Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Prepared
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a S&W M&P15 in 5.56 NATO. im looking to reload my ammo for this gun. any problems shooting reloads through M&P15's? Is the brass itself any different between a .223 and a 5.56 round? Thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts
Brass walls are thicker on the NATO cartridges, and after decapping you need to remove the primer crimp with either a swager or something else. I have the RCBS swager, which fits in a single stage press, works great. You may also get away with using a chamfer tool, but don't take too much off or the primers will pop out.

Jim

·
Prepared
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think ill stick with reloading .223's. and are reloads gonna cause any problems in my gun? i just wanna make sure before going out and getting reloading equipment it i cant use it

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
If you reload correctly no problems. If you accidentally give one cartridge a double-load, your rifle could explode in your face!

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
If you reload correctly no problems. If you accidentally give one cartridge a double-load, your rifle could explode in your face!
I don't think you could double charge a .223 case without noticing it.
My loads almost fill the case to capacity. Double charging would overflow the case and spill out.

It's still a good idea to visually inspect each case after charging with powder to insure that all cases are filled consistantly. I use an RCBS loading block so all cases can be inspected side by side, all at once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts