Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive shot one a few times and have now decided to build one over th enext year or less

trouble is - I have no idea where to start ar15.com is overwhelming - any suggestions?

Id rather buy it in parts and build it rather than buy a complete and change parts out leaving me with useless junk

·
Registered
296 Posts
I built my second AR but only after owning a bushmaster carbine for 12 years. It helped me to know what parts to order because I knew how to take it apart. Many sites have kits you can buy as a whole minus the lower which is the only part you must pass a background check on. Check http://www.model1sales.com/ for kits on the cheap. You can either get a lower at a gun show or from an online dealer and have it shipped to you local ffl and for a transfer fee and then they will do the background check. I hope this helps.

·
Gone Postal
550 Posts
Ive shot one a few times and have now decided to build one over th enext year or less

trouble is - I have no idea where to start ar15.com is overwhelming - any suggestions?

Id rather buy it in parts and build it rather than buy a complete and change parts out leaving me with useless junk
I bought my lower and upper separately as completed assemblies. Since then, I've replaced my A2 upper with a flat top upper, and replaced the standard handguards with a YHM free float tube.

I got my info on the assembly/disassembly of the upper, as well as the barrel nut torque spec from AR15.com.

·
Been around
370 Posts
AR15.com can be overwhelming -- but if you spend a little time there, it's a treasure.

Check the library for the step-by-step pictorials on building an AR. It's not that difficult -- most of the issues are deciding what parts to use. Once you've done that, just follow the pictures to assemble.

You can completely build both the upper and the lower -- or you can buy completed or kit version of each. Completed uppers/lowers tend to cost less than the individual parts.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Go to m4carbine.net:thumb:

But take some waders with you, a lot of snobbery and holier than thou attitude over there.

Just ask questions, there are more than a few of us that know what it takes to make a reliable battle worthy AR.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
I've considered "building" one but I decided to buy a basic DPMS Oracle and then fine tune it to the way I want it.

I believe the general group of like 10-12 makers are all quality these days. I wanted the basic structure and workings to mesh well and be dependable. My needs are mostly ergonomic.

I spent $600 of the "naked" rifle and another $300 on the upgrades (not including optic - I'm thinking about an Aimpoint)

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts

Don't go building one based on "shot one a few times" worth of experience. If you "don't know where to start", then you dont know enough about the platform in the first place.

I have seen it time and time again where someone "built a rifle" and it doesn't work right, is not what was expected, or still gets changed later. It is true you can save $100-$300 by ASSEMBLING one on your own, but to do it CORRECTLY you will need $300 worth of tools.

Just like reloaded bullets, I will not purchase a home-build unless I KNOW the guy.

For the first rifle, its best to buy one made at a factory. That way if it blows up in your face, your widow can sue someone.

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that gave me a chuckle! but did make sense - perhaps I will look at a factory built model and go from there once I have sent about 5000-10000 rounds down the tube.

i just have this need to tinker with things and thought it'd be a good project - perhaps my lack of platform knowledge would cause me to waste money trying to "figure things out" so thank you all - ill keep researching and see what comes up as fitting me best for a factory complete

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
But take some waders with you, a lot of snobbery and holier than thou attitude over there.

Just ask questions, there are more than a few of us that know what it takes to make a reliable battle worthy AR.
+1. They are rabid fan boys and chart worshipers.

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
which is something im not looking to be a part of - so i have decided to check out Bushmaster weapons and narrow it down once I get into a shop and see what I see - thanks all

·
I almost guarantee it
448 Posts
Don't go building one based on "shot one a few times" worth of experience. If you "don't know where to start", then you dont know enough about the platform in the first place.

I have seen it time and time again where someone "built a rifle" and it doesn't work right, is not what was expected, or still gets changed later. It is true you can save $100-$300 by ASSEMBLING one on your own, but to do it CORRECTLY you will need $300 worth of tools.

Just like reloaded bullets, I will not purchase a home-build unless I KNOW the guy.

For the first rifle, its best to buy one made at a factory. That way if it blows up in your face, your widow can sue someone.
That's very true. You can't build a gun if you have no idea what to build. Reading stuff online isn't the same as shooting it yourself. Most builds are based on personal preference. My dream gun is different than yours so don't build what I suggest, build what works for you.

Also, if you're half way there, maybe waiting on some parts in the mail or whatever and the S Hits The F then you're stuck with a half a gun... how cool is that?

You're gonna end up with extra parts no matter what you do, I'd put money on it. I suggest keeping those extra parts just in case something breaks or you change your mind about something. I've sold gun parts and I wish I still had them. I've even built new guns from old parts after buying a couple more parts to finish the job... more guns :thumb:

·
Registered
128 Posts
you can save a little money but not much of your are using high quality parts.
It is almost as cheap to buy a decent name brand since they have economies of scale.

However, if you build it yourself, you will really know how ti operates and how to work on them

·
Victory Loves Preparation
576 Posts
Here is a great comic on how to take care of an M16.

http://www.ep.tc/problems/25/02.html

You can always check out ar15Armory.com as a web
site. They are as friendly and welcoming as folks here.
They have a beginners section and all kinds of info.
They seem to be down for maintenance right now.

http://www.ar15armory.com/
For anyone interested in print this document, here is a link to a site you can download it as as Adobe Document:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/23372337/...fle-Operation-and-Preventive-Maintenance-1969

·
457 Posts

Oh yeah! You got that right. :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts