Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And if so, how? I just saw a thread on arfcom where the Mag-pul rep posted that the gen3's are supposed to be a little better in extreme cold, but said that meant they were rated down to 60 below, rather than just 30 below, so, big deal, that's irrelevant for the vast majority.
I've also read that the mag body is designed to prevent "over insertion", but I haven't experienced or read that this was a major issue.
I'm wondering because buying a couple at a time, it's easier to find gen2 Pmags locally (and avoiding shipping which really jacks-up the individual cost when not buying in bulk).
I have a few gen2's but was wondering if there's a substantive advantage to chasing down the new gen3's instead of the gen2's.
And while I (presumably:D:) have your attention, who currently would have the best deal on a very small load of gen3's, factoring in shipping?

edit: YOWZAH!!! I just called two local operations, and they're asking $15 and $21, +tax, for the windowless gen3's, which makes ordering just a couple going to be cheaper on-line.
I believe the first place has gen2's for about $11, which is cheaper than the total on-line (incl.shipping) prices I've found.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
The only improvement I have noticed is that without the huge bottom that the Gen2's have the Gen 3's fit better into mag pouches.

I recently ordered 14 Gen3's for $142.80 shipped to my door ($10.20 each in quantity of 13 or more).
But it's from a company many people say they won't deal with even though I've not had a problem yet, Botach.

9 or more Gen2's are $9.30 each.

40 rounders are $14.99 in quantity of 6 or more.

AIM is $14.20 shipped for Gen3 30's.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Israel, I'd forgotten all about AIM and their free-shipping on Mag-pul stuff. :thumb:

Edit: After some more Googling, I found a 2-year old thread on arfcom, where the Mag-pul rep posted the following:

As per our website:

PMAG® 30 AR/M4 GEN M3, 5.56x45 Magazine

The next-generation PMAG 30 GEN M3 is a 30-round 5.56x45 NATO (.223 Remington) polymer magazine for AR15/M4 compatible weapons. Along with expanded feature set and compatibility, the GEN M3 incorporates new material technology and manufacturing processes for enhanced strength, durability, and reliability to exceed rigorous military performance specifications.

Modified internal and external geometry also permits operation with a wide range of non Colt-spec platforms such as the HK® 416 and MR556A1, M27 IAR, British SA-80, FN® SCAR™ MK 16/16S, and others. A redesigned bolt catch notch in the rear of the magazine provides increased bolt catch clearance, while an over-travel stop on the spine helps ensure the magazine will not over-insert on compatible weapons.

Similar to the MOE PMAG, the GEN M3 features a long-life stainless steel spring, four-way anti-tilt follower and constant-curve internal geometry for reliable feeding, and simple tool-less disassembly to ease cleaning. In addition, an included pop-off Impact/Dust Cover can optionally be used to minimize debris intrusion and protect against potential damage during storage and transit. Low profile ribs and new aggressive front and rear texture gives positive control of the GEN M3 in all environments, and a paint pen dot matrix has been added to the bottom panel of the body to allow easy marking by the end user for identification. The new, easy to disassemble flared floorplate aids extraction and handling of the magazine while providing improved drop protection, but is slightly slimmer than before for better compatibility with tight double and triple magazine pouches.

JUSTIN BEARD
Sales and Service Manager
Magpul Industries Corp.
1-877-4MAGPUL

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
DSG arms is where I get my mags.

10 gen 2 non-windows are $99.99
Same, I've gotten them for 89.99 with free shipping when they have sales. Just have to be ready to pull the trigger when they do.

As for the Gen 3s Pmags, they seem to be too similar for me to find value in paying 50% more for them (for my AR, if you use one of the firearms they listed for better compatibility YMMV). In viewing mags as consumable products I don't think you can get any more cost effective than Gen 2 Pmags. The Gen 3 is more of a marketing thing like Apple bringing out a new iPhone every year. There usually isn't a substantial feature upgrade, it's more for the fanboys.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
I like Gen 2 better. I did a drop test wit the Gen 3 PMAG from 5.5 feet on the feed-lips with loaded mag just like how Magpul did. The mag was frozen to around 10-15*F. It shattered down the back side and spit rounds everywhere on the 2nd drop.

The HK magazine I tested, I dropped multiple times to no ill effect, interestingly.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,861 Posts
The only improvement I have noticed is that without the huge bottom that the Gen2's have the Gen 3's fit better into mag pouches.

I recently ordered 14 Gen3's for $142.80 shipped to my door ($10.20 each in quantity of 13 or more).
But it's from a company many people say they won't deal with even though I've not had a problem yet, Botach.

9 or more Gen2's are $9.30 each.

40 rounders are $14.99 in quantity of 6 or more.

AIM is $14.20 shipped for Gen3 30's.
Have you used the 40 rounders much? Have you had any feed issues?

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Have you used the 40 rounders much? Have you had any feed issues?
Not really, I just bought 6 a couple weeks ago but we've been hitting wind chills of -15 to -20 and I decided I can relax my weekly practices for a bit as I like to keep my fingers from falling off.
:)

I've run two of them once each just to try them, these two times they worked fine with zero problems but this is all the experience I have with them.

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
I would much rather run the 40rd PMAG's than the 60+ rd Surefire mags. This coming from a Surefire whore/Magpul neutral guy...
I love Surefire flashlights but don't trust those coffin mags. I love me some Magpul. The Pmags are great magazines and the PRS stock I have on my MK12 is magic.

I really want a reliable drum for the AR-15 though. Hopefully magpuls drum they are developing is gtg.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
To me they are worse in sense of fit: gen 2 fit better, less slop. I don't use them, unless there is no choice, like .308 25 rounders only made in 3g.

·
Banned
1,931 Posts
only diff ive seen is the gen3 is slightly easier to break down. Other than that, dont see much difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts