Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep general vehicular safety tools and equipment tucked away in a small storage compartment under the floor board in the back of my SUV (flares, chem lights, tools, tow chains, jumper cables, etc), but the space is too limited to store a proper car bag and everything it entails. I have been leery about keeping one in the car so far because people here will break into and steal absolutely anything they see in a car - even if it looked like some crappy kid's back back.

They've literally broken into my car just to steal a pair of prescription sunglasses

I would feel pretty steamed and stupid if some crack head walked off with a couple hundred in critical supplies in a matter of 30 seconds.

How do sub/urban preppers keep your car bags safe and out of sight?

(FYI, the back seat is occupied by two car seats - room is pretty limited - outings with the kids is like prepping to go to battle)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
what kind of SUV? when we traded in our Enclave after 10 years, they opened a secret compartment behind the 3rd row seat we never knew even existed. it was big enough for a bag.

when we bought the new Honda Passport, it too had that secret compartment in the same location. Most people don't know they are there, so maybe you have a spot you don't know about?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what kind of SUV? when we traded in our Enclave after 10 years, they opened a secret compartment behind the 3rd row seat we never knew even existed. it was big enough for a bag.

when we bought the new Honda Passport, it too had that secret compartment in the same location. Most people don't know they are there, so maybe you have a spot you don't know about?
Not sure, but I'll look into it.

I have a 15 grand cherokee. It has a couple decent sized compartments under the trunk floor board next to the spare, but not nearly big enough

·
Registered
345 Posts
In all of our recent vehicles you could store these items in the hidden compartment in the trunk, in one vehicle it was with the spare tire, on another the tire was underneath the vehicle so that comprtment was even bigger. Only the minivan my wife had a few years had no such compartment.

If you don't have such compartment, have you considered a false bottom in the trunk? Keep your stuff in an as flat as possible tote/box/whatever and create a false bottom above it out of plywood lined with carpet so it looks OEM and no one can tell your hiding something underneath.

·
Indefatigable
23,196 Posts
I've lived in the city and kept supplies in my vehicle for 40 years. Only once, did anyone break in and they stole $100 worth of groceries and big bag of newly purchased OTC meds and FAK supplies from the cargo area. They didn't touch the stereo or paw over the glove box or console. They didn't take the tools, the water, FAK itself, or tent, all of which were tied down in bags in the same cargo area. It was parked on a downtown street at the time. At home it's behind a locked fence and locked garage.
The BOB, large or pared down, depending on the circumstances, moves with me.
The SUV is old (2005) and looks like hell. Although it runs like a dream which is why we still drive it. It's not worth a 2nd look, not memorable, not worth stealing or stealing from.

·
Registered
11,390 Posts
I wa responding to a multi unit apt fire with the ARC handing out housing vouchers and had my EDC bag stolen out of my car while sitting between 2 police cars it was in the cargo area of a suzuki grand vitara. Couldn't get the cargo door open so that means they climbed in through the side door In front of the cops.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have a locked .30 cal ammo can under one of my seats chained in place.
I don't keep anything in it 24/7 , just for those times when it may come in handy.
It isn't fool proof but I doubt the majority of smash and grabbers are running around with bolt cutters on them.

But do keep things out of sight because even if that item is worthless ..... the hassle of replacing your smashed window is an inconvenience.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Very tough to do, and I live on a ranch with big guardian dogs.

I wanted to securely store some items in my soft top jeep, and I ended up installing a locked toolbox.

Since my soft top could be opened with a knife (or just using hands to unzip) I dont bother to lock the doors.
View attachment 457103
It will prevent folks from taking your stuff, but having it visible is like saying to bad guys there is something good here to take so that might attract folks into braking into the car with hopes of getting into the box. So you stuff might not be stolen but car might still be damaged. It's fine in a Wrangler as it's anyway open, nothing to damage on the way to the box.

·
Michigander
1,281 Posts
First thought, take the bag out & with you... always. P.I.T.A., I know.

Second thought. Spend an afternoon hiding all of the contents of the bag in whatever hidden spaces you can find in the vehicle, then keep the empty bag under a seat. If needed as B.O.B., you just have to repack it. ALSO a P.I.T.A., but at least it would be there.

Third thought: Misdirection. Ever see those fake Pepsi cans that you can unscrew and fill with stuff. Hollowed out books. A case of water that has things hidden in the middle section, etc. A "nasty" afghan that Aunt Polly knitted thrown in the back, with a secret pocket area. CAREFULLY unstitch the back of a seat or two, reinstall with velcro. Make storage within that space.

Forth ... Is there enough space underneath to secure some kind of compartment. A length of 4" PVC painted black with a screw cap on each end zip tied up and out of the way.

·
Lux in Tenebris
8,454 Posts
I keep general vehicular safety tools and equipment tucked away in a small storage compartment under the floor board in the back of my SUV (flares, chem lights, tools, tow chains, jumper cables, etc), but the space is too limited to store a proper car bag and everything it entails. I have been leery about keeping one in the car so far because people here will break into and steal absolutely anything they see in a car - even if it looked like some crappy kid's back back.

They've literally broken into my car just to steal a pair of prescription sunglasses

I would feel pretty steamed and stupid if some crack head walked off with a couple hundred in critical supplies in a matter of 30 seconds.

How do sub/urban preppers keep your car bags safe and out of sight?

(FYI, the back seat is occupied by two car seats - room is pretty limited - outings with the kids is like prepping to go to battle)
my sorrento suv has secret space under deck too, and i have a large, trunk box w a lock on it, cabled to the front passenger seat bracket, they are gonna work real hard to get that...

·
Lux in Tenebris
8,454 Posts
my sorrento suv has secret space under deck too, and i have a large, trunk box w a lock on it, cabled to the front passenger seat bracket, they are gonna work real hard to get that...

also have my windows limo'd out w black tint and a curtain just behind the driver and passenger seat, as i often sleep in suv when in the mountains....prevents cops from being nosy too.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
window tinting has strict legal limits here.

apparently, there is hidden compartment under the driver seat as well. Probably good for dedicated car-only items (flares etc.)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a 17 GC. I vac sealed different components and shaped to fit under the deck with the tire. Cloths, shoes, water bottles, camp stove, etc.
I also just have a black trailer box in the back. It's locked (witu disc locks) and cabled in.

ETA: i also got this.
IKON MOTORSPORTS, Cargo Cover Compatible with 2011-2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK, Beige Vinly+Aluminum Rod Tonneau Cover Retractable https://a.co/50XaL5w

·
Registered
268 Posts
I wa responding to a multi unit apt fire with the ARC handing out housing vouchers and had my EDC bag stolen out of my car while sitting between 2 police cars it was in the cargo area of a suzuki grand vitara. Couldn't get the cargo door open so that means they climbed in through the side door In front of the cops.
When everything is out of place, nothing looks out of place. The best time to pull a heist is either in the middle of the night or in the middle of SHTF,

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
At work we had a few Jeep SUV's and we made a two side by side slide out drawers out of wood and hid it under a plywood deck with carpet on the top, you could only access the drawers by opening the back. It was just tall enough to stash rain gear, fire extinguisher etc; no one ever noticed it and it held up.

Similar to these except ours were built on the cheap and was only 6'' tall : Truck/SUV Drawer Buyer's Guide - Expedition Portal

·
Work in progress
1,504 Posts

Ours has a lot of storage under the back “floor“, not large enough for a packed bag, but big enough to have the contents and bag stowed separately and room for even more. It has a low profile but is like a full “basement” in the back. So tools, shovel, tow straps, some extra clothes are all in there. If we needed to take off for what ever reason, pack what items we need and go, not quite as handy as the bag being packed, but the car looks empty to the light fingered “your stuff is mine” types.

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
Very tough to do, and I live on a ranch with big guardian dogs.

I wanted to securely store some items in my soft top jeep, and I ended up installing a locked toolbox.

Since my soft top could be opened with a knife (or just using hands to unzip) I dont bother to lock the doors.
View attachment 457103
I do the same.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts