Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Wanderer
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 5 or 6 years I have noticed a great decrease in the number of people out on weekends. First thought is prices of things have got people staying in but it began long before that at least around here.

Into my early 20's it was not uncommon to go out on a week night and see people every where and find 20+ people from 18 to 25 hanging out some where. Talking and having fun doing what ever. On week ends it was 10X that.

Then some where around 2002/2003 the numbers fell off greatly. No one was to be found at all on week nights hanging out and on week end you were luck to find 20 people any where. At this point I had stopped going into town to hang out due to working odd hours and strange days. I would go to town to get food, gas, and other things I might need and noticed that there was no groups hanging out any where. Parking lots of local businesses also had less traffic including restaraunts.

Fast forward to 2008 if I go to town on a weekend now after 8 it is a shell of what it used to be and if I go after 9:30/10 it is a ghost town. Might have 1 or 2 people at McNasties, 10 or so at Taco Hell, a good 20 or 30 cars at Chinamart, and a handful of cars at the Theater. Most of these people I have noticed are in there late 20's to early 40's. Up until 2002 you had so many people in town you couldn't turn around with out waiting in line.

I have asked around alot of people younger to older. The answers very from the cops won't leave us alone to I would rather stay at home. Most of the younger people to the mid 30's crowd say the cops are to thick and like to harass them. The older people I have talked to say they would rather stay home and watch TV. I have also heard from the younger crowd I can find more important stuff to do on the internet.

Now I don't know about most of you, or how you were raised, or your communities, but around here till as of late once you started driving you went to town found your friends hung out goofed off and maybe cruised a little. The cops would bother us a little but nothing that would scare us off even if a little harassing. The people of the 35-60 age bracket of the time would be at a local restaurant maybe at the movies always people bustling about. Now its a ghost towns every where I go. Big or small doesn't matter there is no one to be found.

So what has your observations for your area been?

D.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Well I grew up in Ft Lauderdale Florida it was a wild beach town with thousands of people year round. We had the beach parking lot which was a large two level on a slope with a county park right on the beach. We would sit on the trunk of our car and hot rods would cruise by chicks would hang out it was very cool. We did raise some hell we drag raced not in the park but at North beach a couple of miles away. We drank some beer and maybe picked up some girls. Mostly it was a show of your car my gold metal flake 55 Chevy was well cool and some people had newer iron and it was about all we thought of except girls. then along came the cops and shut it all down and soon after cruising was outlawed then they ran off the Spring Break crowd. I think that is what you are seeing people don't want some cop after them. I think it was easier to have them all in one place.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Back in the day late 70's, we would park in a grocery store parking alot to the wee hours of the morning, many many times, the cops would pull in and hang out for an hour or so. This was in a small Ontario town population 5000 at the time. Don't know what it is like now, but know that here in the city Toronto, cops are after guys hanging around, and lots of harassment for the younger guys driving the tuned up Honda's etc. Cops even go to the local car shows and harass the guys. I guess there is not enough crime to go and fight curb and control.

·
Mother of One.
234 Posts
In my area everyone has house parties.

I think this is also partially because the area is confined to having one music store in town that has a coffee shop, Applebees, and the dreaded Wall-Mart. Otherwise, there's a couple of bars, but they're usually full of the 40-60's crowd, and they're actually pretty crappy bars. (To give you an example: one has a saddle covered in sequins hanging from the ceiling as if it's a suitable alternative to a disco ball.)

But, yeah, I think one thing is that more people are moving their hang-outs from public to private. It's not that they're not hanging out, it's just at "home" rather than at restaurants. I doubt it's because they're afraid, but more like they just want to be able to do what they want to do without being hassled. And in the case of my area, there's just more to do at someone's house (video games and music among other various activities... let your imagination go with that) rather than at a restaurant (where you are limited basically to eating, and talking).

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
scared of spending their ever dwindling suplies of cash. Unless of course youre one of the upper 5% that makes over 150 grand a year

Reactions: Irishwarlord

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
When I was y9oung, I used to go to evan's field. It was wall to wall cars, and crowded with people form early morning, to way after dark.

If you go to that same forest preserve now, it's empty even during mid afternoon on a saturday, unless a group has preregistered.

I can understand all the people my age not hanging out, drinking beer and playing frizbee, soft ball or girl watching, but why hasn't the new generation continued the trend? where are all the young 15-25 yearolds? and why don't they hang out at the woods like we did?

·
Wanderer
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Royal Dragon, I agree with you on this one its not likely I am gonna go hang out any more but why isn't the younger generation doing it.

D.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I don't like going out anymore. Everyone where I live breaks up into little cliques and are unfriendly to outsiders. I just feel like a stranger in a strange land. Maybe I'm just a misanthrope.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The town of Seymour Indiana was a cool hang out in the 80s, But they closed most of the parling lots and put out a curfew so 11 PM it turns into a ghost town,

·
Registered
501 Posts
Maybe the young men are too wrapped up in their Halo and Warcraft to go out, and the young women's only need for social interaction is a cell phone with text messaging.
*drool* HALO....I love that game and have spent oodles of hours playing....as has my husband.....hmmm.....:D:

WARCRAFT is awesome too.....

Besides, my thumbs hurt from texting too much on my cell phone....I'd rather play HALO.....:upsidedown:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've noticed as well over a period of time. Back in the 80's cruisin' n boozin was the thing to do. The cops were great with all of us kids. We would play football on the schools front lawn on the main drag in town. There was never any trouble with the law. Times have changed and the law isn't as tolerant and fun?? as they used to be. They used to be really cool and joke around with all the kids. They are all business today... big business (prisons, fines, ect..) They have the police come in the schools with their dogs, they search lockers and back packs and they discourage kids from gathering in large groups. It would really suck to be a teenager today. Oh, and this is a small town.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Because we're all online!

Okay, that's not true. We decided to have an end of the world party this weekend at our local tavern. One person figured that if one particluar person gets elected then the world will end. The rest of us decided that it's a good time to have a big party. Our local bar has a big screen TV and a DVD/VCR player. Since this morning and on to Sunday night we are showing only end of the world movies and TV shows.

I'm heading back after I get my deer into the freezer and clean myself up. People still go out and have fun. You just have to know where.

Tury

·
Registered
497 Posts
Maybe the young men are too wrapped up in their Halo and Warcraft to go out, and the young women's only need for social interaction is a cell phone with text messaging.
Dead on :thumb: WOW and Halo have taken our children not to mention cell phones and cable. Sheeple unite if you can find your way out of the house. My eldest drives me nuts but she's the Halo, WOW playing crazy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i am 51 yrs old and have twin 21 yr old sons . just last night as a perfect example, there were 4, 21 yr olds here, each with their own laptop playing wow.

i have asked them, 'why dont you guys go out and try not to get in trouble?' their answer is the same as above.

different world. mostly the net and the law. around here.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
ray-maria said:
I am 43 playing those games, I better get out and cruise the strip HAHAHAH
I am 40 and play WOW, I used to play Halo but stunk at it. I also used to cruise up and down the highway in my beater '69 Tempest (that I told everyone was really a GTO ;)), but outgrew it.

From what I have seen of the GEN-A.D.D. out in the world, they have no interest in face-to-face communications with other members of the human race.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
but why isn't the younger generation doing it.

D.
I'll tell you why .......... "lazyness"

when I was younger we were always on the go, we always were outside......nowadays......kids get it spoon fed to them so they have no thrive to get out. warm house, bigscreen tv, movies, tv shows and video games.

·
Facin' Long,Personal SHTF
549 Posts
You really wanna know why us 'youngsters' aren't out there cruisin', and doing all the things you guys used to do that was really cool?

In my area, it's mostly retirees, elderly and the 'little old ladies' under the pretext of "Neighborhood Watch!" that sit in their houses and ENDLESSLY call the police about ANYthing and EVERYthing, from the neighbors' lawn is too long, to a broken window that they just saw get broken in an accident ten minutes ago being reported as "not repaired for weeks, it's a drug house, they have crazies coming & going all hours of the day & night, etc.", to calling 911 every twenty minutes about the kids on the corner talking, who of course are really "selling drugs and plotting robberies" out there, and not actually just hanging out. Bitter old biddies who claim to love freedom, but who are actually made quite uncomfortable by the sight of someone else enjoying their freedom. People whose lives revolve around filing complaints.

Also, in the late 70's/early 80's, as I recall, there wasn't the big hullaballoo about drugs that developed toward the end of the 80's; I'm willing to bet that those cops back then wouldn't have freaked out about finding a joint in the ashtray or something, whereas now, they'll make SURE that something like this would ruin your life.

EDIT: Why the bit about drugs, you ask? Simple -- when all the drive-ins and parking lots got closed, when cruising became outlawed, when curfew violations became actual criminal offenses, when cops ran out of actual crimes to police, when "Neighborhood Watch" gave legitimacy to the insane ravings of the shrewish shut-in that every neighborhood has, etc. etc., WHAT DO YOU THINK YOUNG PEOPLE WILL DO?! They're not just going to go away, you know! When you take away all the best things that young people really used to enjoy in generations past, what do you really expect?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts