight, which is another $75.00 or so.

An eighty series skeletanized hammer, fit to the 1911, will cost about $75.00 now.

The upswept grip safety is another $100.00, after it is fit to the firearm.

Properly fittinng the slide to the frame, the link and pin, throating (ramping) the frame for all types (SWC) ammunition is another $200.00 to have it done properly.

Fitting an extended magazine guide to the frame will be another $150.00.

An ambidextrious safety will be $75.00 plus fitting it to the firearm

Now we're at $2000.00, So, doing everything to a standard pistol, that the custom factory pistols have done to them, can run into some serious dollars.

I like original Colt Gold Cup checkered grips. Those will set you back another hundred dollars, IF, you can find them.

Bears and Browns guns, might just be a pretty good bargain, when everything is ground into the equation.

Would I buy an inexpensive 1911... NO...! The least expensive 1911 I would buy, would be a SA 1911. But then I have been using 1911 pistols since 1950.

Bill

·
Registered
384 Posts
"Worth the price" is a matter of opinion.

To me, yes, my "high end" Kimber is worth it. I have many nice pistols that I enjoy, and others not so much. I have nice 1911s I paid 500-600 that are nice, but none compare to my Kimber in fit finish accuracy reliability durability and just plain "coolness".

My Glock was not worth the money I spent on it. Why? Because I personally dislike it and it sits on a shelf collecting dust.

As I said, personal opinion.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Im gonna buy that new ruger 1911 its $800 and got good reviews, i just want one to have one they are not practical other then that tho, too heavy, small mag cap etc. But still neat!

·
The Westerner
571 Posts
Im gonna buy that new ruger 1911 its $800 and got good reviews, i just want one to have one they are not practical other then that tho, too heavy, small mag cap etc. But still neat!
I hope it is a good one. After you get it, post here and tell us how it works for you.

Bill

·
Registered
166 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the Rock Island Arms or Taurus 1911's. I've had a Taurus and it looked and shot as well as the Kimber, Springfield Armory or Colt I have owned in the past.
I know a couple of guys who own RIAs and have shot them both. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one today if I had the money.

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
Guns are like cars, people pay for what they percieve to be value.
Would I spend 1500-3000 on a 1911? No, probably not... and I love my 1911's! But I'm a cheap bastidge with five kids to feed. YMMV! (your mouths may vary ;) )
I also think the RIA's are a great deal, and own one. There is truth to being able to get a more capable pistol for less though. I regularly carry an XD45 tactical (which gained me a rail and 13+1 capacity over my 1911's), and I got it on sale at Centerfire for $420 last year...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I personally think that the 1911 firearm is the most beautiful hand gun ever made. However I don’t think I will ever by one; the reason being I am not able to justify the price of a quality 1911 from a reputed brand, when I can get an equally reliable, well-made handgun for much cheaper. I dont think the chevy vs caddy arguement works here considering you can get a gun of the same quality for much less than a 1911.

So do you think 1911’s from reputed brands are overpriced? What justifies the extra price (apart from the cool factor, for which my freudian self is trying to talk me into getting one)?
Yes they are overpriced. Along with sig, h&k, most thing tactical :eek::thumb:

·
crustulum latro
7,715 Posts
My preference is for a Glock and second to that Sig.
I like the 1911 but the rake angle is wrong for my hand. I find that most folks who have a distaste for a Glock or any given quality firearm is because it "doesn't feel right"

While the rake is wrong for me on a 1911, I keep several of them for one reason only. The millions of parts for them out there.

2,302 Posts
I'd rather have 4 Glocks for the $2,000. personally.
This is a survival site. If I were into competitive shooting maybe my opinion might be different. I'm not.

Lets see.... $2,000. = (aproximately)Glock 20(don't have a 10mm and everybody needs one right?),
Glock 26(just got one today would like another for a spare "2 is one and 1 is none" I even have the wife believing that now!),
Glock 22 (don't have a .40 and should be able to utilize what my local police also use....which means...I'd only have one .40 and that is another problem.),
maybe a Glock 29 (2nd 10mm cuzz I don't like to buy ammo for only one gun).
I'm not trying to hyjack the thread. When asked if I think a high end 1911 is worth the money I have to consider what I could buy with the same money. This is assuming the money IS going to be used to buy guns. Since I now own 4 Glocks I probably would not buy 4 more at this time. The money would be better spent on other things like a CostCo freeze dried food package....and a solar charging setup for my 2 deep cycle pallet jack batteries that I salvaged :).....and Ok one more gun just because I deserve it.
If you absolutely have everything you think you need or might need.... buy the damned $2,000. 1911.
I doubt I will ever be there because I have a bunch kids too.

·
Banned
6,146 Posts
seems to me if they're selling in a free market they're not overpriced

US Market is mostly free. The requirment to go through a FFL in gereral has skewed all prices up and there is some upward pressure over what the Obunga Regeim may or may not do

Since willing buyers and sellers are making a fairly steady flow of transactions I'd say 1911's aren't over priced. They may be higher priced than your perceived value.

That said I wish there was a plain jane 1911 that could be had at right around $300

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Define reputed brands? I just bought a Rock Island Tactical for $499. I couldn't see anything about the more expensive brands like Kimber that made me feel they were better made. In fact, I found that most seemed inferior. Rock Island makes to mil-spec... which is what John Browning designed. I may be a mile off... but I think the RIA 1911 is equal or better than many of the more expensive brands.
Thanks for the info. I had dismissed Philippine guns as subpar; I saw a review of one on YouTube (I think by Hickok45, if I remember correctly), its sights needed to be filled down and the trigger left a lot to be desired.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,580 Posts
Yes they are. But they are not nearly as easy to manufacture as more modern designs that were optimized for lower production costs. Then comes the amount of hand fitting and tuning required on high end models. It's just one of the downsides of the design. It's totally worth it in my opinion though. I shoot better with a 1911 than any other pistol platform, so for me, it's the right gun.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts