Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Odd that people say CB isn't used anymore. I see a lot of 4x4 trucks with antennae here. Mostly they are loggers or other guys that spend a great deal of time up in the GPNF or the tree farms. Must be one of those "location, location, location" things.
My thoughts exactly. I work construction and we use CBs all the time to coordinate trucks. Lots of radio chatter up and down I-80 as well. Citizen band is far from dead in my area.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I’ve been running a 40ch SSB base unit w/40’ high ground plane antenna since about March. There is zero trucker activity, I’m west of Detroit near two major highways. I talk to a few bases locally and can monitor 900-1,000 miles when conditions are right.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,662 Posts
HOA’s that dont allow antennas cant see in the dark…pc of pvc and your antenna can be set against the back wall ea night…those people are usually either karens or dim/libs…figuring a way around that sort is fun..jmo

·
Padre in the woods
2,785 Posts
HOA’s that dont allow antennas cant see in the dark…pc of pvc and your antenna can be set against the back wall ea night…those people are usually either karens or dim/libs…figuring a way around that sort is fun..jmo
If they allow a flag pole, a Lowes flagpole kit makes a nice vertical antenna.

Optionally, a fellow over in one of the HOA communities used aluminum and vinyl gutter to make a nice dipole for HF/CB.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,662 Posts
I put a Big Stick in the top of a pine tree once, I really dont know why….45 ft or so out of the top I guess…anyway, it worked pretty good after I checked reflective and had to get the tip higher out of the top…Big Sticks are bright white and if you were looking for it, youd see it..Scotch Pine, all gnarly and limby..Casual glacing wouldnt see it..just have to watch the swr w a pine….Dont know about anything else…jmo

·
Padre in the woods
2,785 Posts
if you can pull it up into a tree, stealth!
Agreed. What you do there is have a small bird feeder on a pipe. The transmission line goes up the center of the pipe, and then to an insulator, which feeds a wire like #8 insulated (use dark green if they have it). Attach it high enough for the lowest frequency. Then off you go to Lowes and get some of the Camo paint. Here's the numbers.
  • Rust-Oleum, Army Green, p/n: 1920830 [UPC: 2006619208 ] (12 oz. Spray). $4.99
  • Rust-Oleum, Black, p/n: 1916830 [UPC: 2006619168 ] (12 oz. Spray). $4.99
  • Rust-Oleum, Earth Brown, p/n: 1918830 [UPC: 2006619188 ] (12 oz. Spray). $4.99
  • Rust-Oleum, Deep Forest Green, p/n: 1919830 [UPC: 2006619198 ] (12 oz. Spray). $4.99
  • Rust-Oleum, Khaki, p/n: 1917830 [UPC:2006619178 ] (12 oz. Spray). $4.99
Do the wire in basic green then add your other 4 for highlights. If it's a few feet off the tree, that's fine. It should blend in, and you can tell anyone who sees it that it's there to keep the damn squirrels from pulling the feeder over. As long as your electrical connections are hidden, nobody is the wiser.

FYI, I did a Cushcraft A3S antenna in camo for the neighbor. He has trees in back of his property. Unless you know where to look, it blends in pretty good.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
7,165 Posts
CB's are still in use today, but not like there were 20-30 years ago. It also really depends on where you live as to what kind of usage there is.
You can probably find a CB radio in the garage, basement or attic of nearly every home of anyone born in the 50s through 70s. They need only 12V battery and a simple wire antenna to talk locally. They are still selling well on Amazon. Although CB would not be my first line of communications, it would still be in my toolkit.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
You can probably find a CB radio in the garage, basement or attic of nearly every home of anyone born in the 50s through 70s. They need only 12V battery and a simple wire antenna to talk locally. They are still selling well on Amazon. Although CB would not be my first line of communications, it would still be in my toolkit.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
I have them and use them from time to time. They are easy and don't require a license, so it works at times. If SHTF I think they will make a resurgence just for simplicity. When I was driving a lot, both commercially, and otherwise they were great for traffic reports. Most people now though just use the cell phone, I guess they won't be happy when the tower goes down.

·
Registered
456 Posts
There are tons of CB radios still being sold in the US and worldwide.

I think what may have led to the decline in activity was that there was a peak during the oil crisis when everyone bought one. Also Home Owners Associations don't permit outside antennas so you won't see many house antennas in suburbia. Everyone now has cellphones so they have a false sense of security in that they dont need a CB. But they will when SHTF.

That said, a CB with AM/SSB capability is an essential piece of gear to have if you are a prepper. Installing a hidden antenna at home if you are in an HOA is not that difficult. If you want a mobile installation, a LARSEN NMO-27 is a perfect antenna for most vehicles. If you have a newer jeep with plastic roof, you need to be creative. Every antenna needs a counterpoise. This means an RF ground return for the radiating element. I suggest an ARRL handbook and ARRL antenna book for research. Many of the "CB" sites have poor information.
New here. My property is 80 acres at the end is a long lake. Any idea what range one would get from home base? Cheers

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Lots of depends..........1/4-1/2 mile at least.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Very common for rural - agricultural comms between farm and field here in WV. Typical rigs are Uniden President as base with Antron 99 vertical and radial kit mounted on highest point of house or barn, and any cheap CB mobile with 108-inch whip on pickup, tractor, etc. Reliable to 5 miles point to point with sporadic E-skip as occasional entertainment.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
7,165 Posts
New here. My property is 80 acres at the end is a long lake. Any idea what range one would get from home base? Cheers
The horizon on smooth earth would be about 5 miles from an antenna on a mobile to another, much longer with an elevated base station antenna. With line of sight over a lake you might do that well. It does depend a lot on noise level which can be quite bad in some vehicles.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
My cheapo speaker wire dipole antenna cost me about 5 dollars to make and performs as well as a $150 commercial job in which a lot of what you’re paying for is just fiberglass. Tip of my rig is 40 feet in the air and locally I get out 15 miles on average but have talked 800 miles over skip running 4 watts.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Sat in a boat on a lake in N. Ga, talking to Honolulu on a hand-held CB years ago.
Dependable range, however, was more like 25 miles with a good, roof mounted antenna and full power CB.
Terrain is everything.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts