Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for info on this and can't seem to find any size or thread info...

basically, in a pinch how easy is it to use a portable tank on a home oven?

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you live in the city your home oven is most likely natural gas. The oriface (jet) for the burners is a different size for natural gas than for propane. I believe new stoves usually come with both sets so you can switch them. If your oven is already set up for propane, then there is no problem. You can use the small bottle with it.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
It's one of those things you're going to have to work out a head of time. Most stoves are hard plumbed to a propane tank you would need to disconnect the stove and have the plumbing to connect your tank to the stove.

If you're using natural gas, it would be way easier to buy a $30 campstove and $40 coleman oven and adapt that to a 20lb tank.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Just buy a camp stove

·
Banned
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Camp stoves do not have ovens, and I like to first work with what I have, as well as exercising ALL options.
I have two camp stoves, I was just looking for other info.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well once awhile back my wife forgot to order more propane. We have a 500 gallon tank so we dont have to fill it often. Of course the propane tank empties on a friday night with out anyone knowing it. So Saturday morning I jump out of bed and get in the shower. NO HOT frigging WATER! I go out and check the tank (dressed of course). EMPTY. A bit frustrated I call the propane company and get a recording, of course. So I go out and unscrew my 5 gallon propane tank off of my BBQ and take it out to the 500 gallon tank. I grab my semi enclosed 3/4" wrench and remove the line from my 500 gallon tank to my house and screw it into my 5 gallon propane bottle. The regulator is still inline and I go back in and re-light my water heater. 1/2 hour or so later and I have nice HOT water again. As everyone else has mentioned it will only work if your system is propane. Just thought I would mention that like everyone else........ That also provided propagne to our stove/oven as well as some heaters. In fact I believe we went all weekend on that 5 gallon tank.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's one of those things you're going to have to work out a head of time. Most stoves are hard plumbed to a propane tank you would need to disconnect the stove and have the plumbing to connect your tank to the stove.

If you're using natural gas, it would be way easier to buy a $30 campstove and $40 coleman oven and adapt that to a 20lb tank.

Beware of carbonmonixde.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If it doesn't produce excessive Carbon Monoxide as it is installed, how would converting it change this?

It is the difference between LP(natural) and Propane and their combustion properties?
I think he was talking about using the camp stove inside. But then again, if it was a propane camp stove I don't see where it would make much difference.

·
Banned
9,119 Posts
the propane stove in my house works off a 20 lb propane bottle.
lp gas and propane are the same thing, different names. liquid petroleum IS propane.
the regulator from your barbeque will work fine for anything up to 6000 btu's.

you MUSt have a regulator.
so, yes, you can use your propane bottle on your indoor propane stove.

·
6,686 Posts
Reactions: Dirt Fisher

·
6,686 Posts
the propane stove in my house works off a 20 lb propane bottle.
lp gas and propane are the same thing, different names. liquid petroleum IS propane.
the regulator from your barbeque will work fine for anything up to 6000 btu's.

you MUSt have a regulator.
so, yes, you can use your propane bottle on your indoor propane stove.
Go back to school.

Follow his advice and you'll end up on fire, and being on fire sucks, just ask Richard Pryor.....

Natural gas is methane (CH4), methane is lighter than air and cannot be liquified under pressure at room temperature.

LP gas is Propane (C3H8), propane is heavier than air and can be liquified under pressure at room temperature.

Liquid natural gas is CNG (compressed natural gas) or LNG (Liquefied natural gas)

The properties of the gasses will force you to make modifications in the appliance you use to burn them.

·
Banned
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Go back to school.

Follow his advice and you'll end up on fire, and being on fire sucks, just ask Richard Pryor.....

Natural gas is methane (CH4), methane is lighter than air and cannot be liquified under pressure at room temperature.

LP gas is Propane (C3H8), propane is heavier than air and can be liquified under pressure at room temperature.

Liquid natural gas is CNG (compressed natural gas) or LNG (Liquefied natural gas)

The properties of the gasses will force you to make modifications in the appliance you use to burn them.
yeah, i looked that up, i was having some doubts when I found out that there were different regulators, and wondered why.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts