Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all you AR experts out there......
I am mounting a 2 point sling on my rifle... the question where to mount it?

Some of the military operators I am seeing on youtube attach the sling near the end of the barrel and others mount it half way up the forend.

I am not an expert in AR combat tactics but do understand and have taken training on using a sling to stabilize your shot.

In the end is this just a personal preference thing or does one offer and advantage over the other?

HK

·
Registered
16,580 Posts
It's personal, and it depends on several things, like do you do the hasty sling thing, do you have a vertical grip, do you ever swap it to a single point, do you carry it on your shoulder like your dad carried a bolt gun, or do you sling it across your back with the barrel down.... etc., etc.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am familiar with the hasty system. The rifle is bare except for a red dot optic......no other bling. My thoughts are to carry it a way for quickest access and easiest target acquisition. I am familiar with these rifles, I do train, but they are not my first choice when I head out to the range for a number of reasons.

HK

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Totally personal preference. I use two points on my AR's and other rifles. What kind of fore end do you have? If it's MLOK it's easy to attach a sling swivel. Magpul makes a good one with their QD swivel. There's also various ways to attach to the front sight post. It just depends what you like and what works best for you.

Attachments

·
What hell, pay attention
8,988 Posts
I use a two point and like the front part of the sling more forward than back. I also prefer them mounted on the inboard side. I dont normally set them up as a shooting sling, but as a carry sling.

For the guns that have a front sight tower, I use one of the GG&G mounts.....

If its got a rail type front end, I use something that attaces to whatever the rail uses.

QD type swivels are better too. Just makes things easier.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Depends on the gun. Short barrel, ill a single point on the buffer tube end plate. I like HK style clips and a bungee. That lets me switch to two point easily if the situation demands.
Longer rifles, im gonna go with a two point toward the end of the forend that way i can use the sling on the off hand to stabilize the shot

·
Lux in Tenebris
8,076 Posts
i go old school (israeli sling) like we did back in the day, 550 around front sight to hk clip to sling, and 550 around the receiver/stock to hk clip and sling..

another option is w a retractable stock, kinda the same, but at the end.

i do NOT suggest qd connects, as they have and will fail, leaving you ****ed...this comes from a good buddy of mine who had several deployments downrange, personally experienced them, and had his troopers experience them, went back to 550 and hk clips...

we did not have that option in the 80's, so really old school stuff, we had the Riggers make us some slings out of webbing, **** the gi issue black sling, that thing sucked...they also made us LBE kit out of webbing too, some really talented craftsmen and women..they made some nice coin on the side too...

\\ymmv
Air gun Trigger Water Gun barrel Font

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I run two qd mounts on my AR forends. One back by the receiver, one near the muzzle. I switch between them as needed - need sling support? Muzzle end. In a building, or doing a lot of rifle manipulations? By the receiver.

As far as qd failures, buy quality and you won't have the failures. If you buy off Wish, then yeah, probably a bad thing. Especially if you don't properly seat them.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I think it's very much a personal preference matched to your shooting style.

With a two-point, I mount the sling at butt stock rear utilizing the stock's existing rearmost sling slot. Up at the front of the fore end, I attach where a military M4/M4A1 would feature the factory sling swivel. Like in this photo (Old School sling back in early 2002 Afghanistan; a time before today's excellent commercial combat slings):

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Engineering

I've never been fond of QD attachments. I've seen too much Murphy stuff to truly trust them.

Not around water ops these days to where I might benefit from the ditch-my-weapon-in-a-hurry option. Many slings today come with Fastex quick release buckles that suit that purpose anyway. I just never found usefully routine need for the QD click attachment feature. If I wanted to put the gun down, I just unslung it from my body. Sling stayed with weapon instead of with me. Not against them, just never needed them.

With a single point, I normally attach just behind the AR pistol grip, to an added receiver plate sling adapter. Like these:

In the below picture, the attachment location for my single point is that visible silver ring (attached to a GG&G receiver plate) where the buffer tube joins the receiver:
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Combat vehicle Shotgun

Blue Force Gear offers wire loops that are useful if you anticipate high rates of fire (and nylon melting barrel heat) while attaching tubular nylon, webbing, or paracord to a front sight base, barrel, or anything else that might get real hot). It also allows you to attach odd slings to odd places on odd weapons.

·
Lux in Tenebris
8,076 Posts
I think it's very much a personal preference matched to your shooting style.

With a two-point, I mount the sling at butt stock rear utilizing the stock's existing rearmost sling slot. Up at the front of the fore end, I attach where a military M4/M4A1 would feature the factory sling swivel. Like in this photo (Old School sling back in early 2002 Afghanistan; a time before today's excellent commercial combat slings):

View attachment 438217

I've never been fond of QD attachments. I've seen too much Murphy stuff to truly trust them.

Not around water ops these days to where I might benefit from the ditch-my-weapon-in-a-hurry option. Many slings today come with Fastex quick release buckles that suit that purpose anyway. I just never found usefully routine need for the QD click attachment feature. If I wanted to put the gun down, I just unslung it from my body. Sling stayed with weapon instead of with me. Not against them, just never needed them.

With a single point, I normally attach just behind the AR pistol grip, to an added receiver plate sling adapter. Like these:

In the below picture, the attachment location for my single point is that visible silver ring (attached to a GG&G receiver plate) where the buffer tube joins the receiver:
View attachment 438216

Blue Force Gear offers wire loops that are useful if you anticipate high rates of fire (and nylon melting barrel heat) while attaching tubular nylon, webbing, or paracord to a front sight base, barrel, or anything else that might get real hot). It also allows you to attach odd slings to odd places on odd weapons.

i see M67 there w Charlie Don't Surf ak mag carrier...some old school kit mate...simple, functional...

we used the pin rings for **** like that, still have em as key rings...i swear i could use em as breaks for rappelling if need be, stout mofo's.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
53,672 Posts
I use a two point and like the front part of the sling more forward than back. I also prefer them mounted on the inboard side. I dont normally set them up as a shooting sling, but as a carry sling.

If its got a rail type front end, I use something that attaces to whatever the rail uses.

:D I like your targets. I don't know who's face is on the second target but I'm going to pretend that it's Jane Fonda.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I actually run further back mine back (mid/rear) on the hand guard. I Tried it at the fwd end of hand guard. found that I didn't like the way my support hand and watch could get caught in it when transitioning. Using a C clamp it rubbed the back on my hand and annoyed me.

That being said most of my ARs have shorter barrels, some type of hand stop or grip used as a hand stop. if they didn't I would mount further fwd.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts

I dig the Vietnam green also. I run that on my traditional M4 carry handle 16".

For pistols, I am fine with single point QD using the brace, although I have Magpul MS4s to give a choice for one or two on all war guns.

·
Registered
16,580 Posts
i go old school (israeli sling) like we did back in the day, 550 around front sight to hk clip to sling, and 550 around the receiver/stock to hk clip and sling..

another option is w a retractable stock, kinda the same, but at the end.

i do NOT suggest qd connects, as they have and will fail, leaving you ****ed.
That may have been true back in the day....and still is if you mix and match the VERY low budget bits and pieces on Amazon.(y)

But even the middle of the road stuff today is rock solid as long as you stay within one maker's gear. The "spec" for the QD gear isn't as tight as one would prefer for completely dependable interoperabillity. 😉

·
Space Force Recruit
3 sticks of butter and a can of Cheez-Whiz
2,010 Posts
For me it largely depends on barrel length. For an AR/AK pistol or similar style it usually gets mounted close to the front sight, anything with a 16" barrel or longer gets mounted midway between the end of the barrel and the front of the receiver. Something like a rifle with a 24" barrel would probably end up closer to the receiver more than the muzzle end.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I like the sling mounted close to the magwell. That way whether I have my left hand far out front in a c-clamp grip or in close to the magwell for cqb the sling stays out of my way. A 45 degree q/d mount is perfect for this and also comfortable when slung or at low ready.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts