Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have been following my posts, you probably know my main interest is in primitive living skills, more so than prepping for a collapse (although, with the state of things...).

One of the things I have done in my journey from modern family camping to the ever coveted Primitive living skills/ modern cave man, was to learn some basic Archery.

I have a modern compound bow, and I am now exploring making primitive bows and arrows. I have a limb from an Ash tree that I plan to carve into my first bow, and i recently noticed that the bushes by my back door have limbs long enough, straight enough and thick enough to make arrow shafts if I were to harvest them.

My aim is not perfect, but I think I could take dinner up to about 40 yards, which is what hunters tell me is the average range for a deer shot.

I know most people have put great thought into thier guns, but have you considered archery? especially primitive archery where you learn to make your bow, and arrows form natural materials that would be found in the open wilderness?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Congratulations on getting ready to make your first bow.:thumb: We made bows at Rabbit Stick a few years back and we each made another one at Dirt Time this last summer. My son is the expert there again. That kid can be shown somthing once and he works until he perfects it. He makes his out of Osage Orange wood. Those make a powerful bow that takes a bit of strength to pull back. Ash is good for those nice long bows because the wood can give so much without cracking. Best of luck and show us your progress if you have a camera.

Have you even gone to Rabbit Stick or other primitive skills gatherings? I might have met you there. We go to a couple each year.

BLT

·
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never been to a primitive skills gathering. I am doing this all on my own at this point.

If I had the money to travel, I would. I would love to vacation at one of the big survival schools.

·
Where da' gold at?
566 Posts
Wish i could go to a gathering or a school. There ain't any in my area. I would hate to take a course in primitive living that doesn't even teach viable skills such as plants that apply to my area. I guess I'll keep learning on my own.

·
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get Botany in a Day if yu don't already have it. it teaches you to recognise entire plant families.

For the most part, plants in the same family, have similar uses.

There are exceptions though. For example, Tomatos and Deadly night shade are in the same family. Although it's easy to recognize the differences.

All the other skills would be transferable to almost any enviroment. Things like basic shelter building, fling knapping, and the making of primitive tools and such. All those skills would apply or transfer over to anywhere.

·
Where da' gold at?
566 Posts
Get Botany in a Day if yu don't already have it. it teaches you to recognise entire plant families.

For the most part, plants in the same family, have similar uses.

There are exceptions though. For example, Tomatos and Deadly night shade are in the same family. Although it's easy to recognize the differences.

All the other skills would be transferable to almost any enviroment. Things like basic shelter building, fling knapping, and the making of primitive tools and such. All those skills would apply or transfer over to anywhere.
Got Botany in a Day and it has been a big help.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Havent really considered primitive archery but I sure as heck have a serious love affair with my compound bow and carbon arrows.

I like hunting with my bow much more than I do my guns. These days I spend a lot of time taken deer and turkkey from wood lots close to urban centers and have nailed some nice deer in these areas that defy logic. The best part is Im the only one thats ever out there! Mastering bow hunting will also make a much more skilled hunter as you have to pay attention to details a lot more like camo, sound control, scent control and have a more intimate knowledge of your quarry in order to get close enough to get a shot on a game animal before they get the drop on you. Want to be a much better hunter? Start bow hunting!!!

The other aspect of bow hunting is that you can practice from a tree stand in your own back yard and not have to explain it to the police like you would if you brought your rifle out much less actually shot it. The fact that I can always step out side and let a couple dozen fly is great and keeps me sharp and on target. The more you practice the better you will potentially get.

Might have to progress into the primitive side of archery one of these days...

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I've bowhunted for years. It's fun. I would never depend on it for survival. I'm not knocking you for it, in fact, more power to you. I have a couple dozen arrows, broadheads, etc. and one sweet compound bow, BUT

I have thousands of rounds of .22 ammo. I can shoot a lot of things for very cheap with my .22. I would feel much more confident with a .22 over a bow anyday. However, to each his own...

·
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The nice thing about the bow, is long term you can make as many arrows as you like, and the ammo is reusable.

I am actually of the mindset to get this primitive archery thing down, and buy 50,000 to 100,000 rounds for my BB gun, rather than a .22

I have a daisy 880. At 8-12 pumps it will take out rabbits, probably Turkeys and Goose too. With the ammo so cheap, I could buy a life times amount without really feeling it.

If I did buy .22, It would be as currency.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The nice thing about the bow, is long term you can make as many arrows as you like, and the ammo is reusable.

I am actually of the mindset to get this primitive archery thing down, and buy 50,000 to 100,000 rounds for my BB gun, rather than a .22

I have a daisy 880. At 8-12 pumps it will take out rabbits, probably Turkeys and Goose too. With the ammo so cheap, I could buy a life times amount without really feeling it.

If I did buy .22, It would be as currency.
Interesting. But .22 ammo is cheap.
I have killed a rabbit with a BB gun, a long time ago. I have thought about getting a nice pellet / BB gun....mainly just to shoot with the kids.

·
Where da' gold at?
566 Posts
I have just recently gotten into archery. I used to shoot when I was younger, but only at targets. A friend is letting me borrow his recurve, but since I can't change some settings on it, such as nock height and such, my accuracy probably isn't as good as it could be. I practice when I can, some days are better than others. I'm trying to kill a deer with my new crossbow before I really go at it with the bow. I've gone a few times with the bow, but hunting and trapping this year has sucked so far.
I plan to get a recurve this summer so I don't have to borrow one, maybe one I can also rig for bowfishing. I decided against a compound, nothing against them, but I would like to ease myself into a hand made bow, or at least a commercial bow thats as primitive as I can get.

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
archery season is my deer season ...i rather archery hunt over rifle anyday...
i do hold alot of stock in my rifles but can hit bulleye with my bear bow at 40 yads NP :thumb:
if i were to Bug out...i would take my bow

·
Registered
37 Posts
Am getting ready to purchase a longbow myself. Had a compound some years back, but didn't like the idea of all the moving parts that could go out of whack/need adjusting. The only concession I'm making on the longbow is it will be a take-down for ease of transport. Also going down in draw weight to a 50# on the premise I could more easily make an arrow that would take that much thrust than one that might not survive 60#.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I used to shoot archery a lot when I was younger and went bowhunting a few times but never got anything. One of my News Years resolution is to get back into archery and take up bowhunting this year. I have most of the equipment I just need to get off my lazy butt.

·
A country boy can survive
336 Posts
I started out hunting small game with a .22lr, and then progressed to rifle hunting for big game by about age 9. I took up bow hunting, with a compound, when my dad got into it. I was about 14 then. I started traditional archery about 10 years ago. I took up building my own bows, and arrows several years ago, although I am not into flint knaping or making broadheads. I prefer commercially available broadheads for there extreme sharpness. Recently I have taken an interest in blackpowder hunting. I took several deer this year with my .50 TC and a fat doe with the stick bow. (18 yards away, double lung shot, she ran 20 yards before falling stone dead. My most recent project will be a hand crafted recurve once the wood has cured properly and I have all the materials. So I guess you could say I have been bow hunting for about 20+ years with about half of that with traditional gear.

T2E

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
I share your feelings on primitive skills and am interested in it as well, first bow I made pretty much exploded when I pulled it back. Looking back on it though, I realized the things I didn't do right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts